JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Otariman (Offline)
New to JF

Interac Random Drug Testing - 08-17-2011, 10:25 AM

So, I've been legally smoking medicinal marijuana for years, but I've since quit to move to Japan. I absolutely will not touch the stuff while in Japan, so that is no concern. However, Interac's guidelines state that I may receive a random drug test during my employment term.

Has anyone else (any other smoker) gone through Interac after quitting and been okay? I know the stuff isn't out of my system yet, and I don't know whether or not they'll actually test me, if they'll test as soon as orientation, etc. I do know that I will have a health check towards the end of orientation, and it will include a UA...

It seems like they'd lose A LOT of time, money, and contracts if they tested people after they arrived; so I am doubting it... Also, most forums seem to agree that dispatch companies don't test at all... Furthermore, it'd be a bit silly not to employ someone due to an "illegal" drug that has been legally and medicinally prescribed in their home state...

I don't need any of the "You're a druggie; don't come to Japan" comments... I'm not even close. I used medicinally, and I obviously love Japan enough to quit... So help and experiences would be much appreciated... Thanks in advance!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-17-2011, 11:15 AM

I do not have any experience with the company, so cannot comment on their policies...
However, I will give my opinion (which doesn`t mean all that much, but may be better than nothing!)

As far as I know, the drug doesn`t linger in your system for THAT long.

But let us say that they DO test you in the very beginning. If you have been using the drug legally, you should have proof of this ready and on hand to present to them. There are a number of drugs that can come up on a test that have legal uses - they are worried about illegal drug use, and illegal drug use while you are in Japan and working for them.

Present proof that you were legally using the drug, and then ask for a retest after a month to show that you have not used the drug illegally, and that you are not using the drug at all in Japan. It isn`t the fact that you have used a drug, legal or illegal, in the past that they will be concerned about. It will be whether you are doing anything illegal that could reflect badly on them while you are working for them.

I believe that these drug tests have a lot to do with some major scandals involving English teachers in Japan being arrested buying illegal drugs... And the following backlash toward the schools who were legally responsible for them while they were in Japan. If you are not using anything illegally and have no plans to do anything illegal while in Japan - you should be in the clear.

Just out of curiosity though - you say you are going to stop use. How do you plan on dealing with the symptoms that got you a prescription to begin with?

ETA; In mod mode here - your other thread was indeed similar enough to this one to be removed. You are very unlikely to get different people viewing your posts based upon section. This board isn`t that massively large that a poll would make sense.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 08-17-2011 at 11:18 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

08-17-2011, 11:25 AM

Nyororin. just because he has a prescription doesn't mean ha has an illness. especially if he is from California where 90% of legal users don't have the need for it medicinally. basically anyone who wants can get their hands on a card that allows them to smoke weed.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

08-17-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
Nyororin. just because he has a prescription doesn't mean ha has an illness. especially if he is from California where 90% of legal users don't have the need for it medicinally. basically anyone who wants can get their hands on a card that allows them to smoke weed.
It was my understanding that you have to have some sort of symptom to get the prescription - whether it is connected to an actual illness or not.

My point is - either he has some symptoms he was treating... Or he abused the symptom in some way so doesn`t quite have the right to say he is not a druggie, etc.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-17-2011, 12:04 PM

Do they test your hair for drugs? I've heard that's one way to catch people unaware, since, from what I've heard, the THC stays in your hair longer than in your system. I guess a haircut would be in order!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

08-17-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
Do they test your hair for drugs? I've heard that's one way to catch people unaware, since, from what I've heard, the THC stays in your hair longer than in your system. I guess a haircut would be in order!
That is where the legality bit comes in. I don`t really think they are going to care about what he did legally before coming to Japan. What they will care about is his actions while he is in Japan, especially as they will be responsible for him as his visa sponsor.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-17-2011, 01:02 PM

Obviously the OP doesn't need if for medical reasons, after all, he said he "isn't going to touch the stuff" while he is in Japan.

Marijuana stays in your system much longer than other substances. You would need a hair cut and to be clean for at least several weeks before a test. You might also expect the tester to have a sense of humor and take a hair sample from your leg, armpit, or chest, rather than from your head.

On the other hand, "random" generally means "almost never", and the few people I know from Interac have never been tested.

While in the Army, I worked for a time at the FDTF, and their testing methods are quite thorough. If you have used drugs at any time in your life, they will find out. There has been talk of using their methods more widely, and private companies have expressed interest, but who knows when it will happen.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

08-17-2011, 02:12 PM

you can't tell if someone has ever used drugs since no human in this world is actually older than 10 years - cycle in which your body has fully regenerated/replaced all the cells with new ones.
so doesn't matter what magic testing the military might have - if you used some in high school and now you are a grown up, then don't worry.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Otariman (Offline)
New to JF

08-17-2011, 09:38 PM

Thank you for your respsonses:

Nyororin, I will bring my documentation as you suggested. Thank you. I just hope you're right about their beliefs! And Evanny is right, but in my case, I have been prescribed insomnia and anti-anxiety meds far before I looked to prescription marijuana.

Sangetsu, I've been to Japan before, and it is hard. But with all the stuff I'm learning and doing every second, I don't notice these issues as much. A lot of people stop taking meds at some point, even highly potent and addictive meds, so please don't be so ignorant as to assume that someone doesn't need something because it is illegal in their new country. There are PLENTY of antidepressants, mood stabilizers, anti-psychotics, etc. that are illegal in Japan. Do you think these people don't need them because they found out they couldn't get them in Japan? For me it's more of a choice of sleeping well at night or living in the place I love. Anyways, thanks for your input on the "random" part; I mostly agree.

@Sangetsu and John, Lol at hair tests; I highly doubt that as they are uncommon, unreliable (compared to urine), and pricey.

Last edited by Otariman : 08-17-2011 at 09:50 PM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ACGalaga (Offline)
New to JF

08-18-2011, 06:50 AM

Interac doing drug tests?

You sure it wasn't a normal health check where they make you pee in a cup? If that's the case, they're usually not testing for that stuff (so I hear).

All the best, man!

Check out my comics @ ACGalaga.com