JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Korean missile... (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/24216-korean-missile.html)

alanX 04-05-2009 03:41 AM

Korean missile...

Today (Saturday, April 04) North Korea launched a test missile into the ocean.

Why do you think they did this? And what do you think this could lead to?

cridgit001 04-05-2009 03:51 AM

Proving their own technology? Everyone one keeps saying that they would sell their technology. But based upon what?

Anyways, news peoples said that Obama wants to get back to the negotiation table with N. Korea and also wants the other 6 parties in the region(China, S. Korea, Japan, others) to chat about all the jazz that has been going on. He(Obama) is supposed to give a speech at 4am ET in America(he isn't in America, that's the region time) addressing a "nuke free" world and address the N. Korean launch. Should be interesting.

alanX 04-05-2009 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cridgit001 (Post 693552)
Proving their own technology? Everyone one keeps saying that they would sell their technology. But based upon what?

Anyways, news peoples said that Obama wants to get back to the negotiation table with N. Korea and also wants the other 6 parties in the region(China, S. Korea, Japan, others) to chat about all the jazz that has been going on. He(Obama) is supposed to give a speech at 4am ET in America(he isn't in America, that's the region time) addressing a "nuke free" world and address the N. Korean launch. Should be interesting.

I don't really understand what you mean.

Well.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see the outcome of this "meeting" in order to get some possible answers.

Kyousuke 04-05-2009 04:06 AM

just read that not 2 seconds ago. N. Korea is planning something, otherwise why the test missile. it sounds paranoid but its my opinion

Kenpachi11 04-05-2009 04:07 AM

my bro told me that he heard they are planning to send a satelite into space...i dont really believe him tho...is it true?

cridgit001 04-05-2009 04:09 AM

I heard that too. I think people's main beef with it is that the launch system, whether it's sending a satellite or warhead, its the same thing so that's why everyone is riled up.

Kenpachi11 04-05-2009 04:20 AM

yea thats whats getting everybody whiled up. if they tried to launch a missle to hit a place. i think s.korea, china, and japan would probably try to stop them b4 they did it. dont you guys think?

Jaydelart 04-05-2009 04:21 AM

I'm hoping it is less sinister than it seems.
I do know one thing... I am a perfectly healthy young man... If they attack South Korea, America, or Japan... I may be inclined to join the armed forces earlier than I originally planned.

We'll see how things end up.

alanX 04-05-2009 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydelart (Post 693561)
I do know one thing... I am a perfectly healthy young man... If they attack South Korea, America, or Japan... I may be inclined to join the armed forces earlier than I originally planned.

There will be no need. If anyone attacks us, then Obama will just be like "Ehh, it's okay, we don't need to retaliate. We'll just let all the other nations just walk all over us."

Another reason why I'm scared.

For all I know, they were just testing some of their defense missiles, like we (America) has done countless times. But...something tells me this isn't the case.

reptilesandsamurai 04-05-2009 04:30 AM

I'm sure there's a couple of subs named after states sitting at launch depth in the Sea of Japan right now.

komitsuki 04-05-2009 04:30 AM

North Korea primarily uses fear through diplomatic talks, not military, to taunt other countries.

I guess people finally know this by now.

alanX 04-05-2009 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reptilesandsamurai (Post 693563)
I'm sure there's a couple of subs named after states sitting at launch depth in the Sea of Japan right now.

Well if you're insinuating that they're aiming at North Korea, then I sure do hope they are. I would nuke the missile holding grounds without question if I was president.

ironcurtain 04-05-2009 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenpachi11 (Post 693555)
my bro told me that he heard they are planning to send a satelite into space...i dont really believe him tho...is it true?

Well~I'm a Chinese~and I think Japanese people needn't to be worried about it too much.This just is N.Korean's old measure to attract international attention.
Like its nuclear plan,it just a way to transfer its people's attention from the hard life in NK.

