LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Wagamama (Offline)
JF Regular

11-09-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I would personally say that the homestay route is probably the best in the long run - even with the cons. Of course it`s only my personal opinion.

In the 10 years I`ve lived here, I`ve met and seen a lot of people who have gone both routes... And even those who thought that their homestay experience in itself sucked were much much better at Japanese and knew much much more about Japanese culture in general.
With solo travel, there really are few opportunities to meet and talk to people. People who approach you are likely to do so because they want to speak English, not because they want to teach you something. Chances are, you`ll spend 95% of the time either alone or with other English speakers.
If you just want to travel around Japan, see the sights, and have a vacation that may not be an issue. But if you want to come out of it with some language and culture, don`t get your hopes up. I have yet to see anyone learn much more than travel and utility phrases when there is no push such as a homestay, Japanese language workplace, or school.

In my experience, most of those offering homestays aren`t in it for the money, but more for the chance of getting a live-in English teacher. Especially when there are kids involved. The money goes almost entirely to the company arranging the homestay - the family usually only gets the most basic of basics. For a 1 month homestay that costs $3000 for the person staying, the family often only gets $500 or so plus the joy of getting free English lessons. I haven`t really heard much about being in it for the money. That isn`t to say there AREN`T people who are, but I wouldn`t be that worried about it.

It really comes down to what you want out of your time in Japan. Freedom to travel around the country, go out at all hours, etc, and solo is probably best.
Learn some Japanese, learn the culture, make friends, see things off the beaten tourist track? Homestay would probably be the best. It`s really up to what you want to get out of the trip.
Wonderful advice thanks=)
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

11-09-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagamama View Post
haha it made sense to me,my bad...Anyways long story short,to homestay or to stay alone when traveling alone in Japan
Homestay sounds great, not that I've ever done it.

The closest I came was often staying with a Japanese friend at his parents house in Nara as the trains back to Kyoto cancelled out early.

Definitely a great experience for me and his family were tops.

I guess it all depends on you and the actual family that you stay with.

If they have a cute daughter, it may be fun

Cheers - Oz