JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Excessum (Offline)
Way too serious

Send a message via MSN to Excessum Send a message via Skype™ to Excessum
Alcoholism in Japan? - 06-30-2007, 10:56 AM

I was digging in different Japan news reports when i found one regarding alcohol consumption in Japan, I didn't thought that it's such a big deal there, but when i found statistics (2003) i was shocked... ~60% of all businessman/salesman goes to drink in the local pub, standing bar or cafe after the work... almost every day. I guess that's the way how they try to keep their stress levels down, but considering the fact that the same year (2003) information collected from doctors across the Japan showed that there were over 3 million alcoholics, it doesn't look as just stress-killing alone.
It is hard for me to judge as i haven't been in Japan and i have never seen a drunk japanese businessman being pushed in a taxi, so that's why i am referring to those ones who are living in japan: how bad is it actually? and what measures do the government take to battle this threat to society?

(#2 (permalink))
Old
Acidreptile (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-30-2007, 11:10 AM

Wow I tought only Brazillian and irish people drink that much!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

06-30-2007, 11:42 AM

Threat to society? There's nothing wrong with having a beer or two after work. *lifts living giving, liquid gold Kirin classic to lips and sips the delicious nectar of the gods* Its not like you can go driving around after having a drink so its not as dangerous as say the US. *thinks to self, not like the cops ever stop me*

To answer your question, no. Nothing is being done to curb alcohol consumption. Sometimes, your job and/or promotion depends on you going out and drinking with coworkers and superiors. It is not exactly like these guys are laying out of work hammered all day. I'll bet a lot of work related discussion that normally wouldn't take place happens after hours.

If Japan really wanted to do something for public health, they should focus on the tobacco first.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Acidreptile (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-30-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
Threat to society? There's nothing wrong with having a beer or two after work. *lifts living giving, liquid gold Kirin classic to lips and sips the delicious nectar of the gods* Its not like you can go driving around after having a drink so its not as dangerous as say the US. *thinks to self, not like the cops ever stop me*

To answer your question, no. Nothing is being done to curb alcohol consumption. Sometimes, your job and/or promotion depends on you going out and drinking with coworkers and superiors. It is not exactly like these guys are laying out of work hammered all day. I'll bet a lot of work related discussion that normally wouldn't take place happens after hours.

If Japan really wanted to do something for public health, they should focus on the tobacco first.
Why?People smoke too much there?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

06-30-2007, 11:50 AM

Yes, far more than they drink. Cigarrettes are really cheap and many restaurants and bars are smoker friendly as in sometimes there is no non'smoking section.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Acidreptile (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-30-2007, 11:54 AM

Really??That's absurd,I mean,if people want to smoke,go ahead I don't think that smoking should be forbidden like it is in Wales,for example,but there should be always place to non-smokers.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Excessum (Offline)
Way too serious

Send a message via MSN to Excessum Send a message via Skype™ to Excessum
06-30-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaksokuDa View Post
That's a lot?
Isn't it? Can you imagine... at the end of the business day bars ar full of them... that's kind-of strange...

(#8 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
06-30-2007, 01:35 PM

tbh, people over here don't seem to drink anywhere near as much as they do back home (England)...
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
06-30-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excessum View Post
there were over 3 million alcoholics
God, that's the whole BCN population O.O I didn't think Japanese men were partying people, they always look so serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr
Cigarrettes are really cheap
How much is a pack?

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#10 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
06-30-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
How much is a pack?

In vending machines, about 300yen I think (I don't smoke so may be wrong however...)