LinkBack Thread Tools
(#121 (permalink))
Old
Payne222 (Offline)
un américain

08-09-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukisUke View Post
Sorry to be so blunt...... but for you to call me a moron because I have my own opinion and belief about this situation tells me that you don't respect what I have to say. And FYI, I have manga that I bought on my own. I don't just rely on online manga.
No I don't have respect for what you say because it's justifying breaking the law! You need a filter from your brain to your mouth to figure out the right things to say, and in this instance, type.
Good, I'm glad you actually paid for some of it, but you can't justify the "right" to get it free online". The only rights you have are to life, liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness. You're not guaranteed it.

As for the library, here's a novel idea. TALK to them. Ask them to order the series you'd like to do and with a little cooperation...ta-dah! The manga you want to read!

(Also, thank you Misericordias. :] )
(#122 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
08-10-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne222 View Post
No I don't have respect for what you say because it's justifying breaking the law! You need a filter from your brain to your mouth to figure out the right things to say, and in this instance, type.
Good, I'm glad you actually paid for some of it, but you can't justify the "right" to get it free online". The only rights you have are to life, liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness. You're not guaranteed it.

As for the library, here's a novel idea. TALK to them. Ask them to order the series you'd like to do and with a little cooperation...ta-dah! The manga you want to read!

(Also, thank you Misericordias. :] )

I'm not breaking the law!! I don't download the manga or anything like that I just read it!! And I don't need a "filter"!! Even if I ask them to order it, it might not be possible to get the volumes I want.
(#123 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
08-10-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Please don't try and rewrite history.
Please don't try and provoke me to, MMM.
(#124 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-10-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
How can you save any money when there's an economic crisis going on? We all have bills to pay, if you've forgotten.
honestly yukisuke-- Of course we all have bills to pay. I am on a low pension so have to be particular about what I buy after all the essentials are paid for including tax and council tax etc and all the other bills.

small amounts of money saved can add up surely. Better to save than to squander.

In this life we have to learn what is sensible and what is not.

You've had some very good advice and explanations on here so that should tell you the practicalities.

I want to go to Japan but I have to save carefully what little I can to eventually be able to do that.
(#125 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-10-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:

I'm not breaking the law!! I don't download the manga or anything like that I just read it!! And I don't need a "filter"!! Even if I ask them to order it, it might not be possible to get the volumes I want.
Wrong. Reading it online, even if you don't download it or share it is STILL stealing and it's STILL illegal. Did you know that libraries have to have a special license to give out books to the general public? I can borrow a book from my friend and that's fine, but if someone else advertises book lending in the public domain (and who isn't a library or other authorized service), then that's illegal, and by borrowing from then I am participating in an illegal activity. Just because you have the comfort of a computer screen between you, doesn't make it less so. The point is you are wrongly ~accessing~ copyright material through an illegal medium and an illegal mediator. You are actively supporting theft by providing hits to the site, and that puts money in the thief's pockets as more hits = more worth in ad-space sales.

Asking your library to consider buying in more manga is still better than lazy stealing. You should also check the area book database. If my town library doesn't have a book I want but another library within the county does, I can usually ask for it to be sent across on reserve for me, so just because it's not on the shelf, doesn't automatically mean it's not available at all.
(#126 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-10-2010, 07:08 PM

Columbine nailed it.

It doesn't matter if you are downloading the files to your computer or not. This is intellectual property, rather than physical property. You are taking it with your eyes when you read it online.

This is the same reason I couldn't make a TV show starring Superman and try to broadcast it. "Superman" doesn't belong to me.
(#127 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
08-10-2010, 08:02 PM

You know, I didn't honestly know it was Illegal. Stupid moment.
But I saw them always having a disclaimer or something, saying like "if you enjoy this, go out and buy it."

I do admit at one point I worshipped it. Because it had titles I never heard about or seen that I grew to love. But when I tried looking for it at the american, or japanese based bookstores, and online, I could not find a way to order it. (Again, another stupid moment.)

I guess I am glad I stopped reading it back last year. Kind of wish it wasn't so, but thats my selfish side talking
And now I can't afford manga. I really can't. I don't even have a job, and I am using my money that was meant for Japan to live now. DX So I understand some frustration, but...it is pretty selfish for severe fans.
I can live without it.

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#128 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
08-10-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayci View Post
You know, I didn't honestly know it was Illegal. Stupid moment.
But I saw them always having a disclaimer or something, saying like "if you enjoy this, go out and buy it."

I do admit at one point I worshipped it. Because it had titles I never heard about or seen that I grew to love. But when I tried looking for it at the american, or japanese based bookstores, and online, I could not find a way to order it. (Again, another stupid moment.)

I guess I am glad I stopped reading it back last year. Kind of wish it wasn't so, but thats my selfish side talking
And now I can't afford manga. I really can't. I don't even have a job, and I am using my money that was meant for Japan to live now. DX So I understand some frustration, but...it is pretty selfish for severe fans.
I can live without it.
And I can't go to a Library lately. The two main ones that carry manga are closed....and apparently parents are boycotting the smaller one from doing so.

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#129 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-10-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayci View Post
And I can't go to a Library lately. The two main ones that carry manga are closed....and apparently parents are boycotting the smaller one from doing so.
So the library no longer carries manga? Can you give more details about that?
(#130 (permalink))
Old
willgoestocollege (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-10-2010, 09:50 PM

YukisUke, you don't have to always buy brand new manga. Go on eBay and bid on used manga.