JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
YaksokuDa (Offline)
Banned

04-13-2007, 04:52 PM

well, shop/bar/club ect owners can do what they want, its their place so they can put up 'no gaijin' stuff all they like, ppl should not complain.
I don't see it as racist at all, if it said no black/white/other races people then that would be racist.

(#32 (permalink))
Old
Abasio (Offline)
徐世普真義留

04-13-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaksokuDa View Post
well, shop/bar/club ect owners can do what they want, its their place so they can put up 'no gaijin' stuff all they like, ppl should not complain.
I don't see it as racist at all, if it said no black/white/other races people then that would be racist.
That makes almost no sense at all

how is a no foreigner sign less racist than a no whites sign?
(#33 (permalink))
Old
YaksokuDa (Offline)
Banned

04-13-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abasio View Post
That makes almost no sense at all

how is a no foreigner sign less racist than a no whites sign?
they arent singling out one specific race. i dont think just if some shop owner puts up a no foreigner sign up he is racist, there could many reasons why he would put up such a sign. But if they put up no blacks sign that would be racist since he is singling out black ppl or any other race.
thats what i meant, ok? n_n sorry if i offended ya

(#34 (permalink))
Old
juanny (Offline)
New to JF

Look closer - 04-14-2007, 11:45 PM

Most of the images in that video came from whorehouses.

It has always been that way here, and to represent that as racisim is absurd.

They simply do not want all of the western diseases in them.

The video is biased, and the person who filmed it is enabling a fallacy. You know, kind of like those UFO images.

I suppose those are real as well.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Abasio (Offline)
徐世普真義留

04-15-2007, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaksokuDa View Post
they arent singling out one specific race. i dont think just if some shop owner puts up a no foreigner sign up he is racist, there could many reasons why he would put up such a sign. But if they put up no blacks sign that would be racist since he is singling out black ppl or any other race.
thats what i meant, ok? n_n sorry if i offended ya
no offence taken mate.
That actually makes sense.
I do kind of understand why there are these signs. Some foreigners in Japan are a disgrace! They take advantage of the cheap Japanese all you can drink deals get far too drunk & do stupid stupid things.
A lad I work with is a horrible horrible drunk. He gets load, obnoxious & violent when drunk. I've stopped going out with him for this reason. Last time he got really drunk started kicking random Japanese men in the ass in the izakaya. Was shouting at everybody in English. Called my mate Carol a slut then tried to get off with her & tried to smoke in the train.

So I understand why there are these signs but it's still not nice to be tarred with same brush.

The other day I was sat on the train & there were these american military guys there. Sorry to any americans here but your military presence in Japan is a main cause of the animosity towards foreigners. These 3 women were literally shouting on the train. Swearing & being generally rude to everyone.
I was sitting a little further away so obviously had no connection with them but I got the same dirty looks from everyone in the train.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Tatsujin (Offline)
New to JF

04-18-2007, 01:24 PM

Abasio is absolutely right.

The main reason in most clubs to hang signs preventing foreigners to enter is the american military personnel. It seems like the most problems caused in public places are because of the american military on a leave in the nearby towns. One thing that is visible too is that alot of clubs require a passport or an ID to enter, surprise surprise, the american military personnel don't have either.

Other part is the fear for the foreigners familiarity with the japanese customs and manners. Especially tourists usually cause more trouble than they should when entering an establishment without even a basic knowledge of the japanese language. English just doesn't cut it most of the time.

All in all it is mostly because of the military presence. No offense, but most of the time it just goes over board...

But yeah, just to not so biased, every nation in the world has people who just don't like foreigners. Claiming that "no, not the JAPANESE. They SEEM so NICE" is just absurd and to tell you the truth a pretty childish notion.

Last edited by Tatsujin : 04-18-2007 at 01:28 PM.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Gorotsuki (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Gorotsuki Send a message via MSN to Gorotsuki Send a message via Yahoo to Gorotsuki Send a message via Skype™ to Gorotsuki
06-27-2007, 05:29 PM

From what I have heard a lot of the signs are also in the red light districts.

I remember one thing debito was saying.

There was an icident where several american sailors attacked a woman near closing time in a resturant i beleive. They humiliated and urinated on her. She now has a no gaijin sign in the front of her place. Debito said it was wrong a racist...I personally see no problem. If everytime I experienced problems they were with outsiders I wouldn't want to put myself or my family in danger. In her case I think it is more then justified.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
gaijzilla (Offline)
JF Regular

07-03-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow49 View Post
There was an American who wasn't allowed in a Japanese-only spa. Instead of going someplace else he made a fuss and sued the place. Now he has a website about how racist and bad Japan is (he has Japanese citizenship). You can find him by typing in his new Japanized name "Debito".
Most or all of the images from this video come from his website.

I've seen signs like this myself. They're not so common that you see them all the time, but if you're in Japan long enough, you will see them.

Ok. All of you who think racism is not a problem in Japan, raise your hand.

Ok. Now how many of you have actually been to Japan?

Ok. Now how many of you have actually spent more than a week vacation in Japan and actually ventured out of the tourist areas?

....That's what I thought.

This is not to say that everyone in Japan is racist. A lot of people have been very kind and amazing to me. But I'm one of those people who can't ignore it when people are laughing/sneering at me behind my back (or often to my face because they seem to think I can't understand simple facial expressions or gestures).

True confessions of a small town blonde beauty, sent deep into the heart of Japan to school wild children. Witness her lonely descent into MADNESS and DESPAIR!

www.gaijzilla.com
(#39 (permalink))
Old
mishasu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to mishasu
07-03-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijzilla View Post
Most or all of the images from this video come from his website.

I've seen signs like this myself. They're not so common that you see them all the time, but if you're in Japan long enough, you will see them.

Ok. All of you who think racism is not a problem in Japan, raise your hand.

Ok. Now how many of you have actually been to Japan?

Ok. Now how many of you have actually spent more than a week vacation in Japan and actually ventured out of the tourist areas?

....That's what I thought.

This is not to say that everyone in Japan is racist. A lot of people have been very kind and amazing to me. But I'm one of those people who can't ignore it when people are laughing/sneering at me behind my back (or often to my face because they seem to think I can't understand simple facial expressions or gestures).

you have a really good point there, i really dont think they are racist, well not all of them becuase racism happens all over the world. i think that they just want to maybe keep to their traditions and have things private that they don't want tourists to see. like i can imagin it happens all over the world. and like someone said earlyer maybe in the bars/clubs or shops the owners/workers dont speak other languages and maybe dont want to go to the hassle of trying to work out what the tourists are saying.

also i think that the person that made the video was probably looking for those signs becuase i dont think its very comon in the more tourist places, just the rural villages.

i havnt been to japan myself [yet] bu when i do go i will totally respet if they dont want me in certain places, becuase for all we know forigners could intimidate them and maybe that is the reason they dont want them in their shops etc.

coz I'm an Angel-su!

the family
children: forgotenmemory
pets: goldfish - deadthinker
(#40 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
07-03-2007, 12:58 PM

Japanese people are not open-minded, that’s a fact and it's always been this way. When a Japanese man comes here for bussiness he asks for a Japanese translator, they will never trust non Japanese people when it comes to important matters.

But it's not just Japan, this happens everywhere in some "upper-class pubs", and it's only because tourists are usually very rowdy and that might prejudice the owners and the regular customers. No big deal, it's not like "Japan doesn't like us".

I agree, though, that somehow this is racism.

everything is relative and contradictory ~