JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#491 (permalink))
Old
Enkidu22 (Offline)
JF Regular

12-05-2007, 05:45 PM

Ok then, you are right. But I seriously doubt that somebody who is just visiting USA for a short time would go to a court or write complains. Of course it's different when you live there.

Also from what I know they have right to open your luggage without your permision or presence in the USA.
(#492 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

12-05-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu22 View Post
Ok then, you are right. But I seriously doubt that somebody who is just visiting USA for a short time would go to a court or write complains. Of course it's different when you live there.

Also from what I know they have right to open your luggage without your permision or presence in the USA.
I can't speak for america as i've never been and don't really know how bad the airport security is... but for europe they definately don't have the right unless they have arrested you!!

As for the visiting, I would still complain. Afterall, the police have more rights than the security guys!!! This is what i done in london. The police interfered, and even i didn't complain at the time, complaining on my return was enough to get the guy fired!!!
(#493 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-05-2007, 06:31 PM

I sent a complaint postcard.

Do you really think they even read it? Let alone actually get back to me or do anything about it...? Hahahahaha

Anyway, I was only able to get one of their names, and she was the only decent person during the entire ordeal. She went and picked my son up and gave him back to me. After they finished strip searching him, they just plopped him on the floor, naked, outside the booth. She saw me on the verge of tears as people almost stepped on him as they rushed through the security check.

Seriously, the US "security" check thing is awful. They could care less about someone`s rights. They`re not going to get in trouble for it.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#494 (permalink))
Old
Enkidu22 (Offline)
JF Regular

12-05-2007, 06:40 PM

And to think many americans call japanese people racists and xenophobes becouse of airport fingerprinting! I guess people who say such things never had to go throught US airport checks.

Last edited by Enkidu22 : 12-05-2007 at 06:42 PM.
(#495 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

12-05-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu22 View Post
And to think many americans call japanese people racists and xenophobes becouse of airport fingerprinting! I guess people who say such things never had to go throught US airport checks.
Well, just because the US experience was monumentally more horrible - it doesn`t mean that I *approve* of Japan changing their immigration policies. I feel like I expect better from Japan.

But, then again, as long as it`s not as bad as visiting the US as a *citizen*, things still aren`t THAT bad.

The thing that is inherently wrong with the Japanese system isn`t that they`re fingerprinting. It`s that they`re doing it to long term residents. If you have been approved for a long term visa - you shouldn`t have to go through that crap every time you enter the country. They should have you on record.

ETA: Something that really irritates me though is when a US citizen starts bashing Japan up and down, calling them xenophobic and racist.... But they don`t have a single word to say about the US doing 10 times worse - and to citizens at that!

Last edited by Nyororin : 12-05-2007 at 06:49 PM.
(#496 (permalink))
Old
LawlietsGirl (Offline)
JF Regular

oh wow - 12-05-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Just thought I`d volunteer any info that anyone needs...

I live in Japan, not in Tokyo, and have lived here for almost 9 years now. I basically came to Japan with nothing (On my own, not part of any program, not as a teacher, with almost no money, etc) when I was 17, and have been here pretty much ever since.

I`m now married, and *own* a home. I`m willing to answer pretty much any questions about real life in Japan - not the English teacher in Tokyo type stuff... Because that`s only like 0.1% of reality. (Not to offend any of the English teachers in Tokyo or anything though.)

We usually try and help other people who are/were in the same boat as I was when I came to Japan (Bad family life, etc), but last year a girl we let stay with us really screwed us over so we have stopped for the time being. But I really want to help people, so if I can in any way please ask!

(Oh, and I think I mentioned a lot more stuff in my intro in the introductions thread, so...)
i'm nearly 17 now, but i wanna move to japan after i graduate! that's so cool!
(#497 (permalink))
Old
adama (Offline)
JF Regular

12-06-2007, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Oh, and never been turned down by a realtor. Ever.
I have. What's your point?

Quote:
Not everyone likes to wallow in a puddle of "I`m a gaijin! I have it so hard!!"
Wow. Bothered to read the rest of my post, did you?
"My family is here, and for all the BS I have to put up with, I'm more at peace here than I was in my home country."
Quote:
(Like strip searching my baby....)
I was really sorry to read about that and what you and your family was put through.

Quote:
...when a US citizen starts bashing Japan up and down, calling them xenophobic and racist.... But they don`t have a single word to say about the US doing 10 times worse - and to citizens at that!
Not sure if you're referring back to me, but I don't bash Japan up and down -- but as I said, it's far from the anime-land paradise a lot of people seem to think it is, and there's nothing wrong with pointing out as such. If you think criticism is "bashing," that's your problem.

Oh, and Japanese policies toward foreigners do skew toward xenophobic and racist. And what the U.S. is doing is 10 times worse. Why do you think I don't live there anymore?
(#498 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

12-06-2007, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adama View Post
Wow. Bothered to read the rest of my post, did you?
"My family is here, and for all the BS I have to put up with, I'm more at peace here than I was in my home country."
I did read your post, and that is what 99% of anyone who lives in Japan says in follow to complaints. Like a "Well, I won`t burn my bridges!" after comment. If you really meant it, great. Most people don`t. I apologize.

Quote:
Not sure if you're referring back to me, but I don't bash Japan up and down -- but as I said, it's far from the anime-land paradise a lot of people seem to think it is, and there's nothing wrong with pointing out as such. If you think criticism is "bashing," that's your problem.
I wasn`t referring to you at all in that. Just in general. If you do a little search on the responses of people to the immigration changes, you`ll find thousands of examples. Japan is xenophobic for instituting such a thing, while the US is somehow okay to do worse. Because, they`re the US, not Japan! In Japan it equals racism, but in the US it`s something totally different. It drives me crazy.

If you would read my comments prior to this one, you`d notice that I`m one of the few voices of reality on here. Do a search, or even wade back through this thread.

Quote:
Oh, and Japanese policies toward foreigners do skew toward xenophobic and racist.
I never commented on whether Japanese policy was xenophobic or racist. Just that it didn`t sit well with me that people will forgive (or at least not complain much about) the US doing worse, while screaming (figuratively) at the top of their lungs about Japanese policy.

Quote:
And what the U.S. is doing is 10 times worse. Why do you think I don't live there anymore?
Same here. Which is why I much prefer living in Japan, doing those "backward" things you pointed out.

(#499 (permalink))
Old
adama (Offline)
JF Regular

12-06-2007, 04:44 AM

Thank you, and I apologize for coming in and blasting my own opinion without having gone through all of this thread first. But yes, while I will readily complain about stuff that bugs me about Japan, at the end of the day I really darn like it here. We’ve back-and-forthed between the U.S. and Japan for several years, and have just watched things get uglier and uglier over there (sorry if that offends anyone…), to the point where roots were planted here with no intention of returning. And as a parent with a small child myself, I was appalled to read about what happened to you. I can’t even imagine what I would’ve done.
(#500 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-06-2007, 05:56 AM

Since 9/11 any protest to anything done for the sake of "national security" is basically cosidered anti-American and treason. It's like the Red Scare of the 1950s. It's very creepy and frightening, and am seriously considering joining you guys. Home, work and visa are no problem, and every day it seems like a better idea.