JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Tokyo Photo Walk 1, intro - 01-31-2011, 02:43 AM

After living in Japan for nearly 4 years, I have accumulated a lot of photos. I love photography, and it is a hobby which motivates me to go out and see the city and it's surroundings. I thought I would post a few threads of photo walks I have taken over the past year. I will try to limit each series to those photos from a single place on a single day. I'll start with summer around Asakusa, and the Shitamachi Matsuri, which I attended last summer. Asakusa is one of Tokyo's oldest districts, and though many tourists visit the Sensoji and the huge shopping area which surrounds it, few people venture into the neighborhoods further beyond.

For those who may be interested, all shots were taken using a Leica M6 and Summicron 50/2 lens using Kodak Tri-X 400 film.

Last edited by Sangetsu : 01-31-2011 at 02:46 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

01-31-2011, 10:33 AM

Those are beautiful photos! They look like they can be from now or many, many years ago! What gives it away is the construction level of TST!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

01-31-2011, 11:02 AM

loving these photographs. can you give any information about the festival dancers-- and that chap with the towel over his head and those youngsters enjoying their Ice Cream? maybe? it looks really hot.

Also those buildings-- that strange sort of carrotty object atop a sort of circular object. The skyline looks really odd. It would be good to know what those buildings are.

I also love to see the expressions on peoples faces.

Great Pics. thank you.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

01-31-2011, 11:14 AM

Great photos, but I unfortunately think you lost some of the spirit with the black and white. Matsuri is a time for colorful festivities, a contrast to the city scape. It'd be like shooting the vibrance of Chinatown in black and white. Other than that, some really cool pictures.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#5 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

01-31-2011, 11:17 AM

I can understand your reason Wings for preferring Colour especially with the dance display but B&W also has something to tell us. Not distracted by colour- B&W for me has its attractions also.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

01-31-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I can understand your reason Wings for preferring Colour especially with the dance display but B&W also has something to tell us. Not distracted by colour- B&W for me has its attractions also.
Don't get me wrong; I do my fair share of shooting in black and white. And sometimes it can isolate and bring to light an object by removing the color. But in my opinion, something like the color of the matsuri should be distracting.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

01-31-2011, 11:32 AM

maybe sangetsu does have colour pics of that.

There was a time when photos had to be hand coloured-- so we are fortunate that now it is so easy to take coloured photographs.

I believe that you have shown us many coloured pics of your time there in Japan which are also appreciated.

Maybe I am being sentimental. Much can be left to the imagination with B&W.

I still wish I could find a good dvd of Japan the country but they seem few and far between, Or too expensive. maybe someone here can guide me to such a dvd?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

01-31-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Also those buildings-- that strange sort of carrotty object atop a sort of circular object. The skyline looks really odd. It would be good to know what those buildings are.

That building is the Asahi Super Dry Hall or Azumabashi Hall....Asahi Beer Hall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The tower under construction is the Tokyo Sky Tree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which will be sending the digital television signal for Tokyo. Tokyo Tower sends the analog signal which is being phased out.... It will be the second tallest structure in the world when completed

Last edited by JohnBraden : 01-31-2011 at 02:38 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

01-31-2011, 11:37 AM

HI John thanks for that. Absolutely fascinating.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

01-31-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
maybe sangetsu does have colour pics of that.
I didn't say he didn't. I just said his photos were nice and just added my own constructive criticism as a fellow photographer. I openly link my photos on here as you know and anyone can give me their honest opinion on those if they wish. It's how we grow.