JapanForum.com  

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#71 (permalink))
Old
clairebear (Offline)

06-07-2008, 09:17 PM

Huh, what a world....things like terrorism, STD's and religion are made fun of on tv shows + movies etc, but when a bunch of girls use the word 'rape' in relation with jrockers/their JF friends everyone gets pissed and offended.
This word is used by lots of girls allllll over the internet on allll different forums and websites and no one expressed any problem with it on here until recently..sigh.
Saying "humps ______" just sounds silly IMO. 'Rape' for us has a completely different meaning....

whatever, I'm half asleep and not up for an arguement or 'debate'.....
(#72 (permalink))
Old
koaku (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-07-2008, 09:28 PM

I already read that....cant remember when.......or where..........

I Honestly, seriously and truly.....don't care about U
(#73 (permalink))
Old
zachary (Offline)
New to JF

06-08-2008, 12:42 AM

I dont like how it's used either, but just some things, 1. yes I do casually use the word, and 2. freedom of speech

Maybe it should be toned down though

rape, incest, cp, murder, etc etc are all bad things to do, VERY, but saying them is just words
though i would never knowingly mention any of those words to anyone that has ever gone through any of those horrible things

Last edited by zachary : 06-08-2008 at 01:54 AM.
(#74 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

06-08-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneDoll View Post
oh oki .. I`m also offended by Tyrien`s "no one likes me /wrists."
that`s just insensitive towards suicide [as I interpret it .. because after all this whole topic about rape is about interpretation heh?] it`s just the same as this lovely pic:

that`s just cruel you beast ... cruel I tell you.

awwwwww but deary .. please refrain yourself from using that word again in the future. that`s mean and you`re being inconsiderate towards homosexuality. what if a homosexual comes around and is deeply butt-hurt about your freely use of that word?

and I`m not picking on you ... I`m just making a statement <3, even though I`m barking at the wrong tree :|
Since text (not to mention the nature of this thread and the general community on JF) makes it hard to detect sarcasm, if my title legitimately bothers you then PM me and I'll change it.

It's not a mock against suicide. I placed that there when I fist joined JF and it seemed like a large group of people were "against" me. A way of saying "I don't care if you don't like me.". Kinda forgot about it after a few months.

But that's not what this topic is about right now. Soooo no need to go off topic.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.

Last edited by Tyrien : 06-08-2008 at 02:37 AM.
(#75 (permalink))
Old
EveV (Offline)
Flee from hate.

Send a message via MSN to EveV Send a message via Yahoo to EveV
06-08-2008, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairebear View Post
Huh, what a world....things like terrorism, STD's and religion are made fun of on tv shows + movies etc, but when a bunch of girls use the word 'rape' in relation with jrockers/their JF friends everyone gets pissed and offended.
You can't talk to the t.v and tell it to stop.
Honestly Claire, learn about sympathy or at least about someone other then yourself.
All of your post have been " it's no big deal"
Obviously it is because .. and let me make this bold so you read it this time....
Because rape is a big deal, no matter how it's meant.

Quote:
This word is used by lots of girls allllll over the internet on allll different forums and websites and no one expressed any problem with it on here until recently..sigh.
That's those websites and those forums.

Quote:
Saying "humps ______" just sounds silly IMO. 'Rape' for us has a completely different meaning....
But it doesn't for anyone who's been raped.

Quote:
whatever, I'm half asleep and not up for an arguement or 'debate'.....
Why did you bother posting then?
<<

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
(#76 (permalink))
Old
Motoko (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Motoko Send a message via Yahoo to Motoko
06-08-2008, 04:13 AM

I hate when people talk about how they are gonna rape someone. A few people in my family have been raped and it tore them up. So people should stop and think before they speak cause someone could get really mad and do something bad to them.

"SPREAD LOVE LIKE VIOLANCE"

Last edited by Motoko : 06-08-2008 at 04:19 AM.
(#77 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
06-08-2008, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary View Post
I dont like how it's used either, but just some things, 1. yes I do casually use the word, and 2. freedom of speech
With freedoms comes responsibilities and a duty to respect the rights of others so that they will respect yours. Using rape for any discussion other than as the crime it is, is not only irresponsible, but it denies the right of people to use this forum in an environment free of hostility. Rape is hostile in every way, shape, and form in the real world and this forum generally reflect the real world not some under-age fantasy land that some people here seem to live in.

And for someone to continue being flippant about it after being told in clear terms the impact it is having on others is rude, insensitive, and becoming hostile. Other users have been banned from this forum for less offensive postings than some of us regard this practice to be (as would 90% of mature, intelligent people), but all we are asking is that another, less offensive word be used.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#78 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
06-08-2008, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koaku View Post
So explain? What are you guys wanna do "against" tht? I understand what you want to do but i don't know how? We're not gonna check everyone post to know if it was a joke or if it was true ..

If you dont wanna ban this word..

Sorry it took a while to get back to your point Koaku.
I do not want the word banned. Or any other word for that matter.
Bans only solve symptoms, not the problem.
What I am asking for is that those who have recklessly adopted this perverse use of the word rape, reconsider the effect it has on other people and how it reflects on their own image that they are presenting.
I am asking that they refrain from it out of consideration for those it offends and common sense that it is a really inane and childish fad.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#79 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

06-08-2008, 08:41 AM

Why doesn't everyone just stop using the damn word? Does it really mean that much to you to use the word 'rape' that you are willing you upset and offend other people on the forum?

If so then you are very selfish and rude. There is no need to use the word in that manner, and stop pretending your all rebels by saying 'Oh oh but it's freedom of speech!' Just cut it out. Maybe it's not a big deal to you but it's not about you. If people just replaced the word with something different this thread could be closed and everyone could just forget about it.
(#80 (permalink))
Old
Asakura (Offline)
Training like Ryu.......

06-08-2008, 09:43 AM

The fact is, is that you're not going to stop people from using the word. I agree with Eve and Taln. It is not a word that should be used as slang or casually, Rape is a very serious and harmful thing. Thing like that should not be made light of. I feel in a way you consent it when you use it lightly, this applys to both men and women. When you make words like rape, cute and funny, you take away the meaning and change the connotation of the word. And eventually seeing or hearing about the action dosen't affect you as much, if at all. Sometimes it even turns around.

For example. Take the word kill, it's used very lightly. Yet it is one of the most terrible crimes a person can commit. I'll admit I myself use the word much too lightly.

Ubi concordia, ibi victoria
Closed Thread