JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Relationship Talk (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/relationship-talk/)
-   -   Inter-racial attraction (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/relationship-talk/10275-inter-racial-attraction.html)

interracialintimacies 12-05-2007 06:14 AM

Inter-racial attraction

Hello Everyone,

I am a PhD candidate in Sociology at a University in Tokyo, researching inter-racial desire and the politics that sometimes comes with it. I am presently looking to interview many people about this topic. Specifically, I am interested in people who feel attraction mainly/exclusively toward Japanese/Asian men/women if they are non-Japanese/Asian, or visa versa. Secondly, I am interested in interviewing people who have thoughts or opinions on this dynamic of attraction.

You may think your case or thoughts are not interesting but I am looking for typical and exceptional people, so don't worry! If you enjoy talking about these things, let's meet and I will even buy you a coffee or a drink :) Any inquires are also welcome.

Cheers,
Jamie

Suki 12-05-2007 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by interracialintimacies
let's meet and I will even buy you a coffee or a drink

Ah then you're only looking for people who are in Tokyo? Anyway, I'm up to be interviewed online if that'll do.

LILTRINA 12-05-2007 09:53 PM

me too!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by interracialintimacies (Post 317976)
Hello Everyone,

let's meet and I will even buy you a coffee or a drink :)
C

im not in tokyo either. but i would also like to be interviewed too!! :vsign:

clairebear 12-05-2007 09:56 PM

Why do people treat interracial attraction as a special, different thing to just normal attraction? o_O

forgotenmemory 12-05-2007 10:11 PM

Uh, this is weird.

Yuna7780 12-06-2007 12:01 AM

It'd be interesting to do, but I'd prefer an online interview.

Crelrn 12-06-2007 12:41 AM

All you have to do is watch a little movie called Yellow-Fever :D

MazarDantechildofdevil 12-13-2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clairebear (Post 318534)
Why do people treat interracial attraction as a special, different thing to just normal attraction? o_O

That's a good question... I think it could be answered by alot of special thought... Maybe on human beings moral issues along time ago still affect us till this day... And personally I don't think it's a problem because if I met a person in Japan and they were good looking (Girls) I would... Totally... Well do what a guy does...

QuoyaNatsume 12-13-2007 02:47 PM

Sorry double posted.

QuoyaNatsume 12-13-2007 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MazarDantechildofdevil (Post 324851)
if I met a person in Japan and they were good looking (Girls) I would... Totally... Well do what a guy does...

Yea & what would that be.......trying to score!! O_o *psst* guy's:rolleyes:

I agree with you Claire it's just like any other relationship....between 2 ppl, 2 Human Beings, so why is it a "special" attraction???

NanteNa 12-13-2007 04:59 PM

Gah! XD They're hot. What can I say?

shoujobeat 12-13-2007 07:32 PM

Ever since my my first crush, hmm..I think I was 6 years old was on an aisan boy and my current crush is a japanese guy at my school:lovecat: **the only one out of 2000 students**. All the boys I ever liked were either Chinese, vitenimese, koren, and Japanese. It werid but I love east asian people*espeacially the guys* even tho I'm an african by birth, if my parents found out about that they'll might kill me but oh well.

QuoyaNatsume 12-13-2007 07:35 PM

Ok you say African by birth, meaning that you are not African skin wise but African country wise, right?? :confused:

kunitokotachi 12-13-2007 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by interracialintimacies (Post 317976)
Hello Everyone,

I am a PhD candidate in Sociology at a University in Tokyo, researching inter-racial desire and the politics that sometimes comes with it. I am presently looking to interview many people about this topic.
You may think your case or thoughts are not interesting but I am looking for typical and exceptional people, so don't worry!
Cheers,
Jamie

I think this could end up being interesting research. You said your methodology was to conduct interviews but what about also doing surveys? Also have you already decided how you intend to code the information? I'm a little curious. Finally, I hope you find enough people to participate. Many people may think that their case is not interesting but sometimes in research "nothing" can actually be something.

Ito 12-13-2007 08:28 PM

i think this thread is foolish.. some like whites some like asians and soo onn..
we do all have our own tastes in whats sexy same goes with personality..

kunitokotachi 12-13-2007 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ito (Post 325127)
i think this thread is foolish.. some like whites some like asians and soo onn..
we do all have our own tastes in whats sexy same goes with personality..

