LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-09-2008, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
How do you even meet a 16 year old and start dating her?

It's quite easy actually. I once met a woman in a night club who turned out to be only 15. It was an over 18 club, and she told me she was 19. I was carded at the club each time I went in, so I assumed she was telling me the truth. Several weeks passed before I finally found out her real age.
(#52 (permalink))
Old
Arikado (Offline)
Elegant Rocker

Send a message via AIM to Arikado Send a message via MSN to Arikado
12-09-2008, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
In the 1920s grown men were not encouraged to pursue 16 year old girls. Know what the average age of marriage for women in the US was in 1900? 22. For men it was 25.

So if you want to look back a couple thousand years, yes women were married at 12 and 13, but in a society where the life expectancy is under 40 years old, this makes more sense.

Regardless, it doesn't negate the fact that 16-year-olds are not yet fully mature, physically or emotionally.

When the question is "Should I have sex with a 16 year old girl?" the safe answer is always "No!"
Young girls marrying older men dates less than a couple of centuries ago. It was customary for girls, even as young as 12 and 13 to be married to a middle aged man, as he would be experienced enough to take care of her and have a steady income.

Member of the Metal Club
"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star" -孔夫子
(#53 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
12-09-2008, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arikado View Post
Young girls marrying older men dates less than a couple of centuries ago. It was customary for girls, even as young as 12 and 13 to be married to a middle aged man, as he would be experienced enough to take care of her and have a steady income.
Key word there.

Amazing what 200+ years will do to a given culture.

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-09-2008, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Does that still seem like a good idea to you today?
(#55 (permalink))
Old
Arikado (Offline)
Elegant Rocker

Send a message via AIM to Arikado Send a message via MSN to Arikado
12-09-2008, 05:07 AM

Whoa whoa guys, I was stating a fact. Did it look like I was trying to make a point? I was just correcting your facts, that's all.

Member of the Metal Club
"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star" -孔夫子
(#56 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-09-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Whoa whoa guys, I was stating a fact. Did it look like I was trying to make a point? I was just correcting your facts, that's all.
Of course it looked like you were trying to make a point.
(#57 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

12-09-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Simply put, a 16-year-old is still developing both physically and mentally, and that is part of the reason why there are laws in effect to protect not-fully mature individuals from adults that would take advantage of them.

You can say love is blind, and knows no age. That is fine, but how many of you here well over the age of 16 are still with the person you loved when you were 16?

As the brain and body mature, things change. Lots of girls regret not waiting until they were at least 18 before giving up their virginity, if only because the boy they thought they loved lost interest after she allowed him to sleep with her.

No matter how you look at it, there is no scenario where an older foreign man sleeping with a 16-year-old Japanese girl is a good idea.
I'm just nitpicking as I agree with your sentiment... I mean boundaries have to be set to protect minors in my opinion also.

However in some countries the age of consent is 16 (like here in New Zealand) so I don't think 18 is some magic number nor do I believe 16 year olds are completely unable to make an informed decision on sex.

In saying that though the boundary Japanese society has set is 18 and as a guest to Japan the OP would do well to respect that boundary.
(#58 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-09-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I'm just nitpicking as I agree with your sentiment... I mean boundaries have to be set to protect minors in my opinion also.

However in some countries the age of consent is 16 (like here in New Zealand) so I don't think 18 is some magic number nor do I believe 16 year olds are completely unable to make an informed decision on sex.

In saying that though the boundary Japanese society has set is 18 and as a guest to Japan the OP would do well to respect that boundary.
The law is only a part of what I was trying to say.

People can say "age is just a number" but if 16-year-olds are ready for sex, does that mean so are 14-year-olds? 12-year-olds? Do I need to keep going lower?

We KNOW that 16-year-olds are not fully mature individuals, physically and mentally. Research shows the completion of puberty at somewhere between 18 and 21 for the most part.

I will ask again. If you are over the age of 22, tell me honestly if you are still with the girl or boy you "loved" when you were 16. My educated guess would tell me that almost none of those relationships stood the test of time. Why? Because bodies are still changing. The brain is still growing. Hormones are flaring...the whole classic speech.
(#59 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

12-09-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
The law is only a part of what I was trying to say.

People can say "age is just a number" but if 16-year-olds are ready for sex, does that mean so are 14-year-olds? 12-year-olds? Do I need to keep going lower?

We KNOW that 16-year-olds are not fully mature individuals, physically and mentally. Research shows the completion of puberty at somewhere between 18 and 21 for the most part.

I will ask again. If you are over the age of 22, tell me honestly if you are still with the girl or boy you "loved" when you were 16. My educated guess would tell me that almost none of those relationships stood the test of time. Why? Because bodies are still changing. The brain is still growing. Hormones are flaring...the whole classic speech.
You can't really go to much lower than 16 in my opinion (I think the lowest I heard about was in Denmark where it's apparently 15).

I hear what you're saying but there is another side to why we have the law at the age it is.

The idea is that while a boundary is needed to protect young girls from predatory men... one is also needed to protect full grown men from "hormone flaring" young girls.

A 16 year old actively seeking sex can appear fully developed and lie about her age to get what she wants.

Very few 14 year olds appear fully developed.

As for my 16 year old love life... Hehe... I dated a girl who I thought I was in love with sure.. but I dated women when I was 19, 24, and 26 who I thought I was in love with too.

Why are my 16 year old feelings not valid yet my 19, 24 and 26 year old ones are?

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 12-09-2008 at 06:31 AM.
(#60 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-09-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
You can't really go to much lower than 16 in my opinion (I think the lowest I heard about was in Denmark where it's apparently 15).

I hear what you're saying but there is another side to why we have the law at the age it is.

The idea is that while a boundary is needed to protect young girls from predatory men... one is also needed to protect full grown men from "hormone flaring" young girls.

A 16 year old actively seeking sex can appear fully developed and lie about her age to get what she wants.

Very few 14 year olds appear fully developed.
You are totally correct here. Though with make-up and nice clothes and almost any girl can look 18. The laws are there to protect teens from themselves, too...
Closed Thread