JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
DaisukeKigurou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Social security disability in Japan - 11-03-2009, 07:17 AM

My parents are planning on putting me on social security disability. I was wondering what would happen if I moved to Japan and, if they have this sort of thing in Japan? And if they do, how does it work for a foreigner moving to Japan that is already on social security disability?

And what's the difference in benefits for people who're on social security disability in the US then in Japan?

Last edited by DaisukeKigurou : 11-03-2009 at 07:20 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-03-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisukeKigurou View Post
My parents are planning on putting me on social security disability. I was wondering what would happen if I moved to Japan and, if they have this sort of thing in Japan? And if they do, how does it work for a foreigner moving to Japan that is already on social security disability?

And what's the difference in benefits for people who're on social security disability in the US then in Japan?
What would you do in Japan? I mean, how would you make a living? If you can afford to retire in Japan that is one thing, but Japan certainly has no interest in simply taking in foreign disabled residents simply to care for them. If you are married to a Japanese person and go through all the residential requirements (several years) that might be one option.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-03-2009, 11:51 AM

Under the assumption that you came to Japan legally, for example as a dependent to your parents or a spouse - you would be eligible for a disability allowance if you are eligible for a disability card. However, unless you are at the top tiers of disability, you will not get anywhere near the amount you would need to simply make a living.
It really depends upon the disability. Chances are, you would be eligible for very little as you are able to get online and type that up - in other words, you could work somewhere doing something.

For the common disabilities - Asperger`s receives approximately $10/month. Mild mental retardation about $10/month with transportation discounts. Minor internal "defects" (heart conditions that do not prevent employment, etc) receive no allowance but priority medical treatment, subsidized equipment, and transportation cost wavers. Physical disabilities receive subsidized equipment and an allowance dependent upon how difficult it is to be employed.

There is a disability support center in pretty much every decent sized town offering job placement up until the point where you require total hospitalization. There is very little "living on disability payments" in Japan. Without knowing what your disability is, I can`t really give you more details... My son carries a disability card, so I have all the information on hand though. If you would like to keep it private, you`re totally welcome to pm me about it.

Thing is, if you move to Japan you`ll have to be eligible for a visa - and if you are unable to work the chances of being eligible are very very low.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-04-2009, 12:09 AM

Foreigners in Japan get no disability even if working for a Japanese company and getting injured on the job (like me).
If you get medical treatment in the US, stay there. The treatment in Japan isn't as good (pain relief suppositories? ).

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!