I don't think it's foolish and you wouldn't think this study was foolish if you understood what goes into research. Inter is a candidate for a doctorate in sociology and that is a huge accomplishment. Inter's major of study deals with human interactions and behavior to some extent and interracial interactions obviously struck an interest. The research that will conducted has the potential to become peer-reviewed material. Any individual who has been to an accredited university will know that the reading of peer-reviewed research is usually mandatory. Let's say you wanted to research "why people commit crimes." You need somewhere to start. You can use an inductive method by observing subjects and using empirical validity to form a theory or make generalization. Another way would be to use the deductive method and look at established theories like the "Social Learning Theory," "Routine Activity Theory," etc. Because of these types of peer-reviewed studies we learn more about people, the way we socialize, and in some cases the reason why turn out the way we did.

Ito 12-13-2007 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kunitokotachi (Post 325164)
I don't think it's foolish and you wouldn't think this study was foolish if you understood what goes into research. Inter is a candidate for a doctorate in sociology and that is a huge accomplishment. Inter's major of study deals with human interactions and behavior to some extent and interracial interactions obviously struck an interest. The research that will conducted has the potential to become peer-reviewed material. Any individual who has been to an accredited university will know that the reading of peer-reviewed research is usually mandatory. Let's say you wanted to research "why people commit crimes." You need somewhere to start. You can use an inductive method by observing subjects and using empirical validity to form a theory or make generalization. Another way would be to use the deductive method and look at established theories like the "Social Learning Theory," "Routine Activity Theory," etc. Because of these types of peer-reviewed studies we learn more about people, the way we socialize, and in some cases the reason why turn out the way we did.

i still things it crazy, becouse people can change what they like.. i have been together with diffrent races. here in sweden many do not care about skin colour that mutch.. i have gone from liking american culture too liking latin culture to liking japanise culture.. why people commit crimes it easy --- they have a hard life and cant support themself without doing crimes or it is something wrong with there braines.

kunitokotachi 12-13-2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ito (Post 325171)
i still things it crazy, becouse people can change what they like.. i have been together with diffrent races. here in sweden many do not care about skin colour that mutch.. i have gone from liking american culture too liking latin culture to liking japanise culture.. why people commit crimes it easy --- they have a hard life and cant support themself without doing crimes or it is something wrong with there braines.

In research we try to look for patterns to gain a better understanding. In the case of interracial interactions there are a number of characteristics that can be attributed to this: looks, culture, popularity, trend, beliefs, etc. Inter will end measuring all of the variables and report some type of findings. Adding demographics to the research allows us to see what types of individuals are have an inclination to engage in interracial relationships.

As for why people commit crime, it is not such an easy question. You only listed one element of crime which is the type of crime committed for financial reasons. However, what about crimes that are not financially motivated like rape, murder, molestation, arson, vandalism, etc. Believe me I graduated with a B.A. in criminal justice; crime is not that easy to understand, analyze, or measure. But what is the reason for studying crime? Well, research allows us to develop crime prevention techniques, allocate resources better, create better community policing programs, measure crime occurances, understanding victimization better and so on and so on. This is the same for research in any other field.

Zer0 12-13-2007 09:53 PM

Sounds like your going to rape us anyways im amercain and like asian girls

asukiitar 12-13-2007 10:01 PM

sounds interesing..i like "studyng" diferent kinds of mind....and YES i have to admit,i think japanese guys are CUUUUTE:rheart: i have never had a crush on a black ,white,or whatever boy...
only japanese look
n_n

kunitokotachi 12-13-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zer0 (Post 325228)
Sounds like your going to rape us anyways im amercain and like asian girls

What in the world are you talking about? Who sounds like they are going to rape who?

Zer0 12-13-2007 10:35 PM

Quote:

Ill buy you a drink or cofee or somthing
Thats creppy

kunitokotachi 12-13-2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zer0 (Post 325251)
Thats creppy

lol, I guess it could sound a little creepy.

Ichigo2013 12-13-2007 10:56 PM

Indeed! I would love to go out with a Japanese girl but why would you consider that "special"? By calling a inter-racial relationship "special" you are technically being racist and stereotyping certain people for their partners and racial desires. DON'T CALL IT SPECIAL! You might cause a fracas with the wrong person and become defunct! VOCAB USAGE! Ok whatever. Just don't call it "special" or I might get ninja on your ass!

forgotenmemory 12-13-2007 10:59 PM

These threads kinda annoy me. An interracial relationship is the same as any other relationship!

