JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Japanese houses, no basements - 10-18-2010, 12:07 AM

I have been living in Japan for a total of more than 6 years now, and one thing I have always wondered and never gotten a solid answer to is why do most Japanese houses not have basements?

The only thing I can think of is it has something to do with earthquake safety or possibly city drainage systems, but I am not really sure if that is true. Does anybody know for sure? Or heard other theories/answers? You would think in a country with such limited space every opportunity to expand would be put to use.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
BakaTensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to BakaTensei
10-18-2010, 12:38 AM

I live in northern ireland (part of the UK) and I've never been in a house that has a basement in my 20 years on this earth...I've been in a castle that has a cellar and obviously bigger building that have basement floors but no houses
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-18-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaTensei View Post
I live in northern ireland (part of the UK) and I've never been in a house that has a basement in my 20 years on this earth...I've been in a castle that has a cellar and obviously bigger building that have basement floors but no houses
Yes, but would it be safe to assume Ireland does not have the population/space issues that Japan has?

Also is there a particular reason houses in Ireland are not built with basements? Or is it just seen as unnecessary?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-18-2010, 02:06 AM

Basements would be extremely rare in Australia as well. To be honest in all my travels I've found the whole basement thing to be most prevalent in North America and not much elsewhere.
Up here in Hokkaido there are many houses with I guess you'd call them sub-basement maybe. About half underground and half out. I think it's mainly due to the concrete footings needing to be pretty substantial because of the weight of snow we get up here in winter.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-18-2010, 02:35 AM

I'm not gonna give you a straight answer, but I'll try to think of a few reasons.

One reason I can think of is ventilation. At least in my area, most houses (especially older ones) are "on stilts", in a sense. I know some people put agricultural tools and stuff under there when they're not using them. I wonder if people don't store other things as well. I imagine that this has to do with letting humidity settle as far as ventilation goes. Here we have lots of rice fields too... so if they were to ever flood as a result of a TON of rain (which I can't really see happening with the kind of irrigation they have) then it would be a good idea to have their houses slightly elevated like they do.

Incidentally, the "stilted" foundations or "slab" style foundations that I've also seen have come into handy for a lot of people and the surrounding cities recently. When the city wants to widen their roads, they pay people to "move" their houses like 20 feet. This process involves building a new foundation and picking up the house and moving it to the new foundation (this is a simplified version of what actually happens I'm sure, but as a passerby of these houses that's all I see of the process). I think it's interesting to note that a lot of rivers have been "hand-crafted" in a sense. In otherwords, rivers have been redirected by people and I wonder if they didn't move houses similarly to how they move them now as a result of that as well.

---
*After doing a quick search on the net*

I should preface this by saying that I have noticed many floors of 'basement' in big city buildings (especially in Tokyo), so I don't see why that couldn't be done for houses as well.

I kinda did a couple of quick searches like on wikipedia/wikipedia jp etc. I used the word 地下室 and didn't get much info from there. On google I did see a couple of house building companies who say they can build a basement on request. I think the land has to meet certain requirements though. It seems that it is just cheaper to build a house above ground, basically. Another thing, within the text that I saw, they seemed to mention the "plots" of land a lot... I wonder if there is a special tax for plots that go under ground?

As I am basically writing this off the top of my head, I'll paste what I found just now which might be the answer to your question:

"平成6年、建築基準法が改正され、天井高が地盤面か の高さ1メートル以下にある地下室の場合、延べ床面 の1/3までが容積率に算入されなくなりました。つまり、同 じ敷地でも、2階建てに地下室をプラスすれば、床面積 が1.5倍の住宅を建築できるというわけです。このこ で住宅の可能性は大いに広がりました。

建ぺい率・容積率の厳しい地域や敷地内に傾斜地がある 所でも敷地の有効利用が出来ます。
5人家族が充分快適に過ごせる1・2階の間取りに加え 、1フロアを地下室でそっくりゆとりのスペースとして お使いいただけます。
使い方はご家族の希望にあわせていろいろ!音楽を楽し んだり、収納に使ったり、書斎、アトリエとしてお使い いただくのはいかがでしょう。
住むだけから楽しむスペースがある暮らしを提供します 。 "

Looks like there was a regulation that existed up until about 15 or so years ago. So maybe you won't see basements except in newer houses- and even still, they may not be popular yet. I'll try to understand that chunk of Japanese a little more later on.

