JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-09-2009, 09:53 AM

Tenchu, that's like telling someone who grew up in Florida, who had to move to...Washington DC, for example, and the temp is at like 50 degrees Fahrenheit to "toughen up", as the 50 to that person would be considered "cold". It probably takes a while to adjust to, especially if one isn't used to it.

The same can be said about those who grew up in cooler climates (like the OP being from Seattle) and then thrown into a place where it's hot and humid during the summer. I'm sure the OP will adjust sooner or later.

For where I am, it usually gets up to the 90s in the summer, although, so far, we haven't had many high temperatures for this year. I'm not fond of heat, and I use a fan at night all the time to help me sleep, as I sleep way better when in a cool/cold atmosphere (the air conditioner usually doesn't come on at night; it's set to come on once the temp in the house gets to 75 degrees Fahrenheit [That's about 24 degrees Celsius I think]). Anywho, we get the heat usually, but not the humidity as much, so for me, if moving to Japan, I'd have to "adjust" to the humidity.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

07-09-2009, 09:55 AM

I don't use my air conditioners much at all. I do use a fan. But I'm from Texas and my happy temperature is 85F. Anything colder and I freeze. Winter is the opposite, I have to run the heater or else bundle up so tightly moving is impossible.

Also, bah, metric. English System 4 lyfe. *gang sign*
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-09-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Are you serious?

This is Japan; I live in south Thailand with no air conditioner, only a fan. It isn't that bad. Harden up, people.
Er, I don`t think it`s that horrible to want to feel cooler if possible?

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-09-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
I don't use my air conditioners much at all. I do use a fan. But I'm from Texas and my happy temperature is 85F. Anything colder and I freeze. Winter is the opposite, I have to run the heater or else bundle up so tightly moving is impossible.

Also, bah, metric. English System 4 lyfe. *gang sign*
Funny. For me, I rarely use heat since I like cold, as it's easier to warm up, than it is to cool down.

At times, since the rest of the family needs the heater in the winter, I usually close up my vent, and crack my window, and it could be 40 out. For me, anything below 80 is ideal. lol 70s work nice for me as well.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

07-09-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Er, I don`t think it`s that horrible to want to feel cooler if possible?
Yes, but you're talking about putting wet towels on your forehead and feet... that is pretty extreme for Japan. I wouldn't do that unless I was in the Gobi...

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#26 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

07-09-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Yes, but you're talking about putting wet towels on your forehead and feet... that is pretty extreme for Japan. I wouldn't do that unless I was in the Gobi...
Too bad not everyone is like you and how everyone is different.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

07-09-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Funny. For me, I rarely use heat since I like cold, as it's easier to warm up, than it is to cool down.

At times, since the rest of the family needs the heater in the winter, I usually close up my vent, and crack my window, and it could be 40 out. For me, anything below 80 is ideal. lol 70s work nice for me as well.
You're also not used to walking around in shorts on Christmas Day or seeing less than an inch of snow only every five years. I haven't adjusted, and after 24 years of living in one of the hottest states in the Union, I doubt a year and a half in Japan is going to have made me adjust!

The amount of snow in Japan floored me. Driving in it was frightening, and the fact my schools (I live in the mountains) have so much snow they have DORMS attached in case we get snowed in was just surreal. On the flip side, I finally had to have a real snow ball fight for the first time in my life. If that much snow showed up, the entire state would shut down. Schools sure as heck wouldn't be open!
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

07-09-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I wouldn`t put a wet towel on my forehead, but wiping feet before sleeping doesn`t seem that extreme.
That said, I don`t think I`ve ever done it in Japan - only when I was little and had no control over fans/AC in the room.

In my experience, people who love the heat / are comfortable at high temperatures tend to think they`re going to die or freeze to death in cold winters.

(#29 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

07-09-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I wouldn`t put a wet towel on my forehead, but wiping feet before sleeping doesn`t seem that extreme.
That said, I don`t think I`ve ever done it in Japan - only when I was little and had no control over fans/AC in the room.

In my experience, people who love the heat / are comfortable at high temperatures tend to think they`re going to die or freeze to death in cold winters.
*raises hand*

Rationally, I know it would take very extreme temperatures to kill me, but certainly once you start pushing below 50F, I find it difficult to concentrate. If the temperature actually gets below freezing, I am pretty much unable to do anything but the most basic of tasks, and my body literally insists that if I can help it, I should do nothing but sleep.

I certainly can't do anything mentally intricate in very cold temperatures.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

07-09-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
*raises hand*

Rationally, I know it would take very extreme temperatures to kill me, but certainly once you start pushing below 50F, I find it difficult to concentrate. If the temperature actually gets below freezing, I am pretty much unable to do anything but the most basic of tasks, and my body literally insists that if I can help it, I should do nothing but sleep.

I certainly can't do anything mentally intricate in very cold temperatures.
Hahaha. I don`t even own a winter coat. I had one, but never used it, and then we used it to wrap furniture when we moved and it tore. I never replaced it. All I have is a light jacket now for winter use.
Japanese winters are almost pleasant to me on the cold scale. Nagoya isn`t all that cold at all, nor is Fukui where we spend the most time away from home.

I do think I`ve gotten weaker to the cold living in Japan though - back before I moved here I didn`t even bother wearing a coat at all unless it was below freezing... And walking through the snow in a skirt didn`t even faze me.