JF Old Timer

10-28-2009, 09:27 PM

Can someone say "One Wolrd Government"?
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-28-2009, 10:39 PM

Actually, I found my ARC to be kind of useful. Rules and regulations aside, it was the ONLY form of ID I had that made any sense to some Japanese people; I could waggle my UK provisional license (AKA my usual ID) at them till I was blue in the face, and it would just cause mass confusion because a) I don't think they'd ever seen one before and b) they couldn't tell which number on the card was what. It also meant I didn't have to carry my passport around with me, which I hate doing in case I lose it. At least the card just slots into the back of my wallet. Even then, though, I think I only had to use it once or twice. Most of the time it just languished in my wallet until I handed it back to customs.

I also know of one guy who must have been darn glad he had his ARC on him. He collapsed out the blue whilst he was away from the university over a weekend and had a massive seizure. Naturally he was hospitalized, but he was in the middle of nowhere, the hospital had no idea who he was, and he was pretty much solidly unconscious. He wasn't carrying his passport or university card, however, they did find his Gaijin card which obviously he was only carrying because the law said he had to. Ok, so maybe he was stupid to wander around without any other ID, but it's easily done and the card meant that the hospital could contact the university, who could contact his family, embassy, doctors back home, whatever and send someone down there to look after him.

So it's not all doom and gloom; they do seem to serve a purpose other than to help Big Brother follow you around the country. I'm sure there is some abuse of the system, but I also think this whole "The police will pick on you and make you show your card, isn't that just the meanest!" thing to be exaggerated. I cannot think of a single person there during the whole year who was ever pulled over by the police merely to make them show their card. Pulled over because they were drunk and disorderly, for sure, but that's a whole different kettle of fish. Hell, my teacher witnessed a suicide and they didn't ask him for his card once, throughout the entirety of the investigation. I don't know, maybe I'm lucky and all my personal experiences are just at odds with the scare stories, but I do think some people are whipping it into a storm and scare-mongering when they needn't be.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

10-29-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbx33 View Post
To be honest, I dont mind the fact that you have to have one, I kind of like it. But the fact that you have to have it on you 100% of the time, is a little over the top.
I guess you aren't aware that even in America you are supposed to carry ID on you at all times. If you aren't carrying an ID card or drivers license, and are stopped by the police for any reason, then they have a right to detain you until you can prove who are are. When I was a police officer, anyone who wasn't carrying an ID card was likely up to no good, and if they couldn't explain to my satisfaction that they were really who they said they were (it's pretty easy to find out when someone is lying about their identity), then they were going to be taken to the station, get fingerprinted, photographed, and wait in a cell until their ID was verified/discovered.

As for the new cards here in Japan, my drivers license already has the chip in it. I just renewed my old ARC card (they are good for 4 years, but you have to get a renewal stamp annually), I'm not sure if and when they'll have me come in for the new card.

I don't go "smashing" ID cards and other things because I don't like the fact that they contain RFID chip, that's stupid. Not having these cards pretty much relegates you to being a second or third-class person, unable to enjoy the privileges which most other people have. You can't vote, you can't drive, you can't open a bank account, and you can't travel.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
smbx33 (Offline)
90's ジングル

10-29-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
I guess you aren't aware that even in America you are supposed to carry ID on you at all times. If you aren't carrying an ID card or drivers license, and are stopped by the police for any reason, then they have a right to detain you until you can prove who are are. When I was a police officer, anyone who wasn't carrying an ID card was likely up to no good, and if they couldn't explain to my satisfaction that they were really who they said they were (it's pretty easy to find out when someone is lying about their identity), then they were going to be taken to the station, get fingerprinted, photographed, and wait in a cell until their ID was verified/discovered.

As for the new cards here in Japan, my drivers license already has the chip in it. I just renewed my old ARC card (they are good for 4 years, but you have to get a renewal stamp annually), I'm not sure if and when they'll have me come in for the new card.

I don't go "smashing" ID cards and other things because I don't like the fact that they contain RFID chip, that's stupid. Not having these cards pretty much relegates you to being a second or third-class person, unable to enjoy the privileges which most other people have. You can't vote, you can't drive, you can't open a bank account, and you can't travel.
I guess you missed the part:

Quote:
To be honest, I dont mind the fact that you have to have one, I kind of like it. But the fact that you have to have it on you 100% of the time, is a little over the top.
1. I leave my house without a wallet sometimes and I have been pulled over by the police and not once did they take me to the police station to "Identify Myself". In the US you don't need to carry identification all the time though I can save your life if you are a foreigner.

2. Even if I had that card, In Japan, foreigners don’t have the right to vote, no matter how long you live there. And not only at national elections, but also at local elections. Now, if they want the right to vote, they must get Japanese nationality, because even a residency isn't good enough. And Everyone knows how long it takes to become a citizen

3. Since we are going to be included in the "same" file system isn't there another way to prove who we are like a Japanese native would ( because Japanese nationals are required to have them but not on them 100%) Its like a double standard...In the US we could check everyone in the system by social security, where if you are registered your pretty little face will pop up on their computers and there's no need to go a station.

4. I never Argued that this was a bad thing, I also said that I am for it. Never did I bash/smash it for being implemented as Japanese ID cards.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-29-2009, 07:33 AM

Foreigners cannot vote in US elections, either. I have a feeling that is probably a world-wide standard.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
smbx33 (Offline)
90's ジングル

10-29-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Foreigners cannot vote in US elections, either. I have a feeling that is probably a world-wide standard.
yea but its a hell of alot easier to become a citizen...

As proving that you are dedicated enough to become a citizen in Japan can take more 10 years in some cases lol

I read somewhere that permanent residents will have a vote in local government elections, or that they are at least thinking about it.

Last edited by smbx33 : 10-29-2009 at 08:04 AM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
packetpirate (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to packetpirate Send a message via MSN to packetpirate Send a message via Skype™ to packetpirate
10-29-2009, 10:17 AM

Worried about someone reading it? Line your wallet with tin foil...

俺はサゲだ!
これが読みません。
(#18 (permalink))
Old
smbx33 (Offline)
90's ジングル

10-29-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetpirate View Post
Worried about someone reading it? Line your wallet with tin foil...
I'm pretty sure if you look foreign but in reality ur a national, and they cant scan you will be pulled over
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-29-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if you look foreign but in reality ur a national, and they cant scan you will be pulled over
How did you come to this conclusion.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
10-29-2009, 07:07 PM

For those of you who think you do not have to carry a government issued ID in the U.S., times are changing. Even if you do not want to travel on any form of public transportation some states require that you carry an ID on your person at all times. Importantly, everyone born after Dec. 01, 1964 will be required to carry a federally compliant, government (state or terretorially issued) ID after December 01, 2014. So you might as well start thinking differently about your "personal ID tag". Those of us born before that date get an extra three years. If you want more details, its in Title II of the Real ID Act.

I like the idea, but not the possibility that an unauthorized person could read the chip. My passport and credit cards are now stored in wallets specifically designed to shield the contents from any electronic surveillance. You have to ask to read the chips in mine, or get it quick while I am actually using them.

If you search, there are commercial manufacturers who make very nice shielded wallet and document envelopes, that once were only used by certain specialized agencies. In fact I gave a nice leather passport wallet of to my brother, who thought it a very odd birthday present, till he read the spec sheet for it.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.

Last edited by TalnSG : 10-29-2009 at 07:09 PM.