JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
CarleyGee (Offline)
staring at awkward legs

Send a message via AIM to CarleyGee Send a message via MSN to CarleyGee
08-17-2008, 02:09 PM

Circumsicion gives me the chills, but I'm sure it has to be good for something : D

Help my Cause for homeless teens!
http://www.socialvibe.com/CarleyGee

R.I.P Johnny
3-31-09

http://www.formspring.me/CarleyRenee17
Ask me any question
(#22 (permalink))
Old
ShintoCanadianmale (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-17-2008, 04:43 PM

the U.S is the only western, industrialized nation where male infants are expected to be circumcised.

crunchyroll.com
(#23 (permalink))
Old
ShintoCanadianmale (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-17-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunkenShip View Post
Without wanting to turn this into a big debate thread, the health "benefits" are all outweighed by the rate of complications.
then explain why the U.S has the highest STD/HIV rates than the rest of the developed nations that don't circumcised male infants?

crunchyroll.com
(#24 (permalink))
Old
imiss (Offline)
Metrosexual Narcissist

08-17-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShintoCanadianmale View Post
then explain why the U.S has the highest STD/HIV rates than the rest of the developed nations that don't circumcised male infants?
Don't tell me you believe that stupid rumor...

SDTs don't "live" under the foreskin, nor does removing it somehow decrease the chances of getting them.

But lets say for example that silly rumor is true, lets say for example they magically live under it. Whats the problem with washing your genitals each time you go to shower? Its just like washing/wiping your butthole, if you don't wash it, of course its gonna be covered in crap...

Oops, misread what you said --- anyways, my point still stands, just not directed at you anymore..
(#25 (permalink))
Old
SunkenShip (Offline)
New to JF

08-17-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShintoCanadianmale View Post
Uh, I agree with you so I'm not sure where you're coming from. I think you misread my post....
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-17-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Without wanting to turn this into a big debate thread, the health "benefits" are all outweighed by the rate of complications.
This is completely true, but you will find countless people who offer up all sorts of information to support their beliefs... And to support the fact that it was done to them, so can`t be "bad".

I live in Japan - my son is "circumcised", or at least appears to be. Not by choice, but because he was born without the bottom 2/3rds of his penis (think just the top section of skin, as a sort of flap over a urethral opening sunken down between his testes), and in order to construct one they used what little foreskin was there.
But somehow I doubt that counts as circumcision, as it wasn`t like we chopped the thing off and tossed it.

Experiences - Circumcision is NOT something on anyone`s mind in Japan. It`s rare enough that no one will even assume that it has been done if they see a baby/child who has been. The assumption will be made that it`s an abnormally "adult" looking penis. End of story.

You`re more likely to find shock that you would do something so incredibly painful to a baby than anything else. When, for medical reasons, a circumcision needs to be performed (such as abnormal adhesion of the foreskin to the tip of the penis, etc) it is usually done at elementary school age.
There is pretty much no chance of having anyone comment on not having your son circumcised.

As another note - I`m not sure of your parenting "style", but having mucked around on a few US parenting boards and having been shocked by some of the things I found there.... Japan is generally a co-sleeping, "attachment" style when it comes to parenting.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
allie2590 (Offline)
I am the White Testament

08-18-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
When I changed my son in front of a friend of my spouse's, she gasped and asked me when I would be getting him cut. When I replied: NEVER, she was disgusted and proceeded to tell me how it's gross to be uncut.
It's none of her business, though, and she has no right to say stuff like that. If she wants to get her son done (if she has one or is planning on having one) that's fine, but she shouldn't be judging other people.

I personally don't think it should be done unless it needs to be for health reason, but each to their own.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-18-2008, 01:15 AM

I don't see anything wrong with having your kid circumcised. IMO, it seems like it'd be easier to keep clean or whatever (to prevent a possible infection, if one does occur, hopefully not), and it also seems like it'd be neater, but, whatever you decide shouldn't be anyone's business but your own. No one needs to know if your kid has been circumcised or not, unless you parade your kid around for all to see.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-18-2008, 02:44 AM

Quote:
I think I said that in my first post on this thread.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-18-2008, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imiss View Post
Don't tell me you believe that stupid rumor...

SDTs don't "live" under the foreskin, nor does removing it somehow decrease the chances of getting them.

But lets say for example that silly rumor is true, lets say for example they magically live under it. Whats the problem with washing your genitals each time you go to shower? Its just like washing/wiping your butthole, if you don't wash it, of course its gonna be covered in crap...

Oops, misread what you said --- anyways, my point still stands, just not directed at you anymore..
Wrong. there's a reason they are still inventing methods to do the job quickly in Africa to stop the spread. Are you telling me that germs don't propigate under the fingernails?