Here's the website that it came from:

狭い土地に広い家!?-ミツヤジーホーム(地下室付きデザイン注文住宅-長野県長野市)
(#6 (permalink))
Old
BakaTensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to BakaTensei
10-18-2010, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
Yes, but would it be safe to assume Ireland does not have the population/space issues that Japan has?

Also is there a particular reason houses in Ireland are not built with basements? Or is it just seen as unnecessary?
You'd be right in assuming haha =p I've never asked or been told why there are no basements (not saying there isnt any btw just saying i havnt come across any in regards to friends houses, relatives houses etc) when it comes to storage most houses use their attics or their garages. Northern Ireland has also had quite a bit of trouble with sectarianism such as the IRA and UVF so I doubt the goverment wanted people to have somewhere to stash all the guns and ammo, maybe thats a reason? I cant really say truthfully but im just offering suggestions to why it might be unseen in my area/culture =p
(#7 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-18-2010, 04:23 AM

"「地下室」と聞くと、ジメジメした暗い倉庫のイメー 、そして、地下室は価格が高いイメージを持たれてい 方も少なくないのではないでしょうか?
地下室といえば従来こんな問題点があります。でも「SUB システム地下室」なら安心!"

here's another quote from that site. This basically says that basements have kind of a dark, gloomy, and humid "image". It's like a place to store old stuff, in a sense. It says that some people probably think that basements are really costly as well. (then it kind of goes on to sell basements as this website is trying to make money of course).

"[結露でカビる地下室]
断熱を考えない地下室がたくさんあって、その地下室は 夏場、ビックリするくらいコンクリートの壁に結露しま す。壁を二重にして、表面上結露を見せないようにする のですが、その裏でカビが生えて臭くなったり蚊が発生 するものです。
「SUBシステム地下室」は、断熱材を使用し、結露が起き ないシステムなので安心です。"

This is talking about mold. It starts off with saying that there are a lot of basements that are built without thinking about proper insulation (I don't know about "a lot" though... I've never personally encountered a basement myself so I think they might be using the term "a lot" to make people think that "everyone has one" to help sell their product). Anyways, they're talking about their "special" insulation and what not. I have had personal experience with a pretty closed-up room having some mold issues, and that was above ground! I have since added some insulation and different things and it has reduced it quite a bit though.

"[価格が高い地下室]
住宅にも昔から「地下室」は作られていましたが、止水 の工法等が技術的に確立していなったので、工事が複雑 化し、費用が沢山掛かっていました。又、施工手順も整 備されていなかったので、作ってみなければ、いくら掛 かったか分かりませんでした。それらに対応してリスク を回避するために高額(80万円/坪〜130万円/坪)の建設費でした。"

This says that there have been basements in houses since long ago but the old style "stagnant water???" style construction produced many complications. (I have no idea what they men by ~style of construction to be quite frank). It also says that basements were hard to quote (pricing wise) because nobody really knew what kinds of complications could occur. As a result of this, quotes (or actual prices I suppose) had a huge range. It says 80万~130万 as an example. (80万=about 8 grand US... I don't know how long ago they're talking about though so it could be a different story). Anyways, I take it the gist of what they're saying is that building a basement was a high risk thing to do.

The next big paragraph looks like it's just trying to sell what they have to offer, so I'm not going to bother going into it. At any rate, it looks like there is a pretty negative image of basements in Japan (which is according to this website). If I understood what they were saying, and it is indeed true, then that is the case. I believe that the combination of worries that people have about basements makes them less than desireable. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they became a little more popular in the future (especially in the ianaka). People could use them for home theaters or music rooms and stuff like that.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

10-18-2010, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
It says 80万~130万 as an example. (80万=about 8 grand US... I don't know how long ago they're talking about though so it could be a different story).
It says 80万~130万 per 坪, not the entire basement. 坪 means "3.3 square meters".

Note: I only read that part of your post, so I don't mean to say that is the only part that you misinterpreted. 

Last edited by Sashimister : 10-18-2010 at 04:32 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-18-2010, 04:37 AM

I'm sure I misinterpreted a lot of it! I appreciate your correction though.

I thought 80万 was extermely cheap hahaha. I just glossed over it so I didn't notice the "坪", which was obviously a key part. So if you multiply that by at least 5 or so (does that sound right?) then you might get a decent idea of what it could cost for a basement in Japan (back in the day according to this site at least). I get the feeling that it would probably cost at least 500万 for a usable basement in Japan.

By the way, Sashimister, if I may ask, what are your feelings on this topic? I've never really heard of basements in Japan either. Do you know if there's a reason for that?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

10-18-2010, 04:47 AM

i have never been in a house that does NOT have a basement (at least in my country).