JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Hitode (Offline)
New to JF

Question Teaching English in Japan - 11-21-2011, 05:10 AM

Hi all! I am a senior in high school and greatly interested in teaching English in Japan; in fact, I would like that to be my career. I've already done a bit of research, but am not sure whether or not I can truly spend the majority of my life living in Japan or whether a work-visa will not allow me to stay there that long.
--Can I live in Japan on a work-visa (as opposed to just working over there for like 5 years) without expatriating myself!?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-21-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitode View Post

Hi all! I am a senior in high school and greatly interested in teaching English in Japan; in fact, I would like that to be my career. I've already done a bit of research, but am not sure whether or not I can truly spend the majority of my life living in Japan or whether a work-visa will not allow me to stay there that long.
--Can I live in Japan on a work-visa (as opposed to just working over there for like 5 years) without expatriating myself!?
short answer, yes.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Hitode (Offline)
New to JF

11-21-2011, 03:06 PM

Thank you Columbine :1
(#4 (permalink))
Old
vikkaboo (Offline)
New to JF

11-21-2011, 03:12 PM

I'm a sophomore in high school, but I'm graduating early next year I'm going to Japan as an exchange student my "senior" year. Like you, I have really thought about being an English teacher in Japan.

I was thinking about becoming a business major (my mom really wants me to get an MBA) but I was thinking about just getting a BBA and then getting a job in Japan. The reason I want to get a BBA is so I have something to fall back on in case being an English teacher doesn't work out. Besides, you usually have to have a university degree, right?

Check out this channel- meaphe's Channel - YouTube
She's actually in Japan right now as an English teacher, and she blogs about it everyday. Some of the stuff is kind of boring, but she seems really happy about teaching and living in Japan. I forget what program she's with, though.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Hitode (Offline)
New to JF

01-04-2012, 04:35 AM

Thank you Vikkaboo ^_^ I'd love to check out that YouTube blog. And I know what you mean about having a career you want to pursue because you love it, and a career you want to pursue to have a secure fall back. I deal with some a the same