JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
atheistwithfaith (Offline)
JF Regular

06-09-2010, 03:45 PM

The biggest problem seems to be that the local boards of education are catching on that they can employ ALTs through dispatch companies (such as Interac, Borderlink, Aita, Westgate, RCS) at a MUCH cheaper cost than the JET programme (which in '96 was costing the Japanese government $500million, and I can't imagine it's changed much in cost). Those dispatch companies have all the problems with illegal contracts and working conditions that you mentioned, but also before you even get to Japan you run the risk of getting dropped at the last minute. The jobs that companies such as Interac advertise for are only speculative (but they don't tell you that) because these dispatch companies enter bidding wars to offer the boards of education with the cheapest deal -- and with cost cuts; service, pay, and all the things you expect from a good employer are lost. At the last minute Interac could lose out a deal with a rival dispatch company and you could get a phonecall at the 13th hour telling you that you no longer have a place (though from the stories I have heard they seem more likely to just ignore you and hope you forget).

It seems that perhaps eikaiwa's have the potential for much fairer pay and better conditions - but only if you manage to find a well run smaller company. The eikaiwa market is in rapid decline and so your position is highly unstable, especially in larger companies.

Personally, I would say your best option would be getting onto the JET programme as that has a large support network, fantastic pay, and has massive resources behind it. But even then, you have to enter it with a very open mindset - some people HATE their time on the JET programme. Could you live in a tiny village, with intermittant internet, no young people, and miles to any conveniences?

One thing to finally say would be the old TEFL adage of ESID (every situation is different). I know many people who saved up some money to start with as a bit of a buffer, went to Japan, worked in an eikaiwa and loved it. People in smaller towns as well as people working for GABA and other companies in Tokyo. There are many people who enjoyed their time with Interac and dispatch companies also. Just be aware that you have almost no job security teaching english anywhere but with JET, and you have little opportunity for career progression unless you have a teaching degree/TESOL qualification.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-10-2010, 12:27 AM

I've been teaching in Japan for 3 years now, and I've had a good time. The pay for the work I do is quite fair, considering I only work 26 hours a week. My classes are not overcrowded, the students are fun, and I get along with the other teachers and faculty quite well. I just transferred from the countryside to a new school in the metro area of Tokyo, and I find working in the city enjoyable as well.

In the countryside I rented a small house in a secluded area, and it was quite nice. The commute to work was a little long, but still easily within walking distance. Now that I'm in the city I'm back to living in a small apartment, but I'm looking at getting into something bigger soon.

Since my work schedule is rather easy, I have a lot of extra time to do other things. A few months ago I began exporting items from Japan as a way of making a little extra money. To my surprise the demand has been better than I expected, and now I'm making a lot of extra money; last month this extra money was actually more than what I earned in regular pay at my school.

There are still lots of opportunities for foreigners in Japan both inside and outside English education. In my case being a foreigner has actually helped me quite a bit, and allowed (forced) me to look at options I probably wouldn't have considered had I been a Japanese.

If you can find a job, by all means come to Japan. It may or may not be the place for you, but regardless of how you eventually feel about the place, it will be a good experience for you.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-10-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Since my work schedule is rather easy, I have a lot of extra time to do other things. A few months ago I began exporting items from Japan as a way of making a little extra money. To my surprise the demand has been better than I expected, and now I'm making a lot of extra money; last month this extra money was actually more than what I earned in regular pay at my school.
Is the exporting thing something you do under the table (such as just buying novelty items and reselling them), or do you have connections with other businesses? Are there any specific laws (such as products being illegal for individual resale) that you deal with? Just curious. If it's easy, I'd consider that as a lucrative investment while overseas.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#14 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-10-2010, 05:49 AM

I 'used' an eikaiwa to initially get a working visa for Japan. I spent only 5 weeks teaching (if you can call it that) before moving up to Hokkaido to work at a ski resort up here. 5 years later and I am now the reservations and guest services manager of one of the foreign owned property management companies living what is without doubt a lifestyle that I only ever dreamed about when I was younger. Skiing has always been my greatest passion in life.
There are certainly many more opportunities for working in Japan other than being an ALT. Numerous ski areas around the country are becoming ever more popular with foreign skiers and there are certainly quite a few jobs being created to cater to this market.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-10-2010, 06:54 AM

It seems like every other hotel has their token gaijin for weddings, too. I've always been curious about that. Does anyone on here do that for a living I wonder?
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-10-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Meanwhile, my friend was just living above the poverty line with no clear future.)

Poverty line?? Don't they pay at least 250,000 a month? That's poverty in Japan?
(#17 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-10-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realism View Post
Poverty line?? Don't they pay at least 250,000 a month? That's poverty in Japan?
250,000 yen/month may be possible... assuming your day is fully booked with classes at a huge school like AEON.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-10-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
I 'used' an eikaiwa to initially get a working visa for Japan. I spent only 5 weeks teaching (if you can call it that) before moving up to Hokkaido to work at a ski resort up here. 5 years later and I am now the reservations and guest services manager of one of the foreign owned property management companies living what is without doubt a lifestyle that I only ever dreamed about when I was younger. Skiing has always been my greatest passion in life.
There are certainly many more opportunities for working in Japan other than being an ALT. Numerous ski areas around the country are becoming ever more popular with foreign skiers and there are certainly quite a few jobs being created to cater to this market.
That's awesome!

I have some friends who work at various 山小屋 in Japan and it sounds like a wicked place to work. I'd love to become a hiking or ski guide for a resort someday!
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

06-17-2010, 01:47 PM

I'm an ALT, this is my third year. I love it. However, I went to university to be a teacher and had previous teaching experience before arriving.

I'm fairly certain this will be my last year, because I plan to return to the US Navy and finish a commissioning program. If this doesn't work out, and at this point, I think it will (had an interview with an Admiral a week ago, and it went well), I will pursue a Japanese teaching license and stay put.

I love teaching, but as I have said elsewhere, I still think I'd rather drive ships. Yar har, yar har a pirate(hunter)'s life for me, etc.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-19-2010, 02:08 AM

So what I want to ask you guys is this....

So you work at ALT and get paid exactly how much??

22-25,000/ month right?

How much does a plane ticket from Tokyo to China usually cost?

Because I have family members in China and I would love to visit them from time to time.

Is 22-25,000/ month enough to buy a plane ticket and still have enough left to do other things??