JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Allison (Offline)
New to JF

Shampoo for Caucasions - 09-04-2010, 07:05 PM

Hi, I went to Japan about two years ago and lived there for one year. Initially I brought my fav shampoo and conditioner with me and then was able to replenish when I went home for school break. I tried the Japanese shampoo while there but found it left my hair greasy. I'm guessing that Japanese shampoo is meant for asian hair and not blonde hair. I'm going back to Japan for another year but didn't want to lug a year's worth of shampoo and conditioner, so my question is, does anyone know of an excellent shampoo that can be bought in Japan and used on blonde hair? Thank you!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
09-04-2010, 09:23 PM

I've never been Japan and I'm not an expert on this situation, but I don't think you can ask a shampoo for "Blonde hair" as opposed to "Asian hair". Blonde isn't a race, and probably doesn't have any differences other than color when compared to Asian hair. Maybe you should just try different brands.

Here in America, I can find one shampoo that makes my hair greasy, and one that sucks the grease completely out , yet neither were specialized in blonde hair (I'm blonde too).

Unless there's some difference that I'm just completely unaware of when comparing these two races of hair, I'm going to guess that the brands you bought just didn't work for your hair type, and has nothing to do with color/race of your hair. Just keep trying out different brands and see what works for you.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Allison (Offline)
New to JF

09-04-2010, 10:37 PM

5 Ways That Asian Hair Is Different From Caucasian Hair
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Allison (Offline)
New to JF

09-04-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyMePink View Post
I've never been Japan and I'm not an expert on this situation, but I don't think you can ask a shampoo for "Blonde hair" as opposed to "Asian hair". Blonde isn't a race, and probably doesn't have any differences other than color when compared to Asian hair. Maybe you should just try different brands.

Here in America, I can find one shampoo that makes my hair greasy, and one that sucks the grease completely out , yet neither were specialized in blonde hair (I'm blonde too).

Unless there's some difference that I'm just completely unaware of when comparing these two races of hair, I'm going to guess that the brands you bought just didn't work for your hair type, and has nothing to do with color/race of your hair. Just keep trying out different brands and see what works for you.

Apparently they are scientifically different.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-04-2010, 10:45 PM

The scientists may say that they are different and I would trust the scientists.

But I wouldnt trust the beauty industry. They didnt know this before the scientists said there was a difference and shampoo has existed in Japan for a while now.

The fact is that you can find the same shampoo types in Japan at any good supermarket.

Ask the clerk for details.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
09-04-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post

Apparently they are scientifically different.
Doesn't exactly mean they can't be cleaned the same way though.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-04-2010, 11:42 PM

It depends on the person, but I'd say that in general having blond/brown hair is different than asian black hair for sure. The way you clean it has a lot to do with your scalp as well I believe. Some people have dry scalps and have to compensate for that and some people have overly oily scalps and have to deal with that. Using an oily shampoo when you have an oily head might give you some problems.

I've used quite a few shampoos and what I like the best so far is Vogue "Scalp Shampoo" and Predia Conditioner. I don't know why, but I think they make a good combo. I've used a few types of Predia Conditioner-- there's one in a tiny green package that you leave on your head for a few minutes before rinsing it out and it leaves your head with a nice cool feeling-- I actually really like using it on extremely hot days if not for that reason alone. They also make a conditioner (which I think is pretty new) that comes in a bigger package. It retains a lot of what the smaller packaged stuff has, but you don't have to leave it in your hair as long. It will get the job done but it won't leave your head with that super cool feeling. Vogue also makes a seaweed based conditioner in a same sized case as the small Predia stuff that works pretty good.

I imagine it's expensive stuff though. My wife picks it up at her work for a discount. If you have brittle hair, the combinations that I wrote about will help alleviate it to a degree.

Predia Website: (I guess it's part of Kose)
http://www.predia.net/predia_hair/catalog/index.html
I use the リラックスヘッドスパ [2520円] and the big bottle of ファンゴヘアマスク [3000円]

Vogue Website: (Looks like it's part of kanebo)
http://www.lissage.jp/products/produ...il.php?pid=527

One thing about these shampoos is that you can buy refills for them, so you don't have to keep buying new bottles and cases. In fact, our bottle of Vogue is an older version. You can save like 500円 or so by getting refills.

Good luck!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-05-2010, 01:25 AM

I am not blonde, but I have thin hair that is definitely not Asian - as does my son.

I have always found that the shampoos I use in Japan leaves my hair quite nice, and that I end up having to use a ton of conditioner/treatment stuff with most shampoos in the US. It`s like they strip all the oil from my hair and leave it dried up and frizzy, unless it`s some kind of "damage treatment" shampoo. (And no, my hair is not damaged - I do not even blow it dry.)

It really is down to the shampoo. Japan has quite a few shampoo and conditioner mixes that leave your hair feeling like crap (in my opinion), but it`s just a matter of not buying them.

I really don`t buy into the shampoos being different. Pantene is exactly the same as outside Japan, and it`s popular. As is V05 and Herbal Essences. They`re the exact same shampoos.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-05-2010, 01:52 AM

The stuff I listed works great for brittle hair-- especially the predia conditioner.

I should have mentioned that sometimes I use treatment in my hair to straighten it out (especially around my ears). If I use the 'wrong' shampoo/conditioner then it will go right back to being kinky in a short time. If I use the 'right' stuff, then it will keep the treatment that I use for a longer period of time.

My opinion on this isn't exactly a scientific one, but I feel like most of the Shampoos I used in America seemed to remain in my hair... it liked prevented moisture from getting in. After I used certain Japanese shampoos/conditioners I really noticed my hair looking like it had more moisture in it... but for some weird reason that doesn't come at a cost of completely weighing it down.

The Predia conditioner has what I think is some kind of coffee base, which is supposedly good for your scalp/hair growth. The Vogue conditioner that I talked about is apparently made with seaweed, which is said to be good at protecting your hair. While I think there are some scientific things about that, I wouldn't buy completely into that kinda stuff, just try out some different shampoos and go with whatever works best for you.

I'm pretty sure they sell shampoo and conditioner at makeup stores (which makes sense because the two brands I listed are from makeup companies). If you go to stores that carry those things, they would probably give you some samples if you ask. The samples I've seen would be enough for a half week to a week, which I think should be enough time to decide (I don't particularly like companies that say you should try their product for like a 3 month period before making a decision... I think that's awfully suspicious).
(#10 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-05-2010, 06:37 AM

I have fine blonde curls and they are very particular about what they like. For the last few years I've only been buying hair care products from Lush. I prefer the Karma Komba shampoo bar followed by either their Veganese or Coolaulin conditioner. The bars last a really long time for their size, two months plus on my hair - which is a few inches past my shoulders.

You can hit up the English website for more info on their products. The store staff is always very helpful, they make lots of good recommendations once you tell them what you're after. If one of their shops isn't close to you while you are there they can ship to you via their Japanese website.