JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Zanxza (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Zanxza
Going to Japan - 10-17-2009, 09:03 AM

Am in grade 9 Studying my IGCSE in Bahrain am planning to go to japan after I finish my IGCSE in grade 10(So i'll be in japan in grade 11),I heard kanji is around 60000+ characters which is going to give me a very hard time to study it all in 1 and a half years,Am currently doing Japanese grammar and some vocabulary.Am going to start taking up courses around jan or feb.About the money am working online and In a few months I might be making around $300+ an hour.Japan is my dream,Especially highschool and college.So..

-Do I need to learn all the kanji before going to japan?
-How much Do I need for living in Tokyo and not pocket money for around 2 years(I will be taking an apartment)
-How can I get to japan and study there,Which exchange program?I live in Bahrain.
-Is Japanese people or schools nice to foreigners?
-How hard is Japanese schools going to be?
-If I can work hard for it,Should I follow my dream?I won't be having much free time for the next 1 and a half years.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
chompalomp2 (Offline)
JF Regular

10-17-2009, 09:48 AM

I think you should just wait till you get to yr 11 or whatever and see where that takes you.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nemhy (Offline)
Dungeon Crawler

Send a message via AIM to Nemhy Send a message via MSN to Nemhy
10-17-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanxza View Post
Am in grade 9 Studying my IGCSE in Bahrain am planning to go to japan after I finish my IGCSE in grade 10(So i'll be in japan in grade 11),I heard kanji is around 60000+ characters which is going to give me a very hard time to study it all in 1 and a half years,Am currently doing Japanese grammar and some vocabulary.Am going to start taking up courses around jan or feb.About the money am working online and In a few months I might be making around $300+ an hour.Japan is my dream,Especially highschool and college.So..

-How much Do I need for living in Tokyo and not pocket money for around 2 years(I will be taking an apartment)
-How can I get to japan and study there,Which exchange program?I live in Bahrain.
-If I can work hard for it,Should I follow my dream?I won't be having much free time for the next 1 and a half years.
1. I don't think even most natives know EVERY single Kanji. but don't quote me on that. you will probably need to know a decent amount.

2. Seeing as how you will not legally be allowed to work, A LOT of money. I don't even know if you will be able to have your apartment. i Don't know how Hs exchanges work

3.unless your HS does exchanges there is no way to do it until College and that can be a large sum of moneh.

4. I guess it depends on the school? bullying and segregation are in every school I think.

5. Japanese school is hardcore serious business, be prepared to study HARD and your brain for a beating.

6. your dream sounds kinda unrealistic.... I think you should graduate in your home country, get a bachelor degree so you can be qualified for working Visa first.

Hope this helped

PSN: Nemhy
(#4 (permalink))
Old
wasabijuice (Offline)
JF Regular

10-17-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
About the money am working online and In a few months I might be making around $300+ an hour..
.....REALLY!!!!!!! that is amazing money.... and you are in grade 9?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Zanxza (Offline)
New to JF

10-17-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabijuice View Post
.....REALLY!!!!!!! that is amazing money.... and you are in grade 9?
Yeah,I already have talked to one of the biggest internet marketers in Australia.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Zanxza (Offline)
New to JF

10-17-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemhy View Post
1. I don't think even most natives know EVERY single Kanji. but don't quote me on that. you will probably need to know a decent amount.

2. Seeing as how you will not legally be allowed to work, A LOT of money. I don't even know if you will be able to have your apartment. i Don't know how Hs exchanges work

3.unless your HS does exchanges there is no way to do it until College and that can be a large sum of moneh.

4. I guess it depends on the school? bullying and segregation are in every school I think.

5. Japanese school is hardcore serious business, be prepared to study HARD and your brain for a beating.

6. your dream sounds kinda unrealistic.... I think you should graduate in your home country, get a bachelor degree so you can be qualified for working Visa first.

Hope this helped
I don't think the money is an issue I can handle that,I can study Japanese I heard you need 3000-6000 kanji.Exchange,I could talk to the embassy about it. Thanks though!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-17-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:

Most people don't know any kanji. But learning how to speak a bit will be very helpful.

A minor cannot rent an apartment on their own. Talk to your sponsor school, and they should have a homestay, dormitory, or other living arrangements for exchange students.

That's kind of your job to figure out. Start searching.

Depends on the individual, but I never had a problem. Are people nice to foreigners in Bahrain?

Japanese immersion will be near impossible if you know no Japanese. Good to start now.

I would probably try and get to Japan after high school, maybe a college exchange or as a job. It is not realistic to think you will be able to graduate from a Japanese high school.