JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-01-2010, 12:04 PM

I agree with Nyororin (yet again) about the language thing.

Here's why:
It's a cultural thing. Nyororin was saying that some things in Japan are not seen as being offensive. If you take some of those same ideas or ways of saying things and turn them into English and bring them to, for example America, then it would be considered rude.

I wouldn't qualify this as racism, but I've heard foreigners getting angry at things like constantly being asked where they're from. First of all, as a foreigner you're gonna be asked stuff like that. Second of all, it may be that person's first time asking, or just a way for them to spark up a conversation. And lastly, I've seen (at least around here) Japanese people ask OTHER Japanese people where they're from all the time. You can tell when people aren't from around here. Here's how: Langauge. When someone's accent is different, or the words they say aren't the same dialect as here, then you wanna know where this person is coming from and what the hell they're doing here. I think it's part curiosity, part defense (as far as here goes). It's a natural thing here. Also, I've seen people guess where other Japanese people are from based on their accent before... so when people ask me if I'm from the UK (I'm from the US), I don't particularly get offended, because I know it's something that people ask.

Also, when you don't know the language... then your imagination goes wild. You can fill the gaps (the areas which you don't understand) with whatever you want. You can fill those gaps in order to paint any picture you want...

"I wonder how it feels for them to read many of our comments or questions about THEIR country. It would be wonderful to hear their thoughts especially."
This is another part of the equation. Foreigners do a lot of talking about Japanese people and their "weird", "strange", and "exotic" habits.

And Nyororin, that last part of your post was really interesting... I had NO idea that kind of stuff was going on in Japan! We have a lot of Chinese and Phillipinos around here... I certainly hope none of that is going on in these parts- like you said, it sounds like a terrible people who want to earn an honest living.

I have to say though, a lot of my students do make fun of my big nose and green (which they always call blue) eyes all the time. They make fun of my beard when it grows out a bit and my chest hair (the little bit they can see during the summer "cool biz" months). I know it's all in good fun, though.

As far as interesting stereotypes that I've heard of recently... I've heard that gaijin cheat a lot (which should come off as ironic to anyone who checked out the "do japanese guys cheat" thread a little while back), I've heard that gaijin are good hagglers (... I am pretty good, if I may say so myself), I've heard we all kiss when we say hello, etc. I recommend calling people out when you hear this stuff and talking with the people who said it. I like to keep it completely humorous, as that's my favorite policy. There's no reason not to laugh at that stuff... just like there's no reason not to laugh at my grandma who was afraid of me going to Japan because she thought everyone wore rice-hats and that I might get in a rickshaw accident or in some nonsense like that (which she said completely innocently). It's just a matter of talking things out. For all you ALTs out there... I think that's honestly part of the job. I think holding in bad feelings about stuff like this is going to do nothing but harm-- so just try to educate as many people as you can.

I mean, even though I'm a pretty good haggler, I wouldn't give that title to just any old gaijin
(#22 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-01-2010, 01:01 PM

I can understand misunderstandings due to lack of language skills but as I said before I have heard numerous things said by Japanese people that we Westerners back in our home countries would undoubtedly consider racist but they would be surprised to think we thought of their comments that way.
But their comments were based on race and are most definitely racist by it's very definition. They may not be overly malicious in their intent and their comments may be based just on stereotypes and ignorance but in my book that's not an excuse for racism it's just a reason for it. An understanding of Japanese culture can make it more understandable why they don't perceive some of their comments as racist but doesn't take away the fact that they are. I don't really believe that there are cultural nuances to racism. Racism needs no great understanding of languages or cultures to be recognisable as far as I'm concerned. Knowledge of language and culture can help you understand the reasons behind the racism though. As I said earlier racism here is on the whole pretty benign but I think it plays a significant role as to why Japan has steadfastly remained a monoculture society.

Last edited by GoNative : 07-01-2010 at 01:03 PM.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-01-2010, 01:17 PM

Easing of visa rules paves way for biggest tourist group from China | The Japan Times Online

about chinese visiting Japan
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-01-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
I personally don't subscribe to the attitude that racism is mostly misunderstood in this country because of a lack of understanding of the language or culture.
And I don`t subscribe to the attitude of Mr Debito and his followers who see injustice and discrimination at every turn - even when it is justified toward a specific individual. Sorry, but if you don`t pay your rent for three months, decide to leave all your phone bills unpaid... Then come back to Japan in 2 years to find that *gasp* you can`t get a phone or apartment because you`ve been blacklisted... It is NOT discrimination or racism. It`s your own stupid fault and you deserve to get in trouble for it. Don`t blame the poor guy who you didn`t think was important enough to be paid because you weren`t planning on coming back to Japan. There are WAY too many of these stories out there.

