JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ceruleanwoes (Offline)
New to JF

Claiming packeges sent from the Philippines - 09-25-2010, 12:08 PM

Hi, I'd like to ask what is the process of claiming packages which have been sent from the Philippines?

I'll be studying in Kobe College for a year, and my family will be sending me two boxes which contain my clothes, shoes, toiletries, food, etc. via the Philippine Postal Service through air courier.

Would I be required to pay taxes upon claiming the packages?

Is it possible to have the packages delivered?

Thank you, and I hope to hear from you soon
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-26-2010, 02:11 AM

Sending packages to Japan is not difficult. I shipped 4 large boxes containing everything from shoes to kitchenware and did not have to pay any duties on it, even though the shipping cost was more than $100 per box.

You should send your boxes by priority mail if possible, as they will be tracked and less likely to be lost. The cost is higher, but the packages will clear customs more quickly.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
utsu (Offline)
JF Regular

09-26-2010, 03:40 PM

Also, there is a different option - unaccompanied luggage.
I had to ship our belongings like that, just to be sure to avoid customs duties.

When you arrive in Japan, you fill out a landing/customs form, there is a box there for "unaccompanied luggage". Check it, that way the customs guys are aware that there will be additional shipments coming.

I used an air shipping company, the downside was I had to collect the boxes at the airport myself. But it was cheap and hassle free when it came to customs clearances. I sent 12 huge plastic bins as unaccompanied luggage last year.

In the past I was been asked to pay customs duties even on my own stuff shipped to me in other ways (priority mail, FedEx, etc) and explaining that it was my stuff, used and old, was a nightmare.
But I guess it all depends on what you want to send.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ceruleanwoes (Offline)
New to JF

09-28-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsu View Post
Also, there is a different option - unaccompanied luggage.
I had to ship our belongings like that, just to be sure to avoid customs duties.

When you arrive in Japan, you fill out a landing/customs form, there is a box there for "unaccompanied luggage". Check it, that way the customs guys are aware that there will be additional shipments coming.

I used an air shipping company, the downside was I had to collect the boxes at the airport myself. But it was cheap and hassle free when it came to customs clearances. I sent 12 huge plastic bins as unaccompanied luggage last year.

In the past I was been asked to pay customs duties even on my own stuff shipped to me in other ways (priority mail, FedEx, etc) and explaining that it was my stuff, used and old, was a nightmare.
But I guess it all depends on what you want to send.
But which is better, I opt for the unaccompanied baggage and then claim it at the airport, or just let our post office mail the package to the nearest post office in Nishinomiya? I'm trying to avoid paying custom duties but at the same time finding a way to send my stuff the quickest, easiest and cheapest possible way.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
utsu (Offline)
JF Regular

09-29-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceruleanwoes View Post
But which is better, I opt for the unaccompanied baggage and then claim it at the airport, or just let our post office mail the package to the nearest post office in Nishinomiya? I'm trying to avoid paying custom duties but at the same time finding a way to send my stuff the quickest, easiest and cheapest possible way.
That I am not sure, as I don't know how much it would cost to ship packages as air cargo from the Philippines to KIX.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

09-29-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceruleanwoes View Post
Hi, I'd like to ask what is the process of claiming packages which have been sent from the Philippines?

I'll be studying in Kobe College for a year, and my family will be sending me two boxes which contain my clothes, shoes, toiletries, food, etc. via the Philippine Postal Service through air courier.

Would I be required to pay taxes upon claiming the packages?

Is it possible to have the packages delivered?

Thank you, and I hope to hear from you soon
hmm, actually rather than asking here, u might get better info on how to do this if you ask around in the Church located in Sannomiya.

Basically, I have never sent anything from the Philippines. I find it useless, all the things that I would need can be bought in Japan and quality is much better.

btw, Philippine Airline allows U to bring 20 kilos worth of baggage plus carry on luggage which is about 7 kilos..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------