LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

07-06-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
With that amount as a single person it was plenty. I was able to save quite a bit in three years, and still never missed an opportunity to travel and enjoy myself.
that sounds really good.

It's so easy, To think about Love, To Talk about Love, To wish for Love, But it's not always easy, To recognize Love, Even when we hold it.... In our hands."
--Jaka

(#12 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

07-06-2009, 08:21 PM

check this article out: http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-...ex.pl?read=139
It gives me second thoughts about teaching in Japan.

It's so easy, To think about Love, To Talk about Love, To wish for Love, But it's not always easy, To recognize Love, Even when we hold it.... In our hands."
--Jaka

(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-06-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato289 View Post
check this article out: Being a teacher in Japan
It gives me second thoughts about teaching in Japan.
I have met people like this in Japan, and the US, and so you have to read between the lines.

In general ALT positions are filled by fresh, young college grads. In general they last 1 to 3 years, with the rare teacher making it more than 5. ALT jobs are not intended to be life-long careers. So, yes, the needs of the career teacher will almost always outweigh the needs of the temporary one.

Look what he said...he liked his old job, but two of the schools had a problem with him, so he was let go. Then a teacher at another school had a problem with him and decided she didn't want to teach with him. Hell, I probably wouldn't have wanted to teach with him, either.

Yes, Japanese schools have systems and bureaucracies that will remain in place long after the gaijin teacher leaves. You are invited to teach in Japan to work within that system. If that doesn't work for you, then you won't last long in Japan.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

07-06-2009, 08:56 PM

MMM, whats a good salary for a family of 4?

--Jaka

(#15 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

07-06-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I have met people like this in Japan, and the US, and so you have to read between the lines.

In general ALT positions are filled by fresh, young college grads. In general they last 1 to 3 years, with the rare teacher making it more than 5. ALT jobs are not intended to be life-long careers. So, yes, the needs of the career teacher will almost always outweigh the needs of the temporary one.

Look what he said...he liked his old job, but two of the schools had a problem with him, so he was let go. Then a teacher at another school had a problem with him and decided she didn't want to teach with him. Hell, I probably wouldn't have wanted to teach with him, either.

Yes, Japanese schools have systems and bureaucracies that will remain in place long after the gaijin teacher leaves. You are invited to teach in Japan to work within that system. If that doesn't work for you, then you won't last long in Japan.
thats true.

--Jaka

(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-06-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
MMM, whats a good salary for a family of 4?
I have never lived as a family of four, so it is hard for me to say. I know some can do fine on 300,000 a month, but location and needs (car or not, etc.) will affect that.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

07-06-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I have never lived as a family of four, so it is hard for me to say. I know some can do fine on 300,000 a month, but location and needs (car or not, etc.) will affect that.
Im dont really want live in big cities like Tokyo. Im just looking for a small cheap town and calm. any place u recommend?

--Jaka

(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-06-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Im dont really want live in big cities like Tokyo. Im just looking for a small cheap town and calm. any place u recommend?
Small towns in Japan? There are thousands. It would depend on so much more than my opinion. The main factor is not where you want to live, but where is hiring.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

07-06-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Small towns in Japan? There are thousands. It would depend on so much more than my opinion. The main factor is not where you want to live, but where is hiring.
i hope i can find a good place.

--Jaka

(#20 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

07-06-2009, 09:53 PM

hey MMM, i just read ur post " I dont want to live in Japan" and it really helps me think over again about living in Japan. Great post.

--Jaka