JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Reutte (Offline)
New to JF

Unhappy Bank Troubles bleh... - 06-10-2009, 05:29 AM

So I have a sorta question/ problem. So since I've been in japan since September I qualify for some sort of program that gives money to gaijin. I received a letter from the government about two weeks ago with all the paper work. All I have to do is open a bank account and that's where the problems start. I can't speak Japanese very well. So I was told to go to Citibank. I just got back from Citibank and I can't open an account there because I can't keep the minimum account requirements which means keeping 500 USD in the account at all times. Nor do they give you a bank book apparently. Citibank told me they can't help me. So now I'm stuck. Does anyone know of a bank that would have english speaking staff that would let me create a bank account and provide me with a bank book?

To get the money, I need to send in a copy of my alien registration card and a copy of my bank book and I can't figure out how to make the account. I really don't want to give up on the money either. It would be really helpful.
I just want to open the account, get the money and then close the account right away.

Thanks for any help/advice.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-10-2009, 05:41 AM

Try Shinsei bank. I don't know if they have any branch offices near you, but there are a few in Tokyo. The one nearest Tokyo station (on Yaesu Dori) has English speaking staff. I don't think they have a minimum balance requirement, and you can use your ATM card fee free at any 7-11.

I have no idea why you don't have a bank account, or why you don't want one, this is 2009, is it not? Living under the financial/credit radar will make it difficult to do things like finance a car or home, or get insurance, which is fine for hillbillies, but not for most normal people.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Reutte (Offline)
New to JF

06-10-2009, 05:55 AM

I have a bank account in the US where all my money is. I have travelers checks in Japan for the rest of my money. I'm studying abroad in a different country for only a year which means no houses, cars, insurance whatever. I would say that most students who study abroad probably don't get a bank account in the country they visit unless they get a job and that's a whole different story.

I didn't need a bank account until this whole situation started. But I will check out Shinsei bank. I don't live too far from Tokyo station so it wouldn't be hard to get to.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kcyk8703 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-10-2009, 06:01 AM

You can open a bank account through the postal service to receive the money. Call their english hotline and find out. Mind you it costs 20 yen per 10seconds if you call from a cell.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Reutte (Offline)
New to JF

06-10-2009, 06:05 AM

Thanks, my host family has a land line so if I can't get a bank to help me I could try the post service.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-10-2009, 06:10 AM

Really, every student I knew had a bank account. Dealing with traveller's checks all the time was such a hassle and you had to carry cash for everything.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

06-10-2009, 06:15 AM

I have friends who don't have a bank account that were able to apply for the stimulus money by going down to their respective ward office and talking to them about it. I don't know what the process is aside from that, as I have a bank account and applied for it normally, but apparently it can be done.

Don't you have anyone that can help interpret for you? It's super simple to open a bank account in Japan...

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Reutte (Offline)
New to JF

06-10-2009, 06:20 AM

I wish I had someone to interpret for me but no. I'm stuck. All my friends at at my level of Japanese or only slightly better or worse. And I don't have any Japanese people that I would feel comfortable asking. My host mom doesn't speak English either.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Reutte (Offline)
New to JF

06-10-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Really, every student I knew had a bank account. Dealing with traveller's checks all the time was such a hassle and you had to carry cash for everything.
They had a Japanese bank account or an American account?

I have an American account but that's no good for the stimulus money. It must be a Japanese bank. And yes, I only carry travelers checks and I only use cash for everything. I've used my debit card once in the last 9 months. Most of my friends here in japan do not have Japanese bank accounts. They just use their credit/debit cards to take money from their accounts in the US via ATM. Only one of my friends had one and that was just for the stimulus money. She closed the account right after she got the money. My bank was going to charge my 5% per transaction which is why I opted for travelers checks.

Last edited by Reutte : 06-10-2009 at 06:39 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-10-2009, 07:27 AM

You should be able to apply for receiving the money in person at the government office?
There is an option allowing those who are unable to have the money deposited into an account to pick the money up at the office - although depending on the area it may be quite a bit later than the date set for it to be deposited into accounts. I understand that the more residents there are in an area the later it becomes.
So you shouldn`t technically have to open an account in order to receive the money.

You say you have a host mother - you should have received documentation in both Japanese and in other languages. I`m going to say that it`s pretty much a given that she also applied, so will know exactly what it is. It shouldn`t be that hard to have her help you even if she doesn`t speak English. If you`ve been living with her since September you should be able to communicate with her at some level.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.