(#11 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-17-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
My list surely includes: Anime, Manga, Maid, Cute, Sushi

but the bigger part would be: Hiking, Yaeyama-shoto, Hokkaido, Tohoku, Shikoku, Nara, beach, forest, shrine, camping,.....

so i guess i want to see both worlds, or i actually do.
I can only agree and wish that more people would step of the beaten track to see the other side of Japan. Away from Hello Kitty, Yamanote line and 24h internetcafes. Go out and hike the Alps, fly to Okinawa and travel the small Ilands (only the flight is expensive, food and accomodation are really cheap down there), explore the south east coast of Kansai,..... so many beautifull stressfree places!

But still you wouldnt want to miss: one afternoon in Akiba, wandering through the market in Ueno, one night in Shibuya, tempels in Kyoto, Osaka,....

What fascinated me most the last 10 month in this country is the diversity of this country. This country is so rich in contrasts that its sometimes overwhelming. Standing in a street in Tokyo, Mcdonalds on my right and Sega world on my left and seeing some guys in traditional clothes carry a shrine through the middle of the street just left me speechless.

If you want to see "real" Japan, you will have to see both worlds!
I missed Anime ..

I also missed bridges

Cheers - Oz
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-17-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabijuice View Post
Duly noted, glad people are paying attention.
Are you on a role?

Cheers - Oz
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

05-17-2009, 05:49 PM

Hello, I know I haven't posted here in many months, but hey I was bored and I still had the bookmark...

I don't see why Tokyo has to be such a hellhole, I fully enjoy it. I get what you're trying to say OP but you are generalizing too much. Yes ofc you are right in alot of what you say, but alot of people here actually _do_ read a bunch of manga, do cosplay etc etc (and not only sweaty otakus). It is fine to have hobbies and interests (even obsessions), just don't let it harm other people (and don't demand that others should fit into your fantasies).

Personally I like a person who is a little nutty (but still takes care of their shit) way better than a boring stiff who doesn't dare to enjoy their interests.

なんでやねん!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
kageofrock (Offline)
New to JF

05-17-2009, 06:14 PM

i agree that your raising a valid point but as many people have said i love japan not just for the manga, anime and cosplay but also the chery blossoms, great food, onsen, temples, sake, mountains and the general beauty of the country.

but yeah many people do need to read your post my brother is one of them

tama-chan the best god damn thing to slide, swim and fly the earth along with naked ladies
(#15 (permalink))
Old
AnthraxAttack (Offline)
JF Regular

05-17-2009, 06:16 PM

You have not considered that many people actually seek to the japanese megatropolises, to live in huge, efficient (well, sometimes) and exciting cities.

But i kind of agree with you and see what you are trying to say. Japan is more than Tokyo and cartoons.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Piddy (Offline)
吸血鬼

05-17-2009, 06:18 PM

I already knew about this to a part, but now I know more. Thanks, interesting point you made there. When I go to Japan, I'd like to see both "versions".

ピッディ
(#17 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-17-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
Hello, I know I haven't posted here in many months, but hey I was bored and I still had the bookmark...

I don't see why Tokyo has to be such a hellhole, I fully enjoy it. I get what you're trying to say OP but you are generalizing too much. Yes ofc you are right in alot of what you say, but alot of people here actually _do_ read a bunch of manga, do cosplay etc etc (and not only sweaty otakus). It is fine to have hobbies and interests (even obsessions), just don't let it harm other people (and don't demand that others should fit into your fantasies).

Personally I like a person who is a little nutty (but still takes care of their shit) way better than a boring stiff who doesn't dare to enjoy their interests.
I'm going to agree with this - people who go to Japan because they enjoy manga, or think ninjas are cool or want to see the bright lights of Tokyo don't have any less valid reasons than those who want to see the countryside and natural beauty - their views are just different. Yes, obviously there are those who are overly obsessive and have built up an unrealistic expectations based on Japanese pop culture, but it's perfectly possible to like these things and still have a good time in Japan.

