JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Living in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/)
-   -   Me and my girlfriend moving HELP!!! (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/35240-me-my-girlfriend-moving-help.html)

joshlad14 12-18-2010 07:26 PM

Me and my girlfriend moving HELP!!!

Hi

i am a student at uni and im about you get my Ba honors dagree, but im a little worried because i am about to propose to my girlfriend and i hope to marry her but i also want to live in japan and teach english. heres the problem she doesnt have a degree and she doesnt have the money to afford to get one ether. is there a certain visa she can obtain to come with me to japan and like not work. because i love her and i dont want to have to choose between my dream girl and my dream life.

all help is appreciated

from josh

SHAD0W 12-18-2010 07:51 PM

Wow. I can't believe you're considering choosing between your wife and your job. You obviously don't love her as much as you say man.

joshlad14 12-18-2010 07:57 PM

she is my girlfriend at the moment but like i said i dont want to choose so that is why im asking for help

MMM 12-19-2010 01:23 AM

There is nothing wrong with planning for the future. He is trying to not have to choose one over the other.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend marriage before you are established and can support a family on your own.

That being said, I believe if you are married your spouse can get a spouse visa and your wife can live there.

It is important to keep in mind that many schools that hire English teachers have single or studio apartments pre-rented for the teachers, or some have single sex dormitories, so that may limit your options in that respect.

Also, talk with her about this. Living in a foreign country can be one of the most stressful experiences of one's life, especially if one is not in love with the country and cannot speak the language. Not necessarily recommended for newlyweds.

joshlad14 12-19-2010 05:15 PM

thank you so much i understand what you are saying and the idea with the spouse visa is good idea. luckily she has been learning japanese and really loves the country, i think i will have a conversation with the japanese embasy this week to see what my options are and that this problem has been eating at us for a while. i think i might ask her to live with me first so we can see if we can actually live together with out being at eachothers throats.

SHAD0W 12-19-2010 05:38 PM

Good luck with that. The honeymoon period lasts about 2 weeks but the true test takes about 6 months lol.

RickOShay 12-19-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 842418)
There is nothing wrong with planning for the future. He is trying to not have to choose one over the other.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend marriage before you are established and can support a family on your own.

That being said, I believe if you are married your spouse can get a spouse visa and your wife can live there.

It is important to keep in mind that many schools that hire English teachers have single or studio apartments pre-rented for the teachers, or some have single sex dormitories, so that may limit your options in that respect.

Also, talk with her about this. Living in a foreign country can be one of the most stressful experiences of one's life, especially if one is not in love with the country and cannot speak the language. Not necessarily recommended for newlyweds.

MMM I believe you mean to say "dependent visa". One partner needs to be a Japanese national to get a spouse visa.

MMM 12-19-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHAD0W (Post 842575)
Good luck with that. The honeymoon period lasts about 2 weeks but the true test takes about 6 months lol.

I didn't know you were married.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickOShay (Post 842590)
MMM I believe you mean to say "dependent visa". One partner needs to be a Japanese national to get a spouse visa.

Fair enough. The embassy will be a good source of help.

blimp 12-20-2010 02:01 AM

if you are not a japanese citizen or have a P.R your spouse will unfortunately only be able to get a dependent visa through you. she may still theoretically be able to get a work visa herself, although based on what you written i would say that seems difficult. the exception might be if you can get a visa based upon japanese heritage. that visa status i don't know too well.

as a dependent i believe you are still able to work, however only 28h a month and for this you need an extra permit.

Ronin4hire 12-20-2010 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 842418)

Marriage is a piece of paper and can mean many things to many people as well as means to an end.

To the OP I would say that unless you are uber conservative. Just marry her for the convenience. It will make things a lot easier.