LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
atheistwithfaith (Offline)
JF Regular

09-21-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
I think it's worth noting, though, that it works both ways. Some Japanese have stereotypes of other countries based on the media they see from that country. I was asked many times if I owned a gun, if I had ever seen anyone shot in real life (or shot anyone myself), etc. Some Japanese who have never been outside Japan have rather unrealistic views of other countries, just as some in those countries have about Japan. I hope that as world-wide interpersonal communications advance, such as the internet, there will be greater understanding of real life in all other countries.
Haha that reminds me of when I was in Honolulu and the things I saw advertised again and again to Japanese tourists (in Japanese) was getting to shoot loads of guns. --I guess thats what they think America is all about. Pretty funny though.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-21-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheistwithfaith View Post
Haha that reminds me of when I was in Honolulu and the things I saw advertised again and again to Japanese tourists (in Japanese) was getting to shoot loads of guns. --I guess thats what they think America is all about. Pretty funny though.
No, it's because guns are illegal in Japan, so really the only chance gun enthusiasts in Japan can shoot a live weapon is in a foreign country like Guam or, in this case, Hawaii.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-22-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
No, it's because guns are illegal in Japan, so really the only chance gun enthusiasts in Japan can shoot a live weapon is in a foreign country like Guam or, in this case, Hawaii.
Very true!

I happen to be a firearms enthusiast who's invested a ton of money into rifles, scopes, etc. and it's sad knowing that I wouldn't be able to use my centerfire semi automatic rifle in Japan.

On the other hand, many of my Japanese friends claim that their highlight in Canada was being able to play with my firearms. I'd see them writhe in pain from the recoil of a .300 winchester and they'd tell me it was the best thing that they've ever experienced. Hahaha!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-22-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Very true!

I happen to be a firearms enthusiast who's invested a ton of money into rifles, scopes, etc. and it's sad knowing that I wouldn't be able to use my centerfire semi automatic rifle in Japan.

On the other hand, many of my Japanese friends claim that their highlight in Canada was being able to play with my firearms. I'd see them writhe in pain from the recoil of a .300 winchester and they'd tell me it was the best thing that they've ever experienced. Hahaha!
I have heard things are a little looser in Hokkaido (basically the wild west of Japan, in terms of attitudes about freedoms). But basically, you are right, you would not be shooting guns in Japan.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-22-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
samurai007, given that rural Japan is where foreigner-exposure is the lowest and inherent racism the highest, would you say the "rural friendliness" applies to Japan for foreigners or just fellow Japanese? (Then again those variety show Tokyo guys that go out there and bother people with camera crews and annoying games that get in their way probably don't give fellow Nihonjin a good name either!)
Yes, I meant rural Japan too. While their exposure to foreigners is less than urban Japanese (especially those who live in Tokyo), and that may translate into misconceptions about them, I encountered very, very little actual racism (Mainly just when I was trying to find a different apartment to rent). That lack of exposure led them to be more curious about a foreigner in their midst (what is he doing in our little town?), and sometimes concern for my well-being or wanting to help me out in some way. In the big cities, I only rarely had Japanese people start up conversations with me in a store, on the train, etc. (I suppose if I went to bars it may have happened more, but I don't drink alcohol). But in more rural areas, it happened a lot.

For example, a few weeks after arriving in Japan, I decided to take a bike ride to the next town over to the east on a beautiful Saturday morning. When I got there, I saw some kind of big event in the park there, with music and lots of people. I rode over to investigate, and when the people saw me, they were very excited! Turns out it was the town's Sports Day. They literally pulled me off my bike, gave me a free lunch, and entered me in 3 events before I even knew what was going on! They didn't know me at all and had no idea who I was, it was my 1st time in the town, but they were so happy that a foreigner came to their Sports Day, they treated me like a guest of honor!

Now, that's a more extreme example, but I can't imagine that kind of elation at a foreign stranger who wandered into a Tokyo Sports Day celebration. (Maybe I'm wrong, if you have such a story taking place in a big city, please share it!) But things like that just tended to happen to me in small towns where they seldom saw a foreigner, while in the big city, I'd go about my day, shopping, eating, taking trains, and people wouldn't usually even talk to me except the requisite "Irashaimase!" and such. They weren't mean or unfriendly at all, but it was just more guarded and businesslike. In the countryside, though, it was like you are almost a minor celebrity of some sort, just because you are a foreigner.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#6 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-22-2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
GTJ,

I noticed that in several of your posts you're spelling "wrong" "rong" ... which is, coincidentally, wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong :-D
Actually I'm spelling it that way satirically. I dunno why. Maybe I was in a weird mood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai007
I'd go about my day, shopping, eating, taking trains, and people wouldn't usually even talk to me except the requisite "Irashaimase!" and such. They weren't mean or unfriendly at all, but it was just more guarded and businesslike.
Yeah, I kinda wish people would just talk to me more In America we're so darn used to foreigners that it's impossible for me to put myself in their shoes, which makes this all a lot harder for me to understand.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。

Last edited by GTJ : 09-22-2009 at 02:19 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-22-2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
This is incorrect. Guns can be possessed in Japan if you have a license. Approximately 200,000 people in Japan are licensed gun owners. I was surprised to see a gun shop just the other day. Guns in Japan are for hunting and sporting purposes, and the former prime minister was an avid shooter (he was a member of Japan's Olympic shooting team).
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-22-2009, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
This is incorrect. Guns can be possessed in Japan if you have a license. Approximately 200,000 people in Japan are licensed gun owners. I was surprised to see a gun shop just the other day. Guns in Japan are for hunting and sporting purposes, and the former prime minister was an avid shooter (he was a member of Japan's Olympic shooting team).
However there are more gun enthusiasts in Japan than gun owners, and for most Japanese gun ownership will remain a fantasy. For a lot of them gun ownership for hunting or target shooting isn't really the interest, but the gun (pistol) culture. Many Japanese gun enthusiasts only ever get to fire pistols at firing ranges outside of Japan. Pubic firing ranges in the US are often visited by Japanese and other nationals from countries where gun ownership is strictly restricted and attitudes about gun ownership are generally negative.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-22-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
The word "gun" is a broad term.

I understand that centerfire rifles with a semi automatic action are illegal in Japan. Maybe someone can confirm that...

(Sorry MMM, maybe I should start a new thread.)

(#10 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-22-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
Actually I'm spelling it that way satirically. I dunno why. Maybe I was in a weird mood

Yeah, I kinda wish people would just talk to me more In America we're so darn used to foreigners that it's impossible for me to put myself in their shoes, which makes this all a lot harder for me to understand.
Spend more time in the countryside. I bet people will be more open to talking with you, and may even initiate it!

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan