JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old
TalesOfCCV (Offline)
New to JF

07-13-2009, 12:13 AM

I have a few questions (okay, "a few" would be putting it lightly...).

I'm 15 years old from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I'm about to start grade 10.

I would eventually like to live in Japan. Maybe for a year, maybe for more. I'm not sure yet. But what I know for sure is that I really want to live there for at least a year. So regarding that I have questions.

In no order whatsoever:

-How long would the plane ride be? I have a family member who flew directly to Tokyo (I think) from Chicago. He told me it took him around 14-15 hours. So from here...maybe 16-17?

-I'll probably be going there before I finish my education. To check out the area beforehand. I wouldn't want to go there without knowing anything about the area. Maybe in some exchange program. Are there any companies or something outside of the schools I would go to would give me a similar opppurtunity? (for work,etc.)

-How would I be able to work there? Would the conditions vary depending on which country I'm in? Would I have to ask my government? Also, would I have to acquire citezenship before being allowed to work there? If so, I've heard that it's a long process...

-Would you be able to recommend a good job that I'd be able to acquire in the Tokyo area? I'd like something with not too many years of studying, but at the same time have a decent pay. I'm aware that I wouldn't be able to get something paying over $70,000. So maybe between $30,000 - $50,000 if possible. I was thinking teaching maybe? And I also know that the Tokyo area is very expensive but I'm not really interested in any other region of Japan. If what I want isn't possible I'd rethink the area. (Can you recommend anything?)

And ya...that's about it . Sorry if some, or all of these questions have been asked before. I just don't feel like reading through 105 pages or so of posts.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited by TalesOfCCV : 07-13-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-13-2009, 12:41 AM

Read this thread, it should answer some questions.

I Don't Want to Live in Japan
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-13-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalesOfCCV View Post
-How long would the plane ride be? I have a family member who flew directly to Tokyo (I think) from Chicago. He told me it took him around 14-15 hours. So from here...maybe 16-17?
It takes an 8~9 hour flight for me to get from Japan to Chicago or Detroit. I find 15 hours from Chicago quite odd if there were no stops along the way... Unless it was quite a long time ago (it was 13 hours for me to fly from Detroit to Japan in 1998...) These days I`d say it would be safe to say less than 10 hours of flying - but more total time if you don`t fly direct.

Quote:
-I'll probably be going there before I finish my education. To check out the area beforehand. I wouldn't want to go there without knowing anything about the area. Maybe in some exchange program. Are there any companies or something outside of the schools I would go to would give me a similar opppurtunity? (for work,etc.)
The opportunity for education is probably only going to be found with a school...? I am not exactly sure what you are asking. There are countless exchange programs and language schools that you could attend for varying amounts of time. But do not count on being able to do ANY type of work at all until you have graduated from university.

Quote:
-How would I be able to work there? Would the conditions vary depending on which country I'm in? Would I have to ask my government? Also, would I have to acquire citezenship before being allowed to work there? If so, I've heard that it's a long process...
It does depend on the country you are from - without a degree you could feasibly work for a limited period of time on a working holiday visa. You should be eligible for it if you are from Canada. Japan is one country, so it doesn`t matter what part of Japan you are in.
I suppose we can say that you would have to receive permission from the Japanese government. And no, citizenship is not a requirement. Only a valid visa that allows you to work.

Quote:
-Would you be able to recommend a good job that I'd be able to acquire in the Tokyo area? I'd like something with not too many years of studying, but at the same time have a decent pay. I'm aware that I wouldn't be able to get something paying over $70,000. So maybe between $30,000 - $50,000 if possible. I was thinking teaching maybe?
Good luck! Little study and high pay - what a dream. :P
Teaching is probably your only real option no matter what, but don`t expect anything over 30,000. With the economic situation, I`ve been hearing more and more that they are starting out teachers at 20,000 or below and squeezing through loopholes by considering "support" and the like all part of payment... And after taxes, that is a very very small amount. It`s almost guaranteed to be lower than average if you`re on a working holiday as there is no need for the employer to worry about providing the amounts set by the visa...

Quote:
And I also know that the Tokyo area is very expensive but I'm not really interested in any other region of Japan. If what I want isn't possible I'd rethink the area. (Can you recommend anything?)
Why, exactly, are you only interested in Tokyo? If it`s simply because it`s the only place you know about or have heard of... *sigh*

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-13-2009, 07:06 AM

He's 15. He has at at least 7 years before search for a job in Japan is even realistic.
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-13-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
He's 15. He has at at least 7 years before search for a job in Japan is even realistic.
3, technically, as he is from Canada and eligible for the working holiday. Not to say that anyone would hire him at that age, but...
He does state he wants to visit the country while still in school. I`m sure if he manages that then things will become a bit more realistic.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
Old
blo55om (Offline)
New to JF

07-13-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyo_9 View Post
what kind of jobs are you preferring to do?
if you have no problems in japanese language communication, then I guess you can work anywhere in Japan.. but, for the visa problem.. sadly to say that I have no experience about this..
thanks kyo
I still looking for any jobs there actually.
I could apply for the visa but still tourism visa & validate only for 90 days only so its could be a bit difficult for me to find jobs with tourism visa.
Old
TalesOfCCV (Offline)
New to JF

07-13-2009, 04:29 PM

Well thanks for answering my questions and crushing my uneducated hope....

I guess being the country's capital, Tokyo just drew me in. Well what would be a good area or prefecture to live in? I just wouldn't want something too rural.
Old
nick149 (Offline)
New to JF

07-19-2009, 01:50 AM

hey guys how u doin?i m from greece but i want to live in japan...(this december i turn 16)
I know that u guys said it a lot of times but i have some questions if it doesnt bother u!!! so here they are...
what exactly do i need for the citizenship-residency exept the 5+ years staying?
how can i live for 5+ years and then apply for residency-citizenship?
how good japanese do i have to know to live there?

thats all i can i think for now!!!
please give me some answers it means everything to me
thnx
Old
nick149 (Offline)
New to JF

07-19-2009, 01:59 AM

i am asking Nyororin but every reply is good
Old
LiTtLeNeKoSeMpAi (Offline)
New to JF

07-19-2009, 02:02 AM

HII!! emmm... i have a question, how hard is to learn japanese?