In fact,I don't like N.Korea(Attention,N.Korea,not N.Korean) very much.It always be the troublemaker of the NE Asia'safety.And N.Korea is ungrateful.
It accept the international help,but still do these kinds of things.And about
350000 Chineese soldiers died to help them resist U.S in 1950s(including my grandfather).But they even didn't mention a word about this in their textbook.

cridgit001 04-05-2009 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydelart (Post 693561)

Same here, but, since I'm in college, I won't be first up to bat in the draft. Which would be pointless if the nukes go up. But I'm not a fear-monger. I hope for the best, but I still know where the bomb shelters are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironcurtain (Post 693566)
Well~I'm a Chinese~and I think Japanese people needn't to be worried about it too much.This just is N.Korean's old measure to attract international attention.
Like its nuclear plan,it just a way to transfer its people's attention from the hard life in NK.

In fact,I don't like N.Korea(Attention,N.Korea,not N.Korean) very much.It always be the troublemaker of the NE Asia'safety.And N.Korea is ungrateful.
It accept the international help,but still do these kinds of things.And about
350000 Chineese soldiers died to help them resist U.S in 1950s(including my grandfather).But they even didn't mention a word about this.

Indeed, this is random but are you in China right now?

komitsuki 04-05-2009 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironcurtain (Post 693566)
This just is N.Korean's old measure to attract international attention.

Very true.

alanX 04-05-2009 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cridgit001 (Post 693567)
Same here, but, since I'm in college, I won't be first up to bat in the draft. Which would be pointless if the nukes go up. But I'm not a fear-monger. I hope for the best, but I still know where the bomb shelters are.

Will Obama really start a draft?

I'd gladly go to prison before I go to war.

cridgit001 04-05-2009 04:37 AM

You may get mixed responses to that last comment, but yeah he could. It would take Congress to do it, but it could still happen. If anything, they would most-likely transplant the troops from Iraq and Afghanistan to where ever the "new" action is.

MMM 04-05-2009 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 693562)
There will be no need. If anyone attacks us, then Obama will just be like "Ehh, it's okay, we don't need to retaliate. We'll just let all the other nations just walk all over us."

For all I know, they were just testing some of their defense missiles, like we (America) has done countless times. But...something tells me this isn't the case.

Why in the world do you think Obama would not retaliate if N. Korea sent a nuclear missile to America? I think you need to read the news with a closer eye.

joeyj 04-05-2009 04:43 AM

They want to use their missiles as bargaining chips, IMO.

Kenpachi11 04-05-2009 04:44 AM

Quote:

i have no idea where our bomb shelters are....or storm shelters for a matter of fact...

@alan: yea same here...i dont think i could be drafted anyway. if i get too worked up my heart start hurting and its hard for me to breath. i had heart problems when i was lil

ironcurtain 04-05-2009 04:48 AM

Quote:

Yes,I'm a student in Southern China
Is the mood in japan very nervous now?Well, I don't know.

If N.korea don't want to lost its northern allies,it won't attact China and Russia:mtongue: .

alanX 04-05-2009 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 693573)
Why in the world do you think Obama would not retaliate if N. Korea sent a nuclear missile to America? I think you need to read the news with a closer eye.

Bro...Obama would sit back and not do a thing. And he would get away with it, because about 90% of all the congress men are Democrats, and they have "his back."

Do you think he would have even attacked Iraq/Afghanistan when then bombed us in 9/11? I think not...

Jaydelart 04-05-2009 04:55 AM

Quote:

I'm with you on this.

People can be extremely irrational... Communists are definitely no different. It's one thing to want peace with other nations; It's another thing to allow other nations step all over us. Hopefully, our dear Mr. President can sense the distinction when it matters the most.

Like MMM pointed out, Obama would have to be insane to not react after an attack on the U.S.
... But I understand what you're saying: Complacency is basically an invitation for evildoers to do as they please.

It is a scary thought.

LuckyLuck 04-05-2009 04:59 AM

I'm sure it's more then they say it is.

Quote:

What makes you say that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 693571)
Will Obama really start a draft?

I'd gladly go to prison before I go to war.

You nag Obama and assume he won't retaliate if America was attacked when you don't even have the guts to defend your country? I'm not American born and I'm no patriot but the irony in your words is hilarious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydelart (Post 693580)
... But I understand what you're saying: Complacency is basically an invitation for evildoers to do as they please.

But immediately jumping into attack mode before the accused proves you right, makes you the evildoer. It's important to be prepared but jumping without being pushed, in the world is politics, is naive.

cridgit001 04-05-2009 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLuck (Post 693582)
But immediately jumping into attack mode before the accused proves you right, makes you the evildoer. It's important to be prepared but jumping without being pushed, in the world is politics, is naive.

