(#11 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
07-23-2009, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
People seem to have a lot of misconceptions about the police in Japan. The police you usually see here look a lot like bank security guards. They typically sit in their police box for most of the day, getting out from time to time to ride their white Bridgestone shopping bikes around the neighborhood so the old housewives won't complain about them doing nothing.

But, in reality, police in Japan have quite a bit more power than police in places like America do. In America police need just cause to stop you and question you. In Japan there is no such requirement. In America if the police arrest you, they must give you access to a lawyer, allow you to make a telephone call, and they are required to let you appear before a judge with 72 hours of your arrest. In Japan you can be held for weeks without being allowed to contact or see anyone.

In America police can get in trouble for "getting rough" with you. In Japan people who are arrested often look like they fell down a flight of stairs after they are "questioned". If you are abused by the police in America, you can sue for damages, in Japan the most you will ever get is an apology (and only if you are found innocent of any charges).

Foreigners are often questioned by police in Japan and asked to show their passports or residency cards. If you are asked, you have no choice but to comply. The officer needs no reason to ask you, and if you refuse, you are violating the terms of your visa.

Few western foreigners are bothered by the police, as the police tend to focus on those who are most likely to be in the country illegally, such as those of Filipino or Korean descent. Racial profiling is perfectly acceptable in Japan.

For those who are stopped by the police, just smile and do what you are asked. Once again, you don't have a choice.
I'd rather take the Japanese cops than the American cops anyday. At least I would still be living.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

07-24-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithanh119 View Post
Hi guys

Just wanted to ask anyone around here what they know of gaijin rights while being stopped by the police. No rumours or hearsay just what you know to be fact. Having just been stopped recently this subject has just popped up on my radar.

Soo what are my rights?
I was stopped and booked twice for driving offences.

Oh, and finger printed once..

As for my right's, apparantly the finger printing should not have been on of them from the police side.

Cheers - Oz
(#13 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

07-24-2009, 02:38 PM

http://www.debito.org/GcardLAWS.pdf

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ
(#14 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
07-24-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimp View Post
They sound nicer than any of the cops here in America.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Pike (Offline)
Asian Female? Where?

07-25-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukisUke View Post
NOT in AMERICA!! They are like that to...how should I say-Caucasians, but not towards African Americans. I'm African American so I can tell you that police are total assholes when it comes to us. They stop you in your cars when you don't do anything AND they even stop us on bikes. America is one country in which police are assholes to minorities.
Not to start a fight about it but most times they(minorities) are up to something.

The Ecstasy of Emptiness
The Purity of Suffering
The Divinity of Loneliness
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-25-2009, 02:24 AM

(#17 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
07-25-2009, 02:44 AM

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you
(#18 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-25-2009, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You've done it now. And you know what I mean.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-25-2009, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
You've done it now. And you know what I mean.
And I would do it again...
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-26-2009, 04:42 AM

I think many of the altercations between blacks and cops in the states is due in large part because both groups already have a predetermined perspective of how the encounter will play out, and both parties do everything in thier power to ensure that's exactly how it goes. In other words, both sides have allready predetermined how it will go.

If you think a task is impossible, it will be, because you have allready declared it so.