I'm an anime/manga fan. I went to Akihabara, Harjuku, Shinjuku, the ninja village recreated in Koka etc. I also went to temples, shrines, mountains, hot springs, gardens and had a great time all round. I know there are extreme and bad examples of anime fans, but that doesn't mean someone who goes to Japan because they are interested in anime and pop culture should just stay at home.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#18 (permalink))
Old
pumpum (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-17-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabijuice View Post
Hi everybodies, I'm new here

I just have to say that its great that a lot of young people are interested in Japan and its culture. However there is a significant portion of the country you are all overlooking. It is the backcountry. Yes there is more to Japan than Tokyo, Shinjuku, Akihabara, Roppongi or those other hell holes. The real Japan lives offf the beaten track in the mountains. The urban areas of Japan comprise only 25% of the land area. Conversely the rural areas comprise 75% and contain only 25% of the population!!! Take a look at a Japan from space picture and you'll see this beautiful green archipelago, not some awful concrete covered heat island that is the Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya megalopolises. Better yet, take a train ride from the Pacific side to the sea of Japan side and you'll see the most amazing, rugged mountains, and beutiful valleys.

If you go to the real Japan the people are not interested in manga, anime, ninjas or such other crap that most of the people posting here care about.
To think that manga, anime , and ninjas are representative of Japanese culture would be to say that, beer, maple syrup and hockey sticks are representative of Canada. Yes they are part of the culture, but by no means all of it.

In the real Japan you can buy a house for a few thousand dollars! You can rent a house for a free or almost free. (provided you have a visa) But most of you young people here have only a limited idea of the TV image that you see or the internet image. Wake up young people! Get to Japan, travel outside of the hell on earth pressure cooker that is Tokyo and you'll see for yourself. Better yet go to Tokyo or any other major city in August, bring lots of white T-shirts and deodorant, cause your going to need it. Then imagine having to work in this awful heat and humidity, then imagine having to ride your bicycle to work and not turning into a puddle. Imagine yourself crammed into a subway car full of similarly sweaty, balding old guys . Not cool is it now?

I suggest making a list of about 20 words that are the most important for you for wanting to go to, or live in Japan. Take some time now and do it. If in your list of 20 words contain any of the following:

ninja, manga, anime, inuyasha, sushi, cute, hello kitty, cool, last samurai, kawaii, pink, cosplay, maid, youth tribe, Then please stay home.

If however, your list includes any or all of the following words:

nature, beautiful, snow, surf, ocean, beach, Hokkaido, Okinawa, hiking, mountain, outdoors, no cops, no rangers, no rules, cheap, free, inexpensive, healthy food, rent free, cheap rent, Then by all means come and explore the real Japan.

Oh and study Japanese and culture before you get here, keep your voice down and be polite. Leave your longboard and rollerblades in the coin locker in Tokyo. Do a homestay, as well as stay in a dorm or apartment. Stay in some youth hostels and gaijin houses, get a feel for the place before you decide to move. Better yet, get a job offer before you decide to come here , unless you can get a working holiday visa. And by alll means get outside of the megalopolis!! It's cool for a while, but it aint coool forever, trust me.

I welcome all questions, comments and criticisms, please.
Here is my comment - this is probably the best post i have ever seen on JF.

The things that come to those who wait are the things that are left by those who got there first !
(#19 (permalink))
Old
wasabijuice (Offline)
JF Regular

05-18-2009, 12:38 AM

asdfasdfasdf

Last edited by wasabijuice : 12-04-2009 at 08:01 AM.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-18-2009, 12:57 AM

Add into the list for earning about the "other" Japan ......spending some time exploring the incredibly rich arts history and contemporary arts community in Japan.... other than the current media/pop type music and graphics artists that are so overtly popular with the younger folks.

best,

................john

PS: Tohoku is gorgeous!