One could consider the launch the "push". Just saying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironcurtain (Post 693577)
Yes,I'm a student in Southern China
Is the mood in japan very nervous now?Well, I don't know.

If N.korea don't want to lost its northern allies,it won't attack China and Russia:mtongue: .

Sweet, and they are probably nervous, we(America) are and it supposedly flew over Japan and landed in the sea.

I don't really see them trying to attack anyone, it would be more logical to threaten to sell the technology, not use it themselves to attack. That would be like a bulldog biting an elephant's ankle.

alanX 04-05-2009 05:26 AM

Quote:

You nag Obama and assume he won't retaliate if America was attacked when you don't even have the guts to defend your country? I'm not American born and I'm no patriot but the irony in your words is hilarious.

What does me "nagging Obama" have to do with me not defending the country in which I live?

And it's not "guts" that I lack. I wouldn't defend a country that I have no attachment to whatsoever.

But this is not the place to fight. So let's leave it at this. Back on subject.

MMM 04-05-2009 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 693579)
Bro...Obama would sit back and not do a thing. And he would get away with it, because about 90% of all the congress men are Democrats, and they have "his back."

Do you think he would have even attacked Iraq/Afghanistan when then bombed us in 9/11? I think not...

There will never be another draft.

Congress is not nearly 90% Democratic. Almost 60% in the Senate and about 55% in the House.

Again, read the news. Don't just look at the headlines but READ instead of spout.

I know you aren't going to read more than a few sentences, but I'll be brief.

You don't know what you are talking about. Google news on "Obama, Afghanistan, troop increase".

Simply put, you are talking out your a$$ about something you know too little about.

ironcurtain 04-05-2009 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cridgit001 (Post 693585)
One could consider the launch the "push". Just saying.

Sweet, and they are probably nervous, we(America) are and it supposedly flew over Japan and landed in the sea.

I don't really see them trying to attack anyone, it would be more logical to threaten to sell the technology, not use it themselves to attack. That would be like a bulldog biting an elephant's ankle.

Yeah,I know.I just don't understand what do they want to get?

alanX 04-05-2009 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 693588)
There will never be another draft.

What makes you say that?

MMM 04-05-2009 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 693591)
What makes you say that?

If you are taking about Global Thermonuclear War, what good are troops? It will all be submarines, planes and missiles. There will be no ground war.

Jaydelart 04-05-2009 05:50 AM

Quote:

I agree with you to a certain point.

... But what of the cost of letting the accused prove you right?
I'm not suggesting we bomb North Korea because we "think" they'll attack someone. However, the extent of our ability and the values from which our nation is founded upon - those being of Freedom and Justice - should already be clear enough that preemtive action can be justified and necessary against those that threaten and aggressively oppose them. I don't think this logic is naive.

cridgit001 04-05-2009 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 693592)
If you are taking about Global Thermonuclear War, what good are troops? It will all be submarines, planes and missiles. There will be no ground war.

Don't forget my personal favorite, Rods from God. Telephone poles of tungsten metal thrown at the earth from space. All the effects of a nuke without all the messy fallout.

Kenpachi11 04-05-2009 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cridgit001 (Post 693600)
Don't forget my personal favorite, Rods from God. Telephone poles of tungsten metal thrown at the earth from space. All the effects of a nuke without all the messy fallout.

wouldnt the tungsten burn up due to the heat of the atmospher? tungsten is also what they use for electrode in welding.

cridgit001 04-05-2009 06:14 AM

Well that's what the article said, Rods from God | Popular Science.

Kenpachi11 04-05-2009 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cridgit001 (Post 693604)
Well that's what the article said, Rods from God | Popular Science.

i still dont know...i still think the tungsten will burn..tungsten is also a really good heat conducter.

solemnclockwork 04-05-2009 07:00 AM

Well, it's like showing off wares for sell, seeing how they are undoubtedly selling weaponry to other counties. Also in light of the Nuclear tech they recently got, it puts everyone over the edge on it going on the black market. Secondly it's a rouge nation and does not care for who they would potentially kill when it comes to a sell of arms for there need for money (they are in an economic disaster). Not to mention that they threaten to shoot down any spy planes that where watching the site. Lastly the biggest concern is the potential for Iran to get a hold of this tech, leading to a more volatile situation with them.

