JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Wagamama (Offline)
JF Regular

Confused - 11-07-2009, 07:45 AM

I was just wondering if i were to solo travel to Japan,Would a homestay or 'live-alone' option would be better?i've come across websites like http://homestayinjapan.com/index.html,sure theres plentiful of hosting families but the very fact they'd signed up for this websites gives me the impression they are in it for the dough rather than the experience.Don't misunderstand me,i know fully the cost and inconvenience that entails if host families were to host,and i personally would be more than happy to compensate them with money.But i am not very sure that my desire to get engaged to the community or people when i leave for japan through a homestay family would be rewarding one.On other side of the same coin the 'live-alone' option is also very attractive,there i would have my freedom,no chances of living awkwardly with host families you just don't mix well with etc,On the other hand i cant remember who but someone mentioned on the other thread that solo-traveling could really hit you for example when your done with traveling around and your back in your hotel room alone,with no one to have a conversion with.This made sense to me and boy that will suck lol.So there we go i really cant seem to make a decision here,hopefully someone can point me to the right direction.

P.S:i haven't found a host family yet nor have i had the experience of living with one..i merely speculating about this.

Cheers,Wagamama
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

11-07-2009, 11:29 AM

Can you break your threaded post up into actual paragraphs that actually make some sense!

Cheers - Oz
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Wagamama (Offline)
JF Regular

11-07-2009, 12:35 PM

haha it made sense to me,my bad...Anyways long story short,to homestay or to stay alone when traveling alone in Japan
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-07-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagamama View Post
haha it made sense to me,my bad...Anyways long story short,to homestay or to stay alone when traveling alone in Japan
That is such a personal decision. No one can make it for you.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Allene7 (Offline)
The Nymphic Ninja

11-07-2009, 08:53 PM

Perhaps the original poster would find it helpful if anyone could list some pros and cons to both.... Unfortunately I'm not familiar with either so I can't help but hopefully someone else will be able to.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Wagamama (Offline)
JF Regular

11-08-2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allene7 View Post
Perhaps the original poster would find it helpful if anyone could list some pros and cons to both.... Unfortunately I'm not familiar with either so I can't help but hopefully someone else will be able to.
Personally,the pros and cons for homestay-ing
Pros
-You get engaged in Japanese community(immersion in culture etc)
-Get lucky enough,you will get a great hosting family which will definitely make your 'Japan" experience worthwhile.

Cons
-While on other hand if you are unlucky,you prolly wont be enjoying yourself through out your stay.
-Freedom(no curfew etc)

That basically what i can think of my head right now,hope this are relevant.

Cheers,Wagamama
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Lolx5 (Offline)
JF Regular

11-08-2009, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagamama View Post
Personally,the pros and cons for homestay-ing
Pros
-You get engaged in Japanese community(immersion in culture etc)
-Get lucky enough,you will get a great hosting family which will definitely make your 'Japan" experience worthwhile.

Cons
-While on other hand if you are unlucky,you prolly wont be enjoying yourself through out your stay.
-Freedom(no curfew etc)

That basically what i can think of my head right now,hope this are relevant.

Cheers,Wagamama
How is freedom a con?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Wagamama (Offline)
JF Regular

11-08-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolx5 View Post
How is freedom a con?
Whoops what i meant was that i've heard of curfews being placed on the guests from hosting families.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-08-2009, 02:39 PM

I would personally say that the homestay route is probably the best in the long run - even with the cons. Of course it`s only my personal opinion.

In the 10 years I`ve lived here, I`ve met and seen a lot of people who have gone both routes... And even those who thought that their homestay experience in itself sucked were much much better at Japanese and knew much much more about Japanese culture in general.
With solo travel, there really are few opportunities to meet and talk to people. People who approach you are likely to do so because they want to speak English, not because they want to teach you something. Chances are, you`ll spend 95% of the time either alone or with other English speakers.
If you just want to travel around Japan, see the sights, and have a vacation that may not be an issue. But if you want to come out of it with some language and culture, don`t get your hopes up. I have yet to see anyone learn much more than travel and utility phrases when there is no push such as a homestay, Japanese language workplace, or school.

In my experience, most of those offering homestays aren`t in it for the money, but more for the chance of getting a live-in English teacher. Especially when there are kids involved. The money goes almost entirely to the company arranging the homestay - the family usually only gets the most basic of basics. For a 1 month homestay that costs $3000 for the person staying, the family often only gets $500 or so plus the joy of getting free English lessons. I haven`t really heard much about being in it for the money. That isn`t to say there AREN`T people who are, but I wouldn`t be that worried about it.

It really comes down to what you want out of your time in Japan. Freedom to travel around the country, go out at all hours, etc, and solo is probably best.
Learn some Japanese, learn the culture, make friends, see things off the beaten tourist track? Homestay would probably be the best. It`s really up to what you want to get out of the trip.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-08-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Chances are, you`ll spend 95% of the time either alone or with other English speakers.
If you just want to travel around Japan, see the sights, and have a vacation that may not be an issue. But if you want to come out of it with some language and culture, don`t get your hopes up. I have yet to see anyone learn much more than travel and utility phrases when there is no push such as a homestay, Japanese language workplace, or school.
I would agree with this it certainly describes my time in Tokyo. I have next to no japanese lang skills but quickly learned the basics if not the context of what was being said

It is a strange feeling being alone in Tokyo even though I hooked up with a friend of friend and his wife for a few of those days. Taking the train to Yokosuka alone was an adventure that still makes me snicker thinking about it.