LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-06-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I honestly don't get this question that much by Japanese, it's usually other foreigners outside of Japan (like during my preparation to move here). People would ask me "Why Japan?," and unfortunately follow that with the question "So are you like into anime and stuff?" 9/10 times.
It's like people wanted me to justify why I was going there, but the connotation of their voice wasn't curious as much as it was resentment.
So really this blog entry doesn't hit that close to home, as he is talking about Japanese curious as to why a foreigner would want to come to Japan, where you are dealing with friends from home wondering why you want to go to Japan.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-06-2010, 06:54 AM

I am often asked the same question, but there's not much of a mystery as to why Japanese like to ask it. Many Japanese think of America, Canada, or Europe as more interesting and exciting than Japan, and they wonder why someone would leave any of those places for a life in Japan.

In my case I tell them that "I like living in Japan", which is an honest answer. I've lived on both coasts in America (and many places in between), and I've spent time in other countries as well. Japan isn't necessarily better than any of these places, but my likes outweigh my dislikes, and so I remain here.

Of course it's possible that one day I'll visit a place I like more, and if such a thing happens I'll explore the possibility of living there instead.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

09-06-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
So really this blog entry doesn't hit that close to home, as he is talking about Japanese curious as to why a foreigner would want to come to Japan, where you are dealing with friends from home wondering why you want to go to Japan.
I don't look at it with that narrow of a perception.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-06-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I don't look at it with that narrow of a perception.
You said it hit really close to home, but those that are asking you why you are moving to Japan are your friends and fellow countrymen, and have a stereotype about people that are interested in Japan.

This is different from topic of the blog post, which was about a foreigner in Japan who is (oddly) tired of Japanese people asking why he chose to move to Japan. As was stated by more than one person here, it probably has to to with some Japanese native's negative feelings (or low esteem) for Japan as living/working destination.

It's not a narrow perception, but a clear one.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Heru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-13-2010, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Why would someone be offended if they ask you why you came to Japan? I was asked many times and it never bothered me. I felt like some people who live in Japan some negative feelings about it and couldn't understand why someone would want to move out of their home country to move into Japan.
I agree with this.

I sometimes am interested in why others move to America, or even Canada. Really I'm just interested in why anyone moves anywhere out of their country.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

09-13-2010, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heru View Post
I agree with this.

I sometimes am interested in why others move to America, or even Canada. Really I'm just interested in why anyone moves anywhere out of their country.
So am I. It's a pretty big thing to move away from family and friends and all that is known and comfortable in your life to another country. The reasons why people choose to do this also interest me.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-13-2010, 11:03 AM

well ask them, WHY NOT?
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-13-2010, 12:05 PM

I also don`t get why this is a frustrating question.
It`s no different than moving to a new town and being asked "What brought you here?", etc. People are curious about why someone new came to their area. When you`re clearly different in appearance, it`s just easier for someone to know that you`re not from around there.
Japanese people ask other Japanese people this question ALL THE TIME when they find out that someone is from another area. The thing is, for foreigners, you`re always not from around there.

It`s small talk. People aren`t looking for your life story. The only time I can see it being stressful is if the reason you are there is either stressful or embarrassing to talk about.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
fujikuro (Offline)
New to JF

09-13-2010, 02:58 PM

Japanese people think more simply"Why are you interested in Japan?"
They are less interested in why he/she left their country of origin.
I don't think many Japanese think of America, Canada, or Europe as more interesting and exciting than Japan.
Some might think that or say that.But foreign students from asian countries also are asked the same question.
Official answer: history,literature.
Real intention: anime,manga,game.

Jero,a famous enka singer,once said that he was asked more than thousand times that why he came to Japan and why he got interested in enka. No one cares why he left US.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-13-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujikuro View Post
Jero,a famous enka singer,once said that he was asked more than thousand times that why he came to Japan and why he got interested in enka. No one cares why he left US.
Jero's case is a little different. He is an young African American man who has a sense of style which is more hip-hop than traditional Japanese. Yet he is a popular enka singer. If he was only asked 1000 times why he got interested in enka, he's be lucky.

His interest in enka is more interesting than why he left the US.