Not to mention that if you look through the countless "racism" cases on his page, everyone somehow "forgets" to mention that 95% of them are hostess bars or soap lands.

At one point I thought he was a great fighter for equal rights... And then I read more. And more. And found out he was using his kids to bait places, and pushing them through all kinds of crap to "expose" racism that really didn`t matter that much. Instead of actually going after things that DO, they nitpick at little things that don`t really make much difference. If you`re standing on a corner protesting the use of "half" and screaming at people on the subway about it (an actual event...) they aren`t very likely to take you seriously even if you do try to deal with something serious.

There ARE cultural differences, and to act like they`re not there both in the interpretation of what is actually racism/discrimination and in how you try to tackle these issues is folly. Looking at Japanese behavior through a western lens and then reacting to it in the way you`d react to things like it in the west (or rather, the US in Debito`s case - ie. Suing 2ch for outing your affairs...) is just going to make you a laughing stock.

Quote:
But my friend had and have. She always got messages from Japanese people.
In these message they write many terrible things to her.
The 'kindest' message was 'you, gaijin bitch die!'
That sort of thing sounds like she was picked up by 2ch or the like for writing something that REALLY made a lot of people mad. WHAT is she saying? That is the important thing.

Quote:
And lastly, I've seen (at least around here) Japanese people ask OTHER Japanese people where they're from all the time. You can tell when people aren't from around here.
This is definitely true. My husband is from Fukui - right along the coast. It is one of the most distinct accents in common use in Japan. All areas have their own accents, but they tend to be limited in use. As in 80%+ of speech is standard with only older people or certain phrases being a local accent or dialect. But in a few areas even young people speak with 50%+ dialect. Fukui is one of the few. Even the local news broadcasters have a pronounced accent - and on NHK at that!
When you hear someone with an accent similar to one you`re familiar with or one very different, it`s natural curiosity that prompts people to ask. It`s like weather level small talk. Apparently this is offensive to some people as they don`t know the culture behind it and assume it`s only because they`re not Japanese. It`s just a way to try and start up a conversation, and one that has been pounded into them in school as a good way to start talking with a foreigner on top of that.

Quote:
And Nyororin, that last part of your post was really interesting... I had NO idea that kind of stuff was going on in Japan! We have a lot of Chinese and Phillipinos around here... I certainly hope none of that is going on in these parts- like you said, it sounds like a terrible people who want to earn an honest living.
The Japanese government is pretty naive and just sort of bumbles along without noticing a lot of these things - so it becomes a thorn in the side of a lot of people who are denied services when they go about it in the correct procedure... When someone who cries racism can get by without a question. There was a huge one in the news just a couple days ago about a bunch of Chinese immigrants who came to Japan without legal employment but flubbed their way into free housing and utilities, unemployment benefits, etc etc.

It`s awful because the majority isn`t like that - but the bad people who take advantage of the system or the general kindness of people reflect badly on everyone. And that person isn`t likely to be kind to the next person that comes along to potentially take advantage of them. And they`re likely to be very vocal about how they were taken advantage of to all their friends, family, and the like.

Quote:
I've heard that gaijin cheat a lot (which should come off as ironic to anyone who checked out the "do japanese guys cheat" thread a little while back)
Actually - in Japan - this is pretty accurate. There are WAY too many guys here who want to hop in bed with Japanese girls.... And who cheat like no other because they have girls interested in them that wouldn`t have happened otherwise.

Quote:
I've heard we all kiss when we say hello
Most people I`ve encountered who have mentioned this usually seem to know that it`s European and not "western" in general.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
willgoestocollege (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-01-2010, 01:53 PM

I came across a video on youtube about racism in Japan from a youtuber called flipflopping who has been living in Japan for about seven years with his family from the US. Part one was about the word "gaijin" and how he is offended by it but for people who live or been to Japan, do you find the word gaijin negative? Part two is the video I want to show you guys. There's a few things that he states which you probably already know about in Japan such as places which have "no foreigners allowed" signs and bids for apartments being turned down. Also a few shocking things he says in the video and one of them is that kids had thrown rocks at him.

YouTube - My views on Japan: Part 2 Racism
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Shizu (Offline)
JF Regular

07-01-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
That sort of thing sounds like she was picked up by 2ch or the like for writing something that REALLY made a lot of people mad. WHAT is she saying? That is the important thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I think that it is all too easy to send hurtful messages. It happens a lot in our country at school etc. Nothing to do with colour or ethnicity. Just some people like the freedom to bully on the net because it is so easy. Youngsters Can be very cruel world wide. Its best to ignore bullies who ever they may be. If they know that the bullied one is upset, they will do it more.

Of course I do not know the type of blog she writes on. Is she respectful to Japanese people?

I think we are all human beings-- none of us were in control of where we were born or whar country.

