JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-09-2009, 07:14 AM

Good points, Nyororin. "Fan Death" popped in my head (heck, maybe she has Korean relatives), but it is likely the money issues (though, health wise I always feel dried out after sleeping in a room with the AC on all night, no matter what temp.)
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

07-09-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Good points, Nyororin. "Fan Death" popped in my head (heck, maybe she has Korean relatives), but it is likely the money issues (though, health wise I always feel dried out after sleeping in a room with the AC on all night, no matter what temp.)
Well, when I was living in Phuket, my wife always turned it onto 28, as well. Probably should have mentioned that before. Yet it was not a superstition\retardation, it was simply a comfortable temperature. But I usually turned it onto 15 (lowest temp), coz it reminded me of home. Freeze my wifes arse off but.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Reutte (Offline)
New to JF

07-09-2009, 07:56 AM

Wow, tons of replies.

@sarasi- So that's where the whole 28 degree thing originates from in Japan. I was really curious because 28 seems like an odd number to stick your AC. Plus it doesn't seem like at least for me, very comfortable, but it's a different culture and attitude. I'm suprised because I guess I couldn't imagine anyone like telling people to not use their AC and people actually doing it. I don't think people would cooperate too much in the US for something like this.

I will definitely respect her wishes with the AC. I do understand that electricity is expensive and considering the fact that she's hosting me which already costs money, I don't think it would be kind of me to drive up her utility costs any more that I have too. I will grin and bear it. And start sleeping with the fan on and no blankets.

@Tenchu- The lowest I ever set it at was 23 which was comfortable for sleeping. If I used it during the day it was at either 24-25.

I've never heard of fan death. If anything I'm slightly worried about the cord overheating and causing a fire since the house and the fan are a but old. And I know there are no smoke alarms in the house. I'm from Seattle where people freak out if it hits 85 degrees Fahrenheit. I've never lived in a such a humid or hot climate before.

@Nyororin- I think it's really funny that you mentioned Hawaii cause my host mom took a one week trip to Hawaii in April and she's going to Switzerland in August. She travels a lot. She is older and does reuse plastic wrap. lol.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-09-2009, 08:00 AM

Sounds like you have a frugal host mom. If you want her to have good memories of your stay, please do what she asks. It's her home. Take a wet washcloth with you to bed and put it on your forehead. That might help you sleep.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Reutte (Offline)
New to JF

07-09-2009, 08:07 AM

I found that the fan has worked well so far but if it gets hotter than I will take your advice MMM and use a wet towel. I do want my host mom to think of me fondly after I leave.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-09-2009, 08:25 AM

Hm, must be the electricity thing. Out of curiosity, what part of Japan are you living in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Sounds like you have a frugal host mom. If you want her to have good memories of your stay, please do what she asks. It's her home. Take a wet washcloth with you to bed and put it on your forehead. That might help you sleep.
I was about to suggest this. My mother told me that she did this when she was pregnant with me. That particular NY summer, it was hotter than usual, so at night, she'd wet a towel and drape it over her body to help her sleep at night. She said it did keep her pretty cool.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-09-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reutte View Post
I found that the fan has worked well so far but if it gets hotter than I will take your advice MMM and use a wet towel. I do want my host mom to think of me fondly after I leave.
I have found in Japan in urban areas the temperature really doesn't cool at night in summer, but that little bit of air movement might help, so ask if opening the window is an option.

Probably not, as the humidity might lead to mildew, but worth asking.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-09-2009, 08:29 AM

Speaking of wet towels...
I know this will probably sound quite odd but here goes.

Try wetting the soles of your feet (with towel) when you get into bed, and have the fan hit them. It does wonders for making your body feel cooler than it actually is.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
07-09-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post

Try wetting the soles of your feet (with towel) when you get into bed, and have the fan hit them. It does wonders for making your body feel cooler than it actually is.
Haha this is very, very true..I've noticed it when i've been out camping before.

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

07-09-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post

Are you serious?

This is Japan; I live in south Thailand with no air conditioner, only a fan. It isn't that bad. Harden up, people.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…