JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Salvadorian (Offline)
New to JF

07-26-2009, 07:20 AM

And if you don't want to spend up to 20 days in a Japanese prison sign the citation he gives you! Japanese cops won't pull you over for no reason, so chances are you did do something wrong.

I just took my Japanese license written test so these were some fun little facts they told us in the class @_@
(#22 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
07-27-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike View Post
Not to start a fight about it but most times they(minorities) are up to something.
Like what? Living their lives? I've seen it happen before. Cop stops (black) people in their car. They're not doing anything but driving home or something. The cops hold them there just to mess with them and the people in the car get aggrivated. They were basically stopped because they were black. There are some black people out there who do nothing at all and they're still stopped.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-28-2009, 03:27 AM

That's going to be a tough question to answer, specially since I'm not trying to insult anyone, I can only speak from my own experiance.

I work mall security and we have had alot of trouble over the years. Everytime we get involved with a black shop lifter, they howl racist and profileing and make as much of a scene as they can. This is from folks we have caught red handed leaveing the building with several stolen items.

I realize bad things have happened in the past, I understand that. However, comeing across with a giant chip on thier shoulder and acting like everyone owes them because of some past wrong none of us were involved in, gets tedious..

Now yes, I do agree that in some places of the country it's rough, but I'm not going to automatically believe it's allways the cops fault because I have seen first hand how these things get blown out of proportion by the perps themselves.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-28-2009, 04:00 AM

This thread is supposed to be about police and Japan, so let's try and move things back in that direction.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
07-28-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike View Post
Not to start a fight about it but most times they(minorities) are up to something.
i haven't given one of these in a while but you just earned my

FAIL award and pretty much faster than anyone iv previously seen.

Iv been stopped only once when i was Japan showed my passport and even asked for directions that was about it. American cops well they can be dicks personally iv never had to really deal with cops. Iv never even gotten speeding ticket.

Last edited by Sinestra : 07-28-2009 at 01:07 PM.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
07-28-2009, 01:29 PM

While power tripping is a common fault of law enforcement - especially rookies, it usually comes back into line after a few months.

And racial profiling is common.... in all humans - not just cops. And its not just against blacks. I am white, middle-class as they come and I have been stopped exactly as described and harassed in the U.S. - and by white cops! And yet, in foreign countries they have never failed to be polite and helpful once I got past them scaring the hell out of me.

Those of your screaming about maltreatment by cops need a slight perspective adjustment. Wouldn't you be on edge and unpleasant if you were required to approach hostile strangers on a regular basis?

99% of the time if you are polite and civil, the cop will be too; unless you are clearly doing something you shouldn't or hanging around somewhere you have no business being.

I spent a year on a police advisory board because I was pissed off at what I saw the local cops doing. After hearing their side of the crap they put up with and seeing the rude and disgusting behavior of many of those coming to court to fight their traffic tickets, I think generally cops deserve more credit than I am reading here.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-28-2009, 02:27 PM

I agree Taln. Treat them how you want to be treated. Of course there are jerks in every profession. I had a Highway Patrolman who pulled me over weekly on the way to work to "check the window tinting". I was always polite, even when I asked for his name and badge number to report him for harassment. He left me alone after that. I think I was profiled since I was Hispanic and driving a nice car (drug smugglers do this). But most are nice.
The Japanese police were always very polite. They even put everything back where it was when they searched my apartment.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

07-29-2009, 01:35 AM

I got pulled over for tint alot too, they just don't like tint, it says "I'm hideing stuff".

I suspect in Japan it's prolly more of an outsider type thing, Non native folks stick out there more so than they would in the US.