JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ACW (Offline)
JF Regular

Would like some advice about going towards Japan - 05-27-2009, 03:11 AM

Hi, this is my first post on the "Japan Forum" so I thank you for your time and patience. I'm in my third year of college and I am planning on teaching English in Japan after I graduate. For the previous three semesters I have been learning Japanese in class and in my free time. I've been mostly practicing grammar a lot and learning a little Kanji. Up to 200 so far I believe. Anyways my first question would be am I on the right track concerning the Japanese language? Should I keep studying now or wait till I go to Japan? I only ask this because learning another language in your native country can be quite hard.

Next I've been saving money for Japan so I can rent an apartment, pay for key money, etc. whenever I go. I was wondering what a single room apartment with a western toilet, washing machine, and bath would cost. I lived in a apartment in Niigata but I did not have to pay for it since it was provided by the university I was attending. I have no idea on the expenses

Next, I was looking at Jason's guide to Japan, particulary the cover letter and resume as well the different teaching programs in Japan. I was interested in JET but found that it's selection of teacher's is like playing Russian roulette blind-folded. I also heard about the shady business practices of INTERAC with English teacher's. I was wandering, has anyone had any interactions with other companies such as Geos, ECC, Berlitz & Aeon? Any advise from current or past teacher's would be wonderful. Oh as well would anyone like to add anything a part from what Jason said in his guide concerning cover letter and resume?

I would like to live in the country-side, the real side of Japan. I've been to Tokyo but I don't want to live in all of that hustle and bustle. Plus I don't think I would learn more about the Japanese language than I will in the country-side. I want to be forced to be speak Japanese haha. I was wandering where would be a great place for me to learn Japanese as well as teaching English where it's most needed?

Well thank you for your time. Any further advice would be great as well. Once again thank you.

-Andru
(#2 (permalink))
Old
wasabijuice (Offline)
JF Regular

05-27-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACW View Post
Hi, this is my first post on the "Japan Forum" so I thank you for your time and patience. I'm in my third year of college and I am planning on teaching English in Japan after I graduate. For the previous three semesters I have been learning Japanese in class and in my free time. I've been mostly practicing grammar a lot and learning a little Kanji. Up to 200 so far I believe. Anyways my first question would be am I on the right track concerning the Japanese language? Should I keep studying now or wait till I go to Japan? I only ask this because learning another language in your native country can be quite hard.
Learning now certainly won't hurt. But if you've got a decent level now you can relax a little, and work on saving more money if you want, it may help in the long run.

Quote:
Next I've been saving money for Japan so I can rent an apartment, pay for key money, etc. whenever I go. I was wondering what a single room apartment with a western toilet, washing machine, and bath would cost. I lived in a apartment in Niigata but I did not have to pay for it since it was provided by the university I was attending. I have no idea on the expenses
Thats tough, but I would assume 4man/month, after your settled, you can look around more. Try and get your work to cover the key money etc. this way you can move out if you want to.

I never was an ALT but I think they've got it made, 80% of the time.
Never worked for a big Geos type either, but those teachers really bust their arse working,(as opposed to most ALT, sorrry) and I respect that.

I think you'd learn more about teaching from a small school in the sticks, with one or a few teachers. Any owner run school is going care about training you properly, more than worrying about the bottom line.

Quote:
I would like to live in the country-side, the real side of Japan. I've been to Tokyo but I don't want to live in all of that hustle and bustle. Plus I don't think I would learn more about the Japanese language than I will in the country-side. I want to be forced to be speak Japanese haha. I was wandering where would be a great place for me to learn Japanese as well as teaching English where it's most needed?
What kind of weather do you like? How many hours from the neon? etc... more info needed please.

Hope this helps
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ACW (Offline)
JF Regular

Weather, hours, etc. - 05-27-2009, 04:27 AM

I'm pretty much adaptable to any kind of weather. I lived in a state where the winters were freezing, lived in a country where it was just plain hot, and now I'm living in a state that's hot & humid. I'm pretty much adaptable to Japanese weather haha. I know there's hardly central heating and cooling units in most apartments, but I actually found ways around it

As far as hours go I would work at least 48 hours a week. As long as I have one day off I'm fine. I've been doing those kind of hours for a couple of years and I'm not complaining haha.

I did ponder the idea of going to a owner controlled school. I feel like it working in a flexible business environment with help will be great. I researched and found that some businesses want you to follow a set guideline of teaching English in class. But I feel like that would be kind of monotanous (or however you spell it).

I tried to reasearch these kind of schools as well but I am having trouble. If anyone could show me a credible website containing information about owner controlled schools, that would be great.

Also, I have this nagging question in the back of my mind. I know that in order to get a working visa and to teach English you need a bachelors degree. I've heard that they'll take any kind of degree but I have to ask. I'm majoring in Business Administration. Do you think that would hurt my chance to work as an English teacher?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-27-2009, 04:49 AM

You might find this sticky useful:

Graduate from college if you want to live in Japan.

Not many language teachers get over-fulltime. If anything you'll be working less. There is lots of competition for hours.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ACW (Offline)
JF Regular

05-27-2009, 05:03 AM

Thanks for the sticky MMM.

I was looking through a website recently and found that most businesses offer at least 29 hours. Maybe I can give private lessons on the side. But thats probably after I get a feel for teaching of course and had some experience.

I have a question. When you get close to completing a one year contract, is it possible to renew another one for a set amount of time if the government or business allow it?

Last edited by ACW : 05-27-2009 at 05:06 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ACW (Offline)
JF Regular

05-27-2009, 05:13 AM

Looked through your sticky and it pretty much got rid of the nagging question I had about my college degree.

Thank you!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-27-2009, 05:29 AM

Good!

Yes, renewals for contracts will happen a certain number of months before your visa expires.

Keep in mind that at least chain schools, and private schools surely too, have strict rules about out-of-school fraternizing...whether it be socializing, or even worse, private lessons. Tread carefully in this area.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
ACW (Offline)
JF Regular

05-27-2009, 05:44 AM

Thank you for the advice. I think I'm going to play it safe and not do private teaching.

I think I see the reasoning behind it in a business aspect.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ACW (Offline)
JF Regular

05-27-2009, 05:55 AM

I have another question actually. How much would a bike cost in Japan?

And is there any paper work to fill out for a work visa? Will the government give you the proper documents when you find a job in Japan?

Last edited by ACW : 05-27-2009 at 06:00 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-27-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
I have another question actually. How much would a bike cost in Japan?

And is there any paper work to fill out for a work visa? Will the government give you the proper documents when you find a job in Japan?
Bicycle or motorcycle?

It is difficult to go to Japan and search for work without a visa, as technically it is illegal to be hired this way, as far as I know.

The best bet is to find a job, and have them deal with the visa business...it should cost you nothing, really.

Gaijinpot.com is one place to look for openings.