Best to make friends and be understanding and also have a sense of humour.
She writes about her life. She is a university student, and she loves Japan, the language, culture and everything about the country, just like me.
She learns Japanese.
She writes only about her life, what's she doing, about music she likes, concerts she went, places she visited. A normal personal blog, that's why I don't understand.

I've said her, delete the messages, but it must be really hurtful, if you got a message like this.

hm, but actually I don't thing this thing needs a sense of humour.
I think I have a good sense of humour, but I don't think this is funny.
And, for me it's really strange and scary thing to hear some stories, about elementary or high school youngster send cruel messages for each other and hurts and hit each other (I've heard many stories about young students, who committed suicide because of her/his classmates bullied her/him), because I've never experience anything like this. oO
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-01-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willgoestocollege View Post
I came across a video on youtube about racism in Japan from a youtuber called flipflopping who has been living in Japan for about seven years with his family from the US. Part one was about the word "gaijin" and how he is offended by it but for people who live or been to Japan, do you find the word gaijin negative? Part two is the video I want to show you guys. There's a few things that he states which you probably already know about in Japan such as places which have "no foreigners allowed" signs and bids for apartments being turned down. Also a few shocking things he says in the video and one of them is that kids had thrown rocks at him.
I don`t find gaijin offensive. Do you find the word "foreigner" offensive? It`s just the word "foreigner" in Japanese abbreviated a bit like every other longish compound word in Japanese tends to be. If you`re not Japanese, surprise surprise, you`re a foreigner.

In general, the great majority of the "no foreigners allowed" signs are at red light district places. Hostess clubs, soap lands, etc etc.

I have never personally encountered any apartment discrimination, nor met someone in real life who was turned down. It`s a HUGE rumor sort of thing that you can`t rent an apartment in Japan.
If you`re just in Japan for the short term and aren`t going to be in the country long enough to fulfill a lease - you`ll be turned down. If you do not have the job history to have "credit" - you will be turned down. By the way - to rent most apartments a normal Japanese citizen has to have been working for so long and have a huge advance payment. Places that don`t require this (the places that are generally popular with the foreigners in Japan) are pretty picky. They`ll turn you down for stupid crap like spotting pet hair on your clothes, etc, because you might violate the lease.
And there are literally TONS of cases of short term English teachers in Japan running off without paying their rent or utilities - and leaving their trash, furniture, etc in the apartment for the landlord to dispose of. These aren`t rumors. You can EASILY find advice on foreigners in Japan sites to just not bother paying the last month or two because no one will come after you once you leave Japan - from people who brag about leaving huge bills behind to screw the landlord because they thought the building or trash rules were stupid.

It`s common enough that it is really a surprise to me how many places ARE willing to extend their trust.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

07-01-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:

I have never personally encountered any apartment discrimination, nor met someone in real life who was turned down. It`s a HUGE rumor sort of thing that you can`t rent an apartment in Japan.
If you`re just in Japan for the short term and aren`t going to be in the country long enough to fulfill a lease - you`ll be turned down. If you do not have the job history to have "credit" - you will be turned down. By the way - to rent most apartments a normal Japanese citizen has to have been working for so long and have a huge advance payment.
I dont think its a myth. Exaggerated maybe (I wouldnt know and untill someone does some sort of research on it then we can never say whether it is exaggerated or not)... but not a myth.

I know someone in real life who was denied many apartments because of him being gaijin. Its one of my politics teachers here at the university Im studying in so I dont think its merely a huge rumour. The problem is not really agencies though rather landlords according to him as usually things would be proceeding finally untill the landlord understood that he was gaijin.

As for having to have some sort of work history here in Japan to be viable to rent an apartment, according to my teacher the only criteria is that you be able to prove you have a reliable income. With him he was getting a Japanese sponsored GOVERNMENT scholarship so that he could do his Phd.

Furthermore the association of foreigners with being unreliable is racist in itself and not an excuse for discrimination.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
willgoestocollege (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-01-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I don`t find gaijin offensive. Do you find the word "foreigner" offensive? It`s just the word "foreigner" in Japanese abbreviated a bit like every other longish compound word in Japanese tends to be. If you`re not Japanese, surprise surprise, you`re a foreigner.
Exactly. I wouldn't find it offensive myself but I don't know why some people would.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
atheistwithfaith (Offline)
JF Regular

07-01-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Well you can always go to debito.org for plenty of discussions on racism in this country. Mr Debito himself who speaks, reads and writes the language fluently and has become a Japanese citizen has somewhat tirelessly taken on and battled many racist issues in this country.
I personally don't subscribe to the attitude that racism is mostly misunderstood in this country because of a lack of understanding of the language or culture.
I would take Debito's stuff with a pinch of salt. He jumps on any little misunderstanding and brands it racism. In fact, he probably gives us gaijin a bad name as troublemakers much more than any good he might do.