JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Good schools in Japan? - 09-19-2009, 10:49 PM

I would want to move/live in Japan sometime during the next year.

Hopefully money won't be a problem. I have a degree in Economics from a pretty well known school, however, I really have no desire to purse an economics career.

I would be living in Tokyo, and I want to look for good schools in the area (language schools) where there are good teachers, and good students in which you can learn Japanese.

Of course, I know that learning Japanese I would have to talk to Japanese people but I need some sort of visa so that I can stay for more than just 3 months.

I know some of you had gone to these language schools, can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

09-20-2009, 12:37 AM

Student Visa

Cheers - Oz
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
09-20-2009, 12:40 PM

I went here Kudan Institute of Language & Culture, study Japanese in Japan, Japanese school in Tokyo, Tokyo, Japanese language school, Japanese, nihongo school,nihongo, kanji, hiragana, katakana, kudanshita, jimbo-cho, study Japanese in Tokyo and i was really happy with the teachers, the other students and the homestay. I booked here Geos Kudan Institute of Japanese Language & Cultur Tokyo Discount Booking. Japanese Language School in Japan (i dont mean to advertise, i dont get anything if you book there!) because it seemed reasonable priced.
I did 5 weeks in the beginners class. I could already write Hiragana and Katakana so i choose the Conversation course wich worked really good for me. I can only recommend to learn a bit before you go, it can be quite fast sometimes.
I did the homestay and even so i was far outside i can only recommend it!
Have fun

Edit: oh yeah, if you are from Canada, UK, Germany, France, Australia, New zealand, Denmark or South Korea you can also get a working holiday Visa for 1 year.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-20-2009, 06:18 PM

I know a decent amount of Japanese already

I can read a manga in Japanese and understand 80-90% of it. I can watch a Japanese movie without subs and probably understand around 30-40%.

So in that case, I think I need something a little more advanced to really push me.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
09-21-2009, 02:46 AM

Well, this school has higher levels as well. Most of the higher level where either Korean or Taiwanese but there where a few Europeans as well. When you arrive there, you will do a test and they will put you in the appropriate level. If you can understand most of a manga i guess you can read Kanji? Than i´d go for a conversation course!

Ive just seen that there is the intesive course for advanced. They have specific starting dates but you can also join in the middle (except for beginners).

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#6 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-21-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realism View Post
I know a decent amount of Japanese already

I can read a manga in Japanese and understand 80-90% of it. I can watch a Japanese movie without subs and probably understand around 30-40%.

So in that case, I think I need something a little more advanced to really push me.
I think you should start from the basics and fill in the holes.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。