JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Burundo (Offline)
JF Regular

The conditions of ALT's? - 06-08-2010, 02:56 AM

if you've read my previous posts, I'm passionately wanting to go to Japan someday, and it appears that the job that is most popular for foreigners is as an English teacher or an ALT.

Then, I saw news about it on youtube from 2009 just half an hour ago and....well, let's just say it was very depressing.

My question to anyone who is experienced in the ALT field: is the ALT position worth it anymore? I want to believe it is because I love Japan (and I've got a few more years before I actually get my BA still). I'll gladly take the risk, but I want to know if the ALT jobs are better now or does it look like they'll get better in the future?

I SPELLED MY USERNAME WRONG!!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-08-2010, 03:02 AM

The question you should really be asking is if the potential you have in whatever career you're passionate about is worth throwing out the window to be a monkey in a suit at an eikaiwa, making crappy pay and putting up with appauling business injustices, just for the sake of living in a country you idolize.
That's a lot to sink in, but at least from what I understand, ALTs have it somewhat better, albeit being stuck in bum@^$& nowhere.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-08-2010, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burundo View Post
if you've read my previous posts, I'm passionately wanting to go to Japan someday, and it appears that the job that is most popular for foreigners is as an English teacher or an ALT.

Then, I saw news about it on youtube from 2009 just half an hour ago and....well, let's just say it was very depressing.

My question to anyone who is experienced in the ALT field: is the ALT position worth it anymore? I want to believe it is because I love Japan (and I've got a few more years before I actually get my BA still). I'll gladly take the risk, but I want to know if the ALT jobs are better now or does it look like they'll get better in the future?
What sort of news did you hear. As long as there are fewer students and schools are shutting down, there will be less opportunities. However, I enjoyed my three years as an ALT. The job is what you make of it.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-08-2010, 03:31 AM

What kind of video did you watch?

Either way, the only thing I can suggest to you is to get a job which you enjoy doing. Don't become an ALT or Eikaiwa teacher because it's the easiest way for a foreigner to stay in Japan.

You mentioned you were studying computer programming. If you enjoy doing that, why not join a company like Microsoft or IBM which has a huge presence in Japan? Your starting wages will probably be double of an ALT and you can always request a sabbatical and visit Japan for 90 days before you request a job transfer.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Burundo (Offline)
JF Regular

06-08-2010, 03:41 AM

I'm not sure if I can post the link or not, but like I said it's on youtube and it's title is "alt in japan" and it's in two parts.

spicytuna: Thank you for that. Actually, I think I may do that. Going to Japan was the main reason for me wanting to try out for the ALT job, however, even though English is still one of my favorite courses (but mostly because I get to write and I love to write), but I'm also pretty good with computers (mostly programming and designing). All I need to know though are the requirements for that besides being fluent in Japanese lol!

Thank you everyone for your responses.

EDITED:

WingsToDiscovery, your words also helped me me, too! Thank you!

I SPELLED MY USERNAME WRONG!!!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

06-08-2010, 03:55 AM

If that helped, then that's good. I know I seem to come off as brash, but there really is a line between fantasy and reality that people who are interested in Japan tend to blur to fit their liking. I've met several people with high profile degrees who have tossed those 4+ years of schooling away to partake in ESl type work overseas. Not that there is anything wrong with teaching a foreign language, but it would definitely help if you're actually a teacher and/or care about teaching. To use something like that as a vessel for a means to and end (in this case just getting to a foreign country) doesn't sit well with me.

My father still tells me (even though I have a job/attend university) "Find what you love to do, and learn how to make money doing it." If your interest is in computers, and you want to go to Japan, something as simple as what spicytuna proposed as your plan of action for making your dream come true. If your heart is set on teaching English, then more power to you. There needs to be more people like you who actually care to do the job they signed up for.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-08-2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burundo View Post
Actually, I think I may do that. Going to Japan was the main reason for me wanting to try out for the ALT job, however, even though English is still one of my favorite courses (but mostly because I get to write and I love to write), but I'm also pretty good with computers (mostly programming and designing). All I need to know though are the requirements for that besides being fluent in Japanese lol!
How about combining your two passions and getting into technical writing (while obtaining a bachelors degree?)

Join a good solid company, publish some papers/documents/manuals, keep up your Japanese skills and I'd imagine that you'd be very marketable if you decide to make the move overseas. You could always resort to teaching English if all else fails.

I remember seeing a job ad for Toyota last year which involved proofreading manuals. Being a car fanatic, it would've been a dream job but it wasn't enough to pry me from my current I/T job.

Best of luck whichever route you choose!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-08-2010, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I've met several people with high profile degrees who have tossed those 4+ years of schooling away to partake in ESl type work overseas. Not that there is anything wrong with teaching a foreign language, but it would definitely help if you're actually a teacher and/or care about teaching.
I was recently talking to a friend who was in a similar situation.

My friend graduated with a degree in Finance before moving to Japan shortly afterwards to fulfill his dream of living in Japan. He had dreams of living well in Roppongi Hills while earning the big bucks at a company like Goldman Sachs. Of course he came to realize that he wasn't the only one with that dream as he encountered dozens of other applicants who were far better qualified than him. So, he became an Eikaiwa teacher and continued doing that for several years before returning home. (His turning point occurred when several of his ex-classmates visited him in Tokyo with their families, photos of their new house, car, etc. Meanwhile, my friend was just living above the poverty line with no clear future.)

After returning to Canada, he quickly realized that 3 yrs of teaching English didn't exactly look impressive on his resume when it came to financial jobs. So, he's back at school to get an MBA while living with his parents.

Luckily, he bailed out while he was still young. I know at least a dozen others who are still caught in a trance back in Japan.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

06-08-2010, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
I was recently talking to a friend who was in a similar situation.
As much as I enjoy the many aspects that come with being interested in Japanese culture, there are somethings I'll never understand; one of which includes living in a poverished state while working for a novelty company waiting to go under (NOVA, anyone?), only to lose months of pay and get deported. But hey, those few months where you get to watch Anime early before it hits North Amrerica is totally worth it!

I've seriously considered creating a blog dedicated to why one shouldn't move to Japan.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-09-2010, 12:15 AM

I got an ALT job in Japan and found myself in a surprising situation of really enjoying it and am given a lot of freedom in my teaching. I think I've read from "the book" only about a hand full of times. I'm in charge of most of the classes I do, so I don't feel at all like a tape machine.

I had a friend though who came here looking for teaching experience and ended up being a "human tape recorder" as it's called.

It's a craps shoot. It depends on where you go a lot of the time. If you want to go and really enjoy your time in Japan, I suggest seriously learning Japanese... that is huge. The more Japanese you know, the more respect you will get and the less bullshit you will have to put up with-- and rightfully so. I think it would be a mistake to come without a lot of knowledge about the language. I can't imagine how helpless I'd feel in that situation.

MMM said "The job is what you make of it" and that is 100% accurate. The more effort you put in, the more your coworkers will respect and trust you. The more Japanese you know the more you can express (in a polite and careful way) that you might want to do things differently, which can ultimately lead to a better situation (but if not done carefully can sometimes backfire).