JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Jordanfuller (Offline)
New to JF

07-11-2010, 01:24 AM

Nice, thank you for all the info this was very helpful =) now I feel like I have a little more of a trail to follow instead of a rough idea and no map XD
(#12 (permalink))
Old
willgoestocollege (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-11-2010, 01:30 AM

You could do a working holiday visa which allows you to live and work in Japan for about a year. This is a good thing to do as you will experience what it's like to live in the country.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-11-2010, 04:08 AM

It appears you have never even been to Japan yet you are convinced that you would like to become a Japanese citizen? Um can I ask why? Without ever having set foot in the country or living within it for any period of time you are convinced you would like to give up your current citizenship to live here? I would suggest getting your college degree first, get some more life experience including travelling to a number of different countries around the world and spend some time living in Japan before even thinking about things like changing citizenship!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Jordanfuller (Offline)
New to JF

07-12-2010, 01:48 AM

Ever since I was a little kid I have always been fascinated with Japan, and no it's not because I read to much manga or watched to much anime, I didn't even know that, that's where that came from. I had just seen images of the country and met other kids in school from there and was fascinated, the history everything. Giving up my citizen to this country doesn't seem like a big deal to me I don't really have any ties and I am not attached to it I hate this country ^.^
(#15 (permalink))
Old
mushiatsui (Offline)
New to JF

07-12-2010, 02:10 AM

I think you are taking citizenship a little too seriously. I have lived in Japan for over 20 yrs. I have family here, own my own home, have set up various companies, pay taxes & social insurance like everyone else & receive the same benefits(?). I don't have citizenship and besides not being able to vote and stand in a slightly shorter que at immigration, don't see the advantage of having Japan citizenship. Being very interested in Japan is not a bad thing and we look forward to having you with us. In any event you will need to have employment to live here. I suggest you don't get too hung up on the citizen thing just yet.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

07-12-2010, 04:14 AM

This is why I don't like to tell people of my interest in Japan.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#17 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-12-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanfuller View Post
Hello I am 17 going to be finished with high school in the next few months, my ultimate goal is to become a citizen in japan and I know thats going to take a long time but I am determined. I know I need 5 years of continous residency but Im not sure where to start , obviously I need to learn japanese and I am enrolling in classes for that really soon but then what? I understand teaching might be a good idea but where would I start would I need to go to college in Japan or here? what degree would I need ? thanks in advance for any advice.
To get a work visa you need a 4 year degree in anything from an accredited university.

My advice. Get your degree, come here through JET or an Eikaiwa company, live the life, then decide if that is what you really want.

But why, oh why would you want to forfeit your citizenship in the US to become Japanese? Working in Japan you will not pay US taxes on any of your Japanese income up to something like 85,000 dollars a year (it increases a little bit every year). The most I would recommend you going for is "permanent resident status", that in and of itself will take you a very long time to achieve.

There is no need to throw away your US citizenship. You do not even know right now if Japan is the place for you. And please remember that unless you are ethnically Japanese, despite getting your citizenship, most of Japanese society will never see you as Japanese. Is that really something that you want for yourself?
(#18 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-12-2010, 07:25 AM

Jordanfuller, I'm sure whatever path you take you will come to this realization some day, but I think the first step in your "journey to Japan" you would find it worthwhile to get your bearigns in your own homeland.

Other people have already said it, but I'll reiterate to really drive this one home: learn Japanese. If you haven't already started, I'd say now's a good time. Believe it or not, many people lose interest in "Japan" by about their second year of Japanese study (at the college level). So consider that like your first rite of passage (I'd put that in short term goals).

I don't know if it has been established yet, but what country are you in? I came from America and majoring in Japanese at my college seemed quite easy compared to other majors (paper wise and logistically speaking... fewer essays and not a whole lotta flaming hoops at the end). It was, however, difficult in that learning Japanese is not the easiest thing to stick to. So whether or not you decide to major in Japanese, you should definitely finish college. That should be another goal and step.

Another thing you might consider is a trip to Japan. Here are some options: Maybe you can take a trip with your high school (or a related or nearby high school). Maybe you could take a trip as some kind of graduation present. Maybe you could study abroad in Japan while you're in college. Maybe you could travel to Japan as a graduation present (for college this time). Or, maybe you could travel to Japan by getting a temporary teaching job (such as JET).

Living here for a period of time will be the real test. I believe the more language you know, the better time you will have. It also depends on how open minded you are. There are major cultural differences between your home country and Japan, I'm sure. That includes food, manners, traditions, work mentality, weather, household items, and way beyond. I think what you might find is that there will be positive things and negative things (from your perspective)... and I think it won't be too different from your own country when you really start to weigh things out. In this case getting a citizenship usually means getting rid of a citizenship, so you really have a lot of thinking to do. Getting to that point where you can make a choice will take years (probably something I'd put at about 10 years from now for you). It's a choice that you're making for life, so you have to do some serious thinking about it, and to be frank, I think you're a bit young to be making decisions on that level. I think it's a good idea to plan things out, and there's no harm in starting early. I think RickOShay pointed out a good alternate option that you can choose other than a Japanese Citizenship.

Last edited by steven : 07-12-2010 at 07:29 AM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
willgoestocollege (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-12-2010, 01:36 PM

Some really good advice here. I also recommend buying a book on "Live and Work in Japan" as this will have a lot of important information on culture shock, costs, hazards etc.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-12-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanfuller View Post
Ever since I was a little kid I have always been fascinated with Japan, and no it's not because I read to much manga or watched to much anime, I didn't even know that, that's where that came from. I had just seen images of the country and met other kids in school from there and was fascinated, the history everything. Giving up my citizen to this country doesn't seem like a big deal to me I don't really have any ties and I am not attached to it I hate this country ^.^
I also want to caution you here. You should not put Japan up on a pedestal. Or make it into some magic land where you can escape your "crappy life" back home, because if you do so, it is sure to disappoint you. Japan is just another place on earth, and you will not be getting away from reality by coming here. I am not saying this is you, but to say that you hate your country, and want to move to Japan and become Japanese, sounds a lot like what people who are thinking Japan is some sort of a cloud nine fantasy land escape might say.

Let me ask you to make things clear. What are the things you hate so much about America, and why have you concluded that those things will not exist, or be better in Japan?