LinkBack Thread Tools
(#91 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

12-13-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
My opinion is that there are many observations of Japanese society that contradict each other and that the chances of reaching a complete consensus on anything apart from the most general phenomena is zero.

From where I'm sitting there are probably elements in your and MMM's observations that are valid. Perhaps some of the conclusions you've both come to though could need some reevaluating. But again.. I don't know.

I went to uni in Japan and to me it seemed career was important to women as much as it was for men.

Not one woman I met planned to be a housewife.

Whether that represents or says anything about Japanese society.. I wouldn't know.
It's interesting you should say that, through teach English I meet a variety of people of all age groups, and mostly women, and the only thing they really have in common is their interest for English.
But I noticed the same thing you did, and I'll elaborate on it.
Younger women in junior high seem to want to be house wives and have kids,
Then in high school they start to want to make money and stuff,
Then in uni/college they almost all want to be workers and think the housewife thing is no good for them
Then after a few years working, they almost all go back to their junior high school ideals lol
I could go on stereotyping as age increases, but that's about right for the topic

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#92 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-13-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
It's interesting you should say that, through teach English I meet a variety of people of all age groups, and mostly women, and the only thing they really have in common is their interest for English.
But I noticed the same thing you did, and I'll elaborate on it.
Younger women in junior high seem to want to be house wives and have kids,
Then in high school they start to want to make money and stuff,
Then in uni/college they almost all want to be workers and think the housewife thing is no good for them
Then after a few years working, they almost all go back to their junior high school ideals lol
I could go on stereotyping as age increases, but that's about right for the topic
OK.. perhaps you might have a point.

Is that really a Japanese thing though?

Growing up in New Zealand I would say the pattern is the same.
(#93 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

12-13-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
OK.. perhaps you might have a point.

Is that really a Japanese thing though?

Growing up in New Zealand I would say the pattern is the same.
yeah lol it might be an internationally true behaviour, more so in some countries... and depending on the economy / which tv drama is popular / what their parents don't want them to do / which way the wind blows

a good representation of indecisiveness

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#94 (permalink))
Old
missprincess (Offline)
Bonnie lass from England

12-13-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
now a days it's not as popular among the younger generation as it was a decade ago.
hmm i agree, i dont see the pull for waking up at 6 or 7 in the morning going out to work, coming back home, at like 7 or 8 or even 5 then taking care of the kids, house, cooking and husband (coz u still have to do that even if ur a working woman coz who the hell else will- and u dont want some stupid nanny in ur house for sure!) thats just not appealing to me AT ALL! i dont think i need to prove the point the women can go and work in a mans world, im a trainee lawyer but after i get married its family ALL THE WAY! my husbands gonna be the one busting his hump at work so i can sleep in and spend his money hehe thats much smarter IMO

Don't make someone a priority....... if your nothing more than an option to them

How can the world end at 2012 when my yogurt expires in 2013?
(#95 (permalink))
Old
inuzuki8605 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to inuzuki8605 Send a message via Skype™ to inuzuki8605
12-13-2010, 03:12 PM

Missprincess you are too funny. But although that does sound like the sweet life, some families are starting to change that a little. I knew a Japanese family that housed three generations and everyone worked except for the youngest son, who was studying for his entrance exams and the grandfather who had retired but helped out a lot around the house (even cooked on occasion). The mother and father both had a full time jobs (although the father had longer hours for sure), and even the grandma had a part time job. It was normal for them to all work. This was the same for another friend of mine as well, both mother and father working (but the mother seemed to have more hours).

They did it because after a while of being in the house, they couldn't stand it anymore... Also, their husbands’ money had to be used for mainly the support of the house, bills, mortgage, food, support of the younger children and of course giving the husband his allowance. There wasn't much money left to spend on themselves so they worked to get their own spending change that they could only spend on themselves and there husbands didn't have a problem with that at all. (Actually, they might have liked it because that meant they got bigger allowance haha)

I'm not sure about girls wanting to be house wives after being out in the work force, but it does make sense. All the college girls I met though had big dreams of working for a company and making their own money. But that is much easier dreamed than accomplished. I wish I could be a housewife right about now. haha

A New Face
(#96 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

12-14-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missprincess View Post
hmm i agree, i dont see the pull for waking up at 6 or 7 in the morning going out to work, coming back home, at like 7 or 8 or even 5 then taking care of the kids, house, cooking and husband (coz u still have to do that even if ur a working woman coz who the hell else will
Except for the nanny part (oh god I want a hot nanny cleaning my place every day so much... one day...) anyways except for that part you are basically on the dime. That's exactly how it goes down most of the time over here, working women get little to no slack on their house responsibilities. But they do get to use all their income for shopping or whatever they want, no bills responsibility.

Like inuzuki said, some families are starting to get modern with men doing more work around the house etc, but by and large this isn't the case here.

(#97 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

12-14-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missprincess View Post
i dont think men contributing to housework is modern its actually very old depending where ur from and ur culture etc, but id rather be slightly less well off and be able to hang out with other housewife friends, and do what i want all day (not necessarily stay in the house coz being a house wife doesnt mean ur locked in the house) then go to work and bust my hump just so i can afford a nicer handbag - dunno, if thats modernism id rather be old fashioned!
I agree! I guess I meant modern in Japan. ><

I wanna be a stay at home dad!

(#98 (permalink))
Old
StonerPenguin (Offline)
loves bein' gross ಥ‿

01-06-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesparker View Post
Some Asian men likes Asian Women but that doesn't happen always.So I visited to understand Asian guys psychology some dating site and I got perfect answer from asian dating coach Asian guys likes some Western guys also and They want dating with him.
Asian guys are into white guys? Fascinating!
hahaha
(#99 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-06-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesparker View Post
Some Asian men likes Asian Women but that doesn't happen always.So I visited to understand Asian guys psychology some dating site and I got perfect answer from asian dating coach Asian guys likes some Western guys also and They want dating with him.
Interesting way to slip in your link.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#100 (permalink))
Old
rio09 (Offline)
JF Regular

04-19-2011, 11:51 AM

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHh.,..........

I'm asian and i like all races...from white to black...

at first when i was experimenting, i didn't think about ethnicity nor religious.

But now .. i go for japs.. that's why i'm here on this forum... LOL