(#11 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
06-30-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidreptile View Post
Really??That's absurd,I mean,if people want to smoke,go ahead I don't think that smoking should be forbidden like it is in Wales,for example,but there should be always place to non-smokers.
the government over here make a HUGE slice of their earnings through cigarrettes... they will never do anything which might make people want to give up (or avoid starting)
(#12 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

07-01-2007, 01:38 AM

Second hand smoke (as in sitting in a smoky restaurant) is just as likely to cause cancer, heart disease and other respiratory problems as actually smoking the cigarrette youself. That is the reason smoking in public places is quickly become a thing of the past across Europe and in the States. Also second hand smoke has been linked to the development of asthma in children. Banning smoking in public places is not for the health of the smoker but rather all the non-smokers and especially children. Protecting its people and their children is the one of the responsibilities of government.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

07-01-2007, 01:46 AM

Oh and the thing about taxes, Japan collects a very large tax on the consumption of alcohol. In fact producing your own alcohol is illegal because of the issue of tax.

I had a discussion last week with some of my students (adults, not the junior high kids) about making Ume-shu. This is the plum flavored liquor/sake. You are allowed to make your own Ume-shu at home because to do so you simply add shochu (potatoe based liquor) that you buy from the store. However I asked if they could make a home made schnapps as well like adding a little sugar and yeast to a bunch of peaches and letting it ferment. They said no, that would be illegal because you are producing the alcohol and not paying the tax for it whereas buying shochu the tax is being paid.

Then we started talking about moonshine made in the US and how if you add it to your gas tank you'll get better gas mileage. Followed by an enlightening discussion of the different grades of Nihon-shu (what the rest of the world calls sake), and how it is not classified as liquor while shochu is but some Nihon-shu's are just as strong as some shochu's.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
gaijzilla (Offline)
JF Regular

07-01-2007, 12:37 PM

The attitude towards drinking is really different here than a lot of places I've been. It's perfectly legal to drink on the street. There are alcohol vending machines in easily accesible public places. And... you're supposed to drink with the people you work with. This does't sound nearly as weird as it actually is. You're not just catching drinks with friendly colleagues after work. There are actually designated drinking parties (All You Can Drink!) that you're expected to go to and get wasted with your coworkers. This includes your boss. In fact, your boss will probably be the drunkest one there. In my case, my boss is the principal of a school.
This might sound cool, but I just can't get myself to relax and enjoy it. I'm still under the influence of the cultural rule that you're never supposed to be intoxicated in front of your coworkers and supervisors.

True confessions of a small town blonde beauty, sent deep into the heart of Japan to school wild children. Witness her lonely descent into MADNESS and DESPAIR!

www.gaijzilla.com
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
07-01-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
smoking in public places is quickly become a thing of the past across Europe and in the States.
Looks like Spain is not following the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijzilla
There are actually designated drinking parties (All You Can Drink!) that you're expected to go to and get wasted with your coworkers. This includes your boss.
Take pics then blackmail him!! xD

I heard something similar happens in the States when you turn 21, that very day your dad takes you to a pub and pays for as much alcohol as you want to, just imagine! There've been people dying that day from drinking too much.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

07-01-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaksokuDa View Post
Haha, 21, that's ages to wait to be able to buy booze legally.
Thank god we're Northern European, 18~!
Yeah but they can legally drive at 16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachava
In vending machines, about 300yen I think (I don't smoke so may be wrong however...)
I'd forgotten about that.

How many euros/dollars is 300yen?

Last edited by Suki : 07-01-2007 at 04:45 PM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-01-2007, 10:57 PM

300 yen is 2.43668 USD.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

07-01-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaksokuDa View Post
On the wrong side of the road. (our is 17)
You are the ones who drive on the wrong side of the road, you and the aussies, I think?

I thought your was 18 as well!! So not fair! =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostBlade
300 yen is 2.43668 USD.
You mean a pack of 10 or 20?

Last edited by Suki : 07-01-2007 at 11:03 PM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

07-01-2007, 11:43 PM

20 cigs in a pack

Anyone who actually drinks on their 21st birthday has most likely started when they were at least 18. First time I had alcohol was when I was 12 which is not that uncommon in the States. At least not among the friends I had there. From age 17 though, I started partying every weekend and didn't stop until I was....

Hmm, guess I never really stopped.

Last edited by jasonbvr : 07-01-2007 at 11:48 PM.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-02-2007, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
You are the ones who drive on the wrong side of the road, you and the aussies, I think?
Japan drives on the same side as the UK and Australia. :P

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.