All congress needs is 60 percent. With only 57 seats, they only need 3 Republicans to vote for there proposals to have an super majority (which means no one can stop them from passing anything). The chance for us to go to war with anyone now is next to zero, well I mean our "Overseas Contingency Plan" (War on Terror) seems to be going like he wanted. Well we are going back to 9/11 pre-mentality, if we have another "man-caused disaster" (terrorist attack) I would bet it would be Obama's fault for letting it happen. I mean he already sold out the USA to the G-20 summit, also he continues to down-play the War on Terror (closing of Gitmo without an actual plan, thus causing terrorist cases to be dropped potentially allowing them to go free). I mean how can you deny one serge and expect to get credit for another, when you won't give credit to one?

MMM 04-05-2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solemnclockwork (Post 693610)
All congress needs is 60 percent. With only 57 seats, they only need 3 Republicans to vote for there proposals to have an super majority (which means no one can stop them from passing anything).

Congress is made up of the House and the Senate. Neither of those halves of Congress are 60+% Democratic.

Quote:

The chance for us to go to war with anyone now is next to zero, well I mean our "Overseas Contingency Plan" (War on Terror) seems to be going like he wanted.

You mean not being the world's police and biggest target? I am all for that.

Who are you wanting to go to war with that we aren't already?

Quote:

Well we are going back to 9/11 pre-mentality,

We will never return to pre-9/11 mentality. What American could forget 9/11?

Quote:

if we have another "man-caused disaster" (terrorist attack) I would bet it would be Obama's fault for letting it happen.

Was 9/11 Pres. Bush's "fault for letting it happen"?

Quote:

I mean he already sold out the USA to the G-20 summit

Woah...what right-wing radio talk show host do you waste time listening to? Hannity? Limbaugh? These are not news sources, but guys paid to stir things up.

Quote:

, also he continues to down-play the War on Terror (closing of Gitmo without an actual plan, thus causing terrorist cases to be dropped potentially allowing them to go free).

and causing individuals who have been imprisoned for months, and even over a year, without being accused of a crime to finally be processed.

Quote:

I mean how can you deny one serge and expect to get credit for another, when you won't give credit to one?

I don't know what surge you are talking about, but imprisoning and torturing our enemies is not the type of behavior that gets them to back down.

This thread is full of posts filled with information that appears to be collected in schoolyards and cafeterias. Spend five minutes and read an article, people. Don't depend on what your classmate or AM radio talking head says.

Jaydelart 04-05-2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 693622)
Woah...what right-wing radio talk show host do you waste time listening to? Hannity? Limbaugh? These are not news sources, but guys paid to stir things up.

I don't know. They seem similar in nature to many of the various left-wing talk shows I've seen and heard. I don't listen to a lot of Hannity or Limbaugh... But I find it funny how Liberals despise them so much.

Jaydelart 04-05-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshAussie (Post 693625)
Its because Kim Jong Il is dying and he wants to destroy America before he dies so the NK's remember him as their ultimate saviour.

NK hates America, Doesnt anybody watch "Dont tell my mother im in:" ??

People taking their kids to gun ranges so their kids can learn how to shoot incase the Americans invade. Believing that American propaganda has brainwashed the other nations. Not to mention that festival thing where they all run at fullsize cardboard figures of "Americans" and beat it with a stick.. But thats just not fun enough so they turned it into a relay race, that way everybody gets a shot.

Don't overlook the fact that some North Koreans want to escape their country. There are some sad stories of families seperated or killed in their desperate attempts to reach the South.

The way I see it, the Korean Wars aren't over yet. The DMZ is a good example of why.

MMM 04-05-2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydelart (Post 693623)
I don't know. They seem similar in nature to many of the various left-wing talk shows I've seen and heard. I don't listen to a lot of Hannity or Limbaugh... But I find it funny how Liberals despise them so much.

Limbaugh: ‘I Hope Obama Fails’

We are playing tit-for-tat now, but never has a left-wing radio host or pundit wished for the American president to FAIL just to prove a point.

Why would someone wish for the president to fail?