JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-25-2009, 07:07 AM

This all pretty much answers my question, thanks guys.

And kudos to everyone for the mature handling of this controversial topic.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-25-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
Wow, interesting, Nyororin.

I brought up this thread because when I was in Japan, one of my classmates was housed with a Mormon (or Jahova's witness, don't remember) family -- which I thought was really strange that even these sub-religions have bled into Japanese society.
In Japan, I had a very attractive Japanese lady approach me and started to chat with me in English. This was my lucky day I thought until she tried to convert me to a Jehovah Witness. I politely told her I was a minister and thanked her and left. I didn't think too much about it when I saw her walking my same direction.
On the following Sunday at 7 AM (after a late night at a club with my girlfriend) my doorbell from the lobby rang and woke us. I answered on the camera phone and saw a familiar African American lady asking me if she could talk to me about the Jehovah Witnesses. When I told her no, she said the other lady told her I might be more comfortable speaking with a fellow American. Now, the reason I knew this lady was she worked as a Hip Hop dance instructor for my girlfriend's school and was fired for being rude to the students, parents, and my girlfriend. Since she couldn't see me, she was very surprised when I told her "I know you are that horrible dance teacher who was fired from that school. I never would join a religion that would have a person like you in it." She left quickly.
The Mormon kids were very nice and helpful to others. I was never rude to them because they didn't push you.
I think lonely Japanese people will join these religions as a way to socialize more than a deep seated belief in their philosophy.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#23 (permalink))
Old
rilakkuma (Offline)
New to JF

08-25-2009, 02:03 PM

I have only been living in Japan for about a month now.. but I lived with a host family for about two weeks. One night at dinner the topic of religion came up and the mother asked if I was Christian or Catholic or anything. I told her no, I am not- instead I believe in respecting the earth, and all animals and people on it. She told me that was very Japanese and that I should stay in Japan because I would fit in well.
I know it's just one Japanese person's opinion- but maybe it gives you an idea
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-25-2009, 04:21 PM

I think that the most common Christians in Japan are actually of the Mormon/Jehovah`s Witness type. It has to do with actual mission activities. Other types of Christianity don`t seem to share the strong desire to get out there and recruit ("save"?) people.
I am also going to agree that it is usually more because of a desire to join a social group and to receive social support rather than a deep interest or belief in the teachings. Japanese attitudes toward religion in general are a lot looser than those in traditionally Christian countries, so it seems to me that even if they "convert" the level of seriousness is lower in most cases.

Anyway, I really don`t think that the numbers are really rising. But they could probably double and you wouldn`t notice as they`re so low to begin with - especially if you keep in mind that many of the missionary groups allow you to convert in a 30 minute session standing in your genkan. I wonder how many "converts" actually follow up and attend any church or gatherings.

But missionaries do make great cookies.
Excellent cookies.
I`m always really nice to them while expressing that I`m not really interested... And they always give me cookies.

Tons of cookies. For weeks on end.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 08-25-2009 at 04:23 PM.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-25-2009, 04:31 PM

Jesus loved cookies, too.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
08-25-2009, 05:20 PM

huhu, after living in Japan for almost 2 years, I've never been approached by people who try to convert me in their religion.. huhu= save for now..

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#27 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-25-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I think that the most common Christians in Japan are actually of the Mormon/Jehovah`s Witness type. It has to do with actual mission activities. Other types of Christianity don`t seem to share the strong desire to get out there and recruit ("save"?) people.
I am also going to agree that it is usually more because of a desire to join a social group and to receive social support rather than a deep interest or belief in the teachings. Japanese attitudes toward religion in general are a lot looser than those in traditionally Christian countries, so it seems to me that even if they "convert" the level of seriousness is lower in most cases.

Anyway, I really don`t think that the numbers are really rising. But they could probably double and you wouldn`t notice as they`re so low to begin with - especially if you keep in mind that many of the missionary groups allow you to convert in a 30 minute session standing in your genkan. I wonder how many "converts" actually follow up and attend any church or gatherings.
I don't live in Japan, but I would like to chime in on this.

There is no "time period" to convert to Christianity. You also don't have to be in a church, don't need a pastor, or anyone for that matter. You don't have to have a certain clothing, or be a certain character. In being saved (yes that's the christian term for it, as in belief in what Christ did), you free to decide on how you do things, and on how you go to church. A lot of people who are saved (I'm going to use this term as it fits more then convert, you only believe in a set of core beliefs, hence why there are so many denominations). You really are not required to go to church, it's only out of love and faith does one go. In Christianity, which is based on the bible (so you don't have or should not take anyone word for it, unless they can back what they say up with quotes from the bible) the only way into heaven is through Christ, not by following the ten commandments, a set of rules, baptismal, or going to church. These things are only done out of faith, and love for Christ. That leads me to another point, even Christians fall, and "sin" (or be a hypocrite as some will call), the bible clearly states no one can lead a sinless life, and no one can lose there salvation (same as being saved).

English standard bible

1 Corinthians 10:23
"All things are lawful," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful," but not all things build up.

Romans 14:21
It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble.

Galatians 5:13
For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

I post this to explain some things to others who might not know how Christianity works.

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-25-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemnclockwork View Post
I don't live in Japan, but I would like to chime in on this.

There is no "time period" to convert to Christianity. You also don't have to be in a church, don't need a pastor, or anyone for that matter. You don't have to have a certain clothing, or be a certain character. In being saved (yes that's the christian term for it, as in belief in what Christ did), you free to decide on how you do things, and on how you go to church. A lot of people who are saved (I'm going to use this term as it fits more then convert, you only believe in a set of core beliefs, hence why there are so many denominations). You really are not required to go to church, it's only out of love and faith does one go. In Christianity, which is based on the bible (so you don't have or should not take anyone word for it, unless they can back what they say up with quotes from the bible) the only way into heaven is through Christ, not by following the ten commandments, a set of rules, baptismal, or going to church. These things are only done out of faith, and love for Christ. That leads me to another point, even Christians fall, and "sin" (or be a hypocrite as some will call), the bible clearly states no one can lead a sinless life, and no one can lose there salvation (same as being saved).

English standard bible

1 Corinthians 10:23
"All things are lawful," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful," but not all things build up.

Romans 14:21
It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble.

Galatians 5:13
For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

I post this to explain some things to others who might not know how Christianity works.

This is not about the technicalities of Christianity. Go spout your religious views somewhere else.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

08-25-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabyte117 View Post

This is not about the technicalities of Christianity. Go spout your religious views somewhere else.
What's with the hostility? I'm still shocked at how negative and hostile people are towards religious folk. It's kinda disturbing!
(#30 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-25-2009, 09:48 PM

The question was answered to the OPs satisfaction, so I am closing the thread here.
Closed Thread