JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
Paying US bill with Japanese PO account - 01-02-2011, 07:16 AM

Sorry for making this thread, but seems my post in the other one was going unnoticed. I was wondering how I can transfer money from my Japanese Post Office Account to my American count. I finally have a bill that I plan on making that will need to get paid. The easiest way is to just pay the bill through my American account since it'll be an American bill. Any ideas or what I should ask at the Post Office? Any suggestions?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-02-2011, 07:26 AM

I changed the title of the thread so it would be more clear.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

01-02-2011, 09:17 AM

You can remit the amount necessary to your own U.S. bank account through the Japanese post office for a fee of 2,500 yen. Bring your Japanese ID. (I'd bring a few just in case.)

With the exception of CitiBank, where the fee is 2,000 yen, the fees charged by major Japanese banks for the same service are much higher, making using the post office a pretty smart choice.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-02-2011, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the information. How do I ask this in Japanese, though? Other things I can figure out, but seems when it comes to stuff of this nature (such as bill paying), I have trouble communicating since I have a tough time figuring out how I want to word it.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

01-02-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Thanks for the information. How do I ask this in Japanese, though? Other things I can figure out, but seems when it comes to stuff of this nature (such as bill paying), I have trouble communicating since I have a tough time figuring out how I want to word it.
Just say to a clerk:

「国際送金(こくさいそうきん)をお願いしたいのです が。」

and you will be given a bilingual form to fill in that will look like:
国際送金書類の書き方と注意 | 国際送金・海外送金の方法と手順

I forgot to mention the name stamp when I said to bring your ID in my last post.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

01-19-2011, 02:26 PM

Sorry for bumping this, but another question just popped into mind. About how long does it usually take for the transfer to go through? Is the average amount of time about three to four business days or something equivalent to that?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

01-19-2011, 02:40 PM

4 to 6 days according to the official website.

http://www.jp-bank.japanpost.jp/koji...kg_sk_usa.html
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

01-19-2011, 04:02 PM

Go to Shinsei Bank and open an account, there is no fee and no minimum deposit. Then open a Paypal account linked to your Shinsei account, and open a second Paypal account. Then you can send payments to yourself to or from America.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

01-20-2011, 04:58 AM

Thank you for the information.

Sangetsu: Since I already have the PO account and have for a good long while now, it'd be easier to just do transfers through that, at the moment. Thanks for the info, though. I'd considered it early on, but the PO was closer to me. I pretty much walk every place. I'm pretty sure I have seen a Shinsei bank before, though.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

01-21-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Thank you for the information.

Sangetsu: Since I already have the PO account and have for a good long while now, it'd be easier to just do transfers through that, at the moment. Thanks for the info, though. I'd considered it early on, but the PO was closer to me. I pretty much walk every place. I'm pretty sure I have seen a Shinsei bank before, though.
The post office charges a lot for a transfer. You can open a Shinsei account online, and you can navigate their site in English. Also, Shinsei accounts can be accessed through any 7-11 Combini ATM for free, 24 hours a day. Post office ATMs usually close at 5 or 9 (depending on their location). Another bad thing about JP Bank is that setting up online banking is difficult, and there is no English support.