LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-05-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjornTobyWilde View Post
I taught in a university where the "boys" and "girls" wouldn't go near each other. I never tried a ten foot pole, but I don't reckon it would have helped...

They all seemed to prefer touching me. I'm not sure what most Japanese guys think about western women here, in terms of their sexuality. One of my female friends was shouted at by some old guy who said "Go back to America! You American women only come here for sex!" - Japan being such a sexual utopia for gaijin girls!

One other thing, mercedesjin, have you tried speaking in a low voice? High-pitched voices make it sound like you're trying to be cute, apparently.
Oh, that's exciting. :/ I hope that's not a popular view of American women.

You're right, I noticed that thing about voice pitch too. I was a little younger, so my voice was naturally a little squeaky. I got called cute a few times for it. I'm definitely going back with the deepest voice I can manage, though. Do you think that would make people think I'm "one of the guys"?

LOVE: pass it on
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

07-05-2009, 12:25 PM

You know, I heard this from others, but in my schools there doesn't seem to be such a barrier between the sexes.

In fact, I think when I constantly have to tell a pair of students to be quiet, it's almost always a boy-girl pair.

And I find students in general, even with each other, and even with me are far touchier than American teens. I now regularly use my students as arm rests, regardless of whether it is a boy or a girl, because they seem to find it hilarious when I do it. The fact that it is clearly okay is something that was very hard for me to grasp at first.

I'm more worried about going back to America and being weirded out by students "frigidness" if I teach there. Things I think would clearly get me slapped with sexual harassment in the States, and would have never thought of doing to/with my students before coming here, have now become routine and normal. Obviously, it's important to note that while I have great affection for my students, there's nothing beyond that.

Oh, and an addition to the topic: Japanese people talk in elevators.

I can't do it. Freaks me out.

Last edited by Tsuwabuki : 07-05-2009 at 12:36 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
BjornTobyWilde (Offline)
New to JF

07-06-2009, 12:54 PM

I often physically move my students around, for example when putting them into groups. I wouldn't dream of doing that back home. The idea of physically dragging British college students is just surreal.

Another thing: I just got a haircut and the guy cutting it starting trying to tell me about how poorly endowed he is. My Japanese isn't great so it required some imaginative gestures for me to understand! I'm not sure that would happen at home. It's happened a few times now in Japan and my Japanese doesn't stretch to "it's what you do with it that counts" etc. I just nod sympathetically.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
BjornTobyWilde (Offline)
New to JF

07-06-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
Oh, that's exciting. :/ I hope that's not a popular view of American women.

You're right, I noticed that thing about voice pitch too. I was a little younger, so my voice was naturally a little squeaky. I got called cute a few times for it. I'm definitely going back with the deepest voice I can manage, though. Do you think that would make people think I'm "one of the guys"?
I think you'll just have to work really hard on being generally unattractive. Talk in a deep voice and blow your nose loudly and regularly. That'll scare off any unwanted suitors!
(#15 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-06-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I think you'll just have to work really hard on being generally unattractive. Talk in a deep voice and blow your nose loudly and regularly. That'll scare off any unwanted suitors!
lol okay, I'll keep that in mind because I'd like guy friends.

(#16 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-06-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
lol, that list is funny. Thanks for sharing it.

I think "Grab Other's Private Parts" should be added to that list. At the all girl's school I attended, there was one too many hands trying to grab my breasts.
What IS it with that? I didn't get it anywhere near so much as others, but yeah. Every now and then, Boom! Hands out of ~nowhere~.

Especially creepy when it's old ladies (kimono-fitting, a much more alarming experience than it should be); although that did allow us to determine over time that the universal sound effect for boobs is 'buh-boing!"

And maybe it was just the people at my uni, but a lot of boy-to-boy spanking. Make of that what you will.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
BjornTobyWilde (Offline)
New to JF

07-08-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
What IS it with that? I didn't get it anywhere near so much as others, but yeah. Every now and then, Boom! Hands out of ~nowhere~.

Especially creepy when it's old ladies (kimono-fitting, a much more alarming experience than it should be); although that did allow us to determine over time that the universal sound effect for boobs is 'buh-boing!"

And maybe it was just the people at my uni, but a lot of boy-to-boy spanking. Make of that what you will.
Does anyone know if Japanese teachers (and their boobs!) are treated the same way? The Japanese teachers I've met have all be quite prim and proper so it's hard to imagine it.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-08-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know if Japanese teachers (and their boobs!) are treated the same way? The Japanese teachers I've met have all be quite prim and proper so it's hard to imagine it.
I don't know about women, but I've read blog with a male teacher who described kids making a game out of who could grab his ding-dong the most during the day. It was pretty funny to read, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

(#19 (permalink))
Old
thcuteness (Offline)
Banned

07-08-2009, 11:23 PM

Wow i learned things i never knew before
(#20 (permalink))
Old
vaskajaheta (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to vaskajaheta Send a message via Skype™ to vaskajaheta
07-08-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
I don't know about women, but I've read blog with a male teacher who described kids making a game out of who could grab his ding-dong the most during the day. It was pretty funny to read, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
HAHAHA! was laughing so hard after reading that...