(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-22-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
The word "gun" is a broad term.

I understand that centerfire rifles with a semi automatic action are illegal in Japan. Maybe someone can confirm that...

(Sorry MMM, maybe I should start a new thread.)

I hope Sangetsu or anyone can help us out here. In general "guns" are illegal in Japan. As far as I know hunting rifles and shotguns are allowed under strict guidelines for hunting purposes in certain places, but nowhere near major metropolises. I worked for The Hokkaido Shimbun and was told it was easier to own a gun in Hokkaido than in other parts of Japan, but still was strictly regulated. Unless I am mistaken, pistols and automatic weapons are completely illegal (except by military and law enforcement).
(#12 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-22-2009, 07:35 AM

Haha, I just re-read the first post and then t his last post. Boy oh boy did this thread get derailed XD

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#13 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
09-22-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I hope Sangetsu or anyone can help us out here. In general "guns" are illegal in Japan. As far as I know hunting rifles and shotguns are allowed under strict guidelines for hunting purposes in certain places, but nowhere near major metropolises. I worked for The Hokkaido Shimbun and was told it was easier to own a gun in Hokkaido than in other parts of Japan, but still was strictly regulated. Unless I am mistaken, pistols and automatic weapons are completely illegal (except by military and law enforcement).
IMO, that's the way it should be. No regular civilian should need to own automatic weapons and crap. I don't see why people feel this need to own guns period, but if they are going to own something, automatic assault weapons shouldn't be it. Wish the US could do something like that.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-22-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
IMO, that's the way it should be. No regular civilian should need to own automatic weapons and crap. I don't see why people feel this need to own guns period, but if they are going to own something, automatic assault weapons shouldn't be it. Wish the US could do something like that.
Automatic weapons are already illegal in the US and have been for a very long time. Fully automatic means that you can hold down the trigger and it keeps firing.

Semi-automatic weapons are not illegal in the US. That means each time you pull the trigger, 1 bullet is fired. Semi-auto was an advancement over the older rifles that required you to manually chamber each round before it could be fired.

Assault rifles in the military usually have 3 settings available: full auto, burst fire (3 rounds are fired with each pull of the trigger), and semi-auto (just 1 bullet). When they are sold to the public, the mechanisms that allow anything besides semi-auto fire are removed.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#15 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-22-2009, 05:43 PM

Here's a write up from the rec.guns newsgroup :
rec.guns FAQ: II.B.3.a. How to Own Guns in Japan

I guess the laws aren't too bad... as long as you've got a lot of patience and are willing to stick with long guns. However, I can see how many Japanese would be enticed to join a range for the opportunity to fire some small arms while overseas.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
09-22-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Here's a write up from the rec.guns newsgroup :
rec.guns FAQ: II.B.3.a. How to Own Guns in Japan

I guess the laws aren't too bad... as long as you've got a lot of patience and are willing to stick with long guns. However, I can see how many Japanese would be enticed to join a range for the opportunity to fire some small arms while overseas.
Faced with the option of that much regulation I think more Americans would agree to the registration that few states require. How I would like to see some of my former NRA instructors squirm under these limitations!

Not anti-gun, just the ones I have owned were all bolt or lever action and would eventually be legal if I resumed competition shooting. They have such distinctive and easily heard sounds when being cocked. Scared off a burlgar one night that way, before he ever saw the barrel of the old M1.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-22-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
Not anti-gun, just the ones I have owned were all bolt or lever action and would eventually be legal if I resumed competition shooting. They have such distinctive and easily heard sounds when being cocked. Scared off a burlgar one night that way, before he ever saw the barrel of the old M1.
Yup. Forget the home alarm system, the cocking of a shotgun is far more alarming.

Unfortunately, Canada (like Japan) will not allow you to defend yourself with a firearm. That's ok for Japan but I used to live in an area in Canada which was being hit with home invasions. You can be sure that I slept a lot easier with a 12 gauge under my bed.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-26-2009, 03:31 PM

Thanks for this thread and the link posted by Spicytuna.

I have used many firearms from light to heavy caliber pistols and rifles. It is something I really enjoy.

I had to leave about $2000 worth of air gun equipment back in the UK and after reading this thread I am seriously thinking about going through the motions to get my rifle over here.

I could earn some bucks just on pest control, let alone air gun tuition.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-27-2009, 02:19 AM

The Yakuza has plenty of guns supplied by China. Don't think you are too safe in Japan, be careful.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#20 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-27-2009, 02:46 AM

damn, pest control using guns,.... prefect job or what?!

i hate roaches and have on occasion used airguns when i run out of rolled up newspapers.