LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-28-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurasake41 View Post
See, that's what I figured--I've been to Japan before, but that was only for ten days, so I'm just wondering if the one-way ticket would be a problem.

If the certificate doesn't get here in time, I'm seriously thinking about just going on a tourist visa and mailing everything to the san francisco consulate once I get to Japan. I don't want to get in trouble, though (even though I don't know how they'd be able to tell or what they could do about it).
The US doesn't give you a visa, it's Japan, so the SF Consulate will be no use to you once you are in Japan.

I am assuming you are in Tokyo, so you (and your school) will need to contact immigration offices in Tokyo.

Were you a late add? What is the school recommending you do?
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-28-2009, 06:45 PM

I am sure you saw this:

NIHON UNIVERSITY OFFICE OF INTERNATIONAL DIVISION

It says getting the visa is your responsibility, which makes me think you might want the college student visa before entering Japan.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
sakurasake41 (Offline)
New to JF

08-28-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
The US doesn't give you a visa, it's Japan, so the SF Consulate will be no use to you once you are in Japan.

I am assuming you are in Tokyo, so you (and your school) will need to contact immigration offices in Tokyo.

Were you a late add? What is the school recommending you do?
I'm in Las Vegas now, I'm leaving for Tokyo in September (on the 10th specifically).

I don't think so... I was a bit later than the others (since Nihon wasn't my first choice, but I didn't get into Waseda or Keio so I chose Nihon instead) but I was in way before the deadline. And when I got my letter of acceptance they told me that I would receive my Certificate at the end of August, but it's... getting close to the end of August and still haven't received it. The school just tells me that they'll send it as soon as they get it, but I get the feeling they're not pressuring the immigration office at all so I'm thinking about contacting them myself (from Las Vegas).
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

08-28-2009, 07:38 PM

I don't think you can really 'pressure' the immigration office - they're a government agency, they work as fast as they feel like.

A one way ticket with a tourist visa is not a good idea. I've heard of people getting into Japan on a tourist visa with a one way ticket, but I've heard of people being turned away as well - i.e., it depends on the particular immigration officer you encounter when you get there. The last thing you want is to be stuck in the airport with no way of getting into Japan and no ticket back home.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the best option would be. I would at least call the consulate again, explain your entire situation, and make absolutely sure if you can or can't get it sorted out while you're in Japan. I do believe you can switch your visa in Japan from a tourist visa to a student visa IF you have the COE in hand. I wouldn't mail it to the SF Consulate after landing in Japan - just keep the COE in Japan and apply for your visa there. But the whole one-way ticket dilemma still remains...

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#15 (permalink))
Old
sakurasake41 (Offline)
New to JF

08-28-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
I don't think you can really 'pressure' the immigration office - they're a government agency, they work as fast as they feel like.

A one way ticket with a tourist visa is not a good idea. I've heard of people getting into Japan on a tourist visa with a one way ticket, but I've heard of people being turned away as well - i.e., it depends on the particular immigration officer you encounter when you get there. The last thing you want is to be stuck in the airport with no way of getting into Japan and no ticket back home.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the best option would be. I would at least call the consulate again, explain your entire situation, and make absolutely sure if you can or can't get it sorted out while you're in Japan. I do believe you can switch your visa in Japan from a tourist visa to a student visa IF you have the COE in hand. I wouldn't mail it to the SF Consulate after landing in Japan - just keep the COE in Japan and apply for your visa there. But the whole one-way ticket dilemma still remains...
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about too... do you think it would help to call the airport and explain my situation to them, and see what they think? I know at minimum I'll be there for 90 days which wouldn't be a problem, but at the same time if I stay there for longer, then it'll be a hassle. I guess the only thing I can do for sure is contact the school (again...) and see what they think.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-28-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about too... do you think it would help to call the airport and explain my situation to them, and see what they think? I know at minimum I'll be there for 90 days which wouldn't be a problem, but at the same time if I stay there for longer, then it'll be a hassle. I guess the only thing I can do for sure is contact the school (again...) and see what they think.
Calling the airport will be of no use. I would call the school on Monday and say "It is past the end of August, and I still don't have my COE. What do you recommend?"

You could also buy an open ended ticket for return.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
sakurasake41 (Offline)
New to JF

08-28-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Calling the airport will be of no use. I would call the school on Monday and say "It is past the end of August, and I still don't have my COE. What do you recommend?"

You could also buy an open ended ticket for return.
I see--I emailed them a moment ago with the same question, so if I don't get a helpful response, I'll definitely call on Monday.

Open-ended ticket? I've never heard of that (not that I'm a big traveler)... is there a way to make the ticket I already have like that?
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-28-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I see--I emailed them a moment ago with the same question, so if I don't get a helpful response, I'll definitely call on Monday.

Open-ended ticket? I've never heard of that (not that I'm a big traveler)... is there a way to make the ticket I already have like that?
You would have to ask whoever you bought the ticket from.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
sakurasake41 (Offline)
New to JF

08-31-2009, 02:48 PM

Hi everyone, good news!! Nihon daigaku just emailed me saying they've received the certificate, and they're sending it by TNT courier (I don't know what that means, but hopefully it's fast!!). So I'm pretty sure i'll be alright. But thank you all for your help! It was very much appreciated!