JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

05-20-2010, 11:18 PM

I haven't made a final decision as to what I'm doing yet, and I never intended to do this immediately. I was far more concerned with whether it was even possible or allowed when I made the thread.

I have applied for a certain position, and if I get it, I will be leaving Japan, and will not be able to care for a child. If I do not get it, I plan to seek my Japanese teaching license (I have investigated the process, mapped it out, and have the support of my BoE) and apply for permanent residency. In that case, I will further investigate the plausibility of adopting a child.

At the moment, I am financially secure enough to provide for a child. The issue is whether or not I have the time to be a single parent. I do not yet know the answer to that question, and won't likely know until I have a position that is contractually more secure than the one I currently have. I predict not to have an answer on yes or no for another three years.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#42 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

05-26-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
I haven't made a final decision as to what I'm doing yet, and I never intended to do this immediately. I was far more concerned with whether it was even possible or allowed when I made the thread.
TBH, I don't quite see how you can raise an adopted child in Japan when you yourself dont like so many aspects of Japanese culture as it's obvious from your new thread.

I mean, how do you even want the child to grow up? Like a happy, regular Japanese kid in your town or an unhappy, complaining "foreign" kid just like you? If your kid grows up to be like you, s/he is going to have nothing but problems at school, too, which is funny when the daddy or mommy is a school teacher. S/He is not going like what is taught there. No schools in Japan teach kids to be good Texans. It would be extremely tough for the kid to have to live by those double standards.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

05-27-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
TBH, I don't quite see how you can raise an adopted child in Japan when you yourself dont like so many aspects of Japanese culture as it's obvious from your new thread.
This is an unsound assumption. Your claim about what is "obvious" is flawed.

I would say I like more about Japan than I do about the United States, in general. So you're suggesting that shouldn't raise a child in the US because there are parts of American "culture" I don't like?

There's no Tsuwabukistan where everything is as I would like it. By your logic I could never have a child anywhere if there are a few things I don't like about that place. That's pretty ridiculous.

Quote:
I mean, how do you even want the child to grow up? Like a happy, regular Japanese kid in your town or an unhappy, complaining "foreign" kid just like you? If your kid grows up to be like you, s/he is going to have nothing but problems at school, too, which is funny when the daddy or mommy is a school teacher.
Uhm. I am neither unhappy nor generally complaining in Japan. I like Japan. I am happier here than I have ever been anywhere. I don't spend my every waking moment on JapanForum (or elsewhere) complaining about how much I hate Japan.

Quite the opposite, I spend a lot of time telling my friends how much they're missing! I've even convinced a few to come visit.

I don't have "nothing but problems" in my daily life. What I mentioned elsewhere are really very minor inconveniences. That was the whole point of the thread. In the last few years I have had exactly six "bad" days. I spend most of my day cheerful and content.

I am, however, quite cerebral, and I like a good discussion. There is no need to "presume facts not in evidence" about my state of mind.

Quote:
S/He is not going like what is taught there. No schools in Japan teach kids to be good Texans. It would be extremely tough for the kid to have to live by those double standards.
Do you realise how silly you sound? This is a hypothetical child, in a hypothetical situation, with a skewed understanding of my daily life, and a failure to understand the multitude of cultures and traditions in Texas.

What exactly is a "good Texan?" Is it a good "Vidoran" or a good "Austinite?" Because I can assure you those two Texans may agree on how awesome Texas is, and will disagree on just about everything else.

You think someone from Odessa is going to have the same view of morality as someone from Montross, Houston? Or that an African-American from Fifth Ward is going to have the same political beliefs as a Mexican-American from Brownsville or a Caucasian-American from Ft. Davis?

If I were you, I would ask more questions. Your assumptions about a variety of topics seem uninformed.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#44 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-21-2010, 11:54 AM

It is interesting to read about adoption in JAPAn usually being within the family.

I wonder if that is the NORM.
Adoption is a very big issue indeed and not to be taken on lightly.

The child should always be the first consideration above anything else. One has to ask oneself WHY one wants to adopt a child?

I know many adoptees and birth mothers who have many problems what about fostering a child that needs a loving home> DO the Japanese have a fostering system for children who have not parents or parents cannot care for themselves.

One has to think seriously of WHY? is it for the adopters benefit or the childs?
(#45 (permalink))
Old
MikeB (Offline)
JF Regular

07-21-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post

I mean, how do you even want the child to grow up? Like a happy, regular Japanese kid in your town or an unhappy, complaining "foreign" kid just like you? If your kid grows up to be like you, s/he is going to have nothing but problems at school, too, which is funny when the daddy or mommy is a school teacher. S/He is not going like what is taught there. No schools in Japan teach kids to be good Texans. It would be extremely tough for the kid to have to live by those double standards.
Has anyone else recieved abusive personal messages from this chap? I've just done a search of his past posts and seems to be quite right wing and very confrontational, to say the least! I suppose the right wing part is of course fine, provided it's expressed in a decent way.

Last edited by MikeB : 07-21-2010 at 05:42 PM.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
diego187 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to diego187
07-21-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Has anyone else recieved abusive personal messages from this chap? I've just done a search of his past posts and seems to be quite right wing and very confrontational, to say the least! I suppose the right wing part is of course fine, provided it's expressed in a decent way.
Just ignore him dude, don't give him your time.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
MikeB (Offline)
JF Regular

07-21-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego187 View Post
Just ignore him dude, don't give him your time.
Ahhh, I see, cheers mate...