JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Testament33 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Testament33 Send a message via MSN to Testament33 Send a message via Yahoo to Testament33
Am i on the right track so far? - 05-26-2009, 08:22 PM

So after getting positive replies from my other topic on here, i decided to see if im on the right track so far for heading to Japan (well i have a plan but im not 100% sure its effective)

But for now im 17 and im going to finish High school next year in 2010. Then since my parents doesnt have a college fun im attending Community College with my own money so i can finish the basic core classes. Then i want to transfer to Art Institute of Atlanta hearing that they have a course for Graphical Designs for Video Games and im going to get ATLEAST if not more, then a Bachelor's Degree in it.

What i want to do is be a Video Game designer in Japan, working for big name companies like Namco. Im already skilled at drawing, mostly anime/manga stuff and i want to know the rate or how difficult it is to land my dream job there? Since i think Japan is the best place for game designers (especially me since im more skilled in anime/manga drawing then anything else)

So am i on the right track so far? is there anything i need to know before i follow this plan through?

Favorite Movie of all time~ 5 Centimeters per Second woot!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-26-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testament33 View Post
So am i on the right track so far? is there anything i need to know before i follow this plan through?
Where does "learning to speak Japanese" fit in?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-26-2009, 11:41 PM

MMM, you have to admit he IS on the right track if compared to the vast majority of users wanting to live in Japan. He has an education plan laid out so could get a visa.

I say to try to stick a good year of Japanese classes *in Japan* on there after you`ve graduated. That will give you the chance to learn Japanese language and culture in the country while working on building the connections you`ll definitely need if you want to work for a large company.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-26-2009, 11:50 PM

I do think it is a pretty good plan, better than most we see here, for sure. However, I think starting that foundation for Japanese study should be sooner rather than later. It can be done and still fit into the plan, I am sure.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Testament33 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Testament33 Send a message via MSN to Testament33 Send a message via Yahoo to Testament33
05-28-2009, 01:28 AM

oh, i forgot to say that i AM taking Japanese classes once High school ends. My high school doesnt offer Japanese classes but i'll be taking from basics to advance (hopefully) once i hit college years. I'll be doing both class studies and independent studies. I AM doing independent studies right now (through reading like 4-5 Japanese language basics books) but my resources are limited. Hopefully classes can help me more.

EDIT: I would probably take advice as well to take more classes once i reach japan. Im not some kid going to visit Japan to experience it and then return to America. I want to be part of the Culture as well and experience it to the fullest. From the Languages, Culture, food, etc. etc. I think Japan as one of the most incredible (and interesting) cultures compared to the other cultures of the world (not saying they all suck) My stay at Japan would be permanent. Funny as im Chinese/Vietnamese >_> and would rather immerse myself in Japanese culture...eh oh well, my interests are to me and to me alone :/

And as testament to my drawing skills, i -CAN- upload a few pictures i've drawn ( i do NOT own a scanner BUT i can ...take a snapshot picture and place it up if it helps >_>) so you can see what im working with. No im not an Otaku, i dont watch anime, but i prefer drawing manga-style....maybe i can be a manga-ka as a sideline

Favorite Movie of all time~ 5 Centimeters per Second woot!

Last edited by Testament33 : 05-28-2009 at 01:50 AM.