Ichigo2013 12-13-2007 11:02 PM

Exactly!!!

forgotenmemory 12-13-2007 11:08 PM

hehe thank you! ^_^

kunitokotachi 12-14-2007 12:07 AM

People, I agree that all of the other threads discussing interracial relationships are annoying. However, this one is claiming to do research. If you want to participate in the research then by all means do so but don't bad mouth someone trying to do an academic study. Apparently Inter needs to conduct this research in order to obtain a doctorate degree. In no way was this thread "typical." It's hard enough as it is to get people to participate in these types of things. I'm not sure when Inter's deadline for this study is but I'm sure he or she will very much appreciate your assistance.

Anyways, Inter congrats on your academic success. People with Masters and Doctorates end up becoming college professors, researchers, or in some type of administrative position.

QuoyaNatsume 12-14-2007 12:26 AM

pip pip I agree, Kudos to you Inter:vsign:

shoujobeat 12-14-2007 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuoyaNatsume (Post 325076)
Ok you say African by birth, meaning that you are not African skin wise but African country wise, right?? :confused:

Opps I meant that I am African skin wise because my parents are from Somlia, but I was born in Canada.

Acidreptile 12-14-2007 08:06 PM

Another thread about interracial relationships?:rolleyes:

Silly people race does not really matters.:vsign:

NatsuNatsu 12-14-2007 08:13 PM

You can only do interviews?

lol

Nicknick 12-21-2007 11:48 AM

It is an interesting issue, even if it is talked about all the time, and too much :)

It may be interesting to put this in in a study and formalise it.

But, only if the study recognises that a great % of the time, it is not about race.

i.e. people can be attracted to people, maybe one happens to be white, one happens to be asian.

If they realise this and state it, they can then study the other side:

i.e. some people ARE specifically attracted to some types.

I like all types, but I am attracted to asian girls. I don't exactly why, but they do seem more exotic, interesting, and I just like the look - liking a look is not a conscious decision.

I can see the charm of Japanese girls because they are:

- polite
- highly civilised
- interested to learn about the outside world
- very very cute
- great-looking

kyo_9 12-21-2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicknick (Post 332796)
It is an interesting issue, even if it is talked about all the time, and too much :)

It may be interesting to put this in in a study and formalise it.

But, only if the study recognises that a great % of the time, it is not about race.

i.e. people can be attracted to people, maybe one happens to be white, one happens to be asian.

If they realise this and state it, they can then study the other side:

i.e. some people ARE specifically attracted to some types.

I like all types, but I am attracted to asian girls. I don't exactly why, but they do seem more exotic, interesting, and I just like the look - liking a look is not a conscious decision.

- polite
- highly civilised
- very very cute
- great-looking

damn.. we are in the same channel dude!
:ywave:

ryochonan1 12-21-2007 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyo_9 (Post 332845)
damn.. we are in the same channel dude!
:ywave:

So am I, probably everyone on here is.

Nicknick 12-24-2007 04:29 PM

Yep, probably. God bless Japanese women :):rheart:

Ronin4hire 01-02-2008 10:12 AM

Quote:

- polite
- highly civilised
- very very cute
- great-looking

There are so many things wrong with this statement.

Japan "fanboys" like you annoy me. I mean I am interested in Japan and want to broader my horizons by learning another language. But I find it a bit strange when people almost worship the country and put the people and place on a high pedestal.

Retrogamer77 01-02-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin4hire (Post 343940)
There are so many things wrong with this statement.

Japan "fanboys" like you annoy me. I mean I am interested in Japan and want to broader my horizons by learning another language. But I find it a bit strange when people almost worship the country and put the people and place on a high pedestal.

Um...he likes Japanese girls. So what? It's just his taste in women. I like all kinds of guys. (German guys are amaaaaaaazing!:rheart: ) What's the problem?

MMM 01-02-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

- polite
- highly civilised
- very very cute
- great-looking

I agree with Ronin4hire. This is such a stereotype, and although sounds positive, is a little demeaning in an underhanded way.

1) Polite. Everyone is polite to people they don't know. Do you mean subservient?

2) Highly civilised? What does that mean? They don't eat with their hands?

3) Some people are interested in learning about the "outside world", but trust me, there are plenty of Japanese girls that don't want anything to do with foreigners.

4) very very cute? What...like Hello Kitty?

5) great-looking...an attempt to justify the cute statement.

I don't care if someone has a Japanese woman fetish, but let's not pretend it's something different than what it is.

rachelsweet 01-02-2008 11:52 AM

I don't' even want to try to understand. xD