JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#751 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-23-2011, 03:58 AM

I hope that here, unlike virtually everywhere else discussing this on the net, people notice that vegetables testing over the limit were not sold and are not being eaten.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#752 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-23-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I hope that here, unlike virtually everywhere else discussing this on the net, people notice that vegetables testing over the limit were not sold and are not being eaten.
A tiny bit of information that is very very useful.
(#753 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-23-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Yea that is indeed very important information! That's what I had read as well. It only makes sense.

I have always checked where certain vegetables come from when I buy them at the store-- but I don't think I noticed a single vegetable from that entire region, let alone prefecture or city the last few times I've gone shopping. It makes me feel for the farmers involved (and the whole economy up there)... but at the same time I don't want anything to do with those vegetables for a long time. I know at least around here a lot of people grow a lot of their own fruits & vegetables... so I can only imagine how tragic it would be to basically have the ability to make safe food removed from your land for possibly a very long time.
(#754 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

03-23-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
Yea that is indeed very important information! That's what I had read as well. It only makes sense.

I have always checked where certain vegetables come from when I buy them at the store-- but I don't think I noticed a single vegetable from that entire region, let alone prefecture or city the last few times I've gone shopping. It makes me feel for the farmers involved (and the whole economy up there)... but at the same time I don't want anything to do with those vegetables for a long time. I know at least around here a lot of people grow a lot of their own fruits & vegetables... so I can only imagine how tragic it would be to basically have the ability to make safe food removed from your land for possibly a very long time.
Broad leaf vegetables pick up particles in the air (because they have large leaves that are directly exposed and open to the air), and cows will accumulate minuscule amounts from eating various leaves and grasses, which is then passed on to their milk.

Those are the two big ones that suffer the most contamination and the most quickly. With the vegetables, very little is absorbed into the plants themselves, so protected varieties (think things where you don`t eat the outermost layer) are likely to be safe everywhere but the closest areas to the reactor. The majority of the contamination will fade away pretty quickly after the emissions stop.

In other words, it is in their best interests to continue production, as chances are the food will end up being tested and certified to be safe after they get the reactor settled down.
I wouldn`t actively choose to eat things from that area right now... But to be honest, with the tiny amounts they`ve found so far, I wouldn`t balk at buying some if it were the only available. I`d just avoid giving it to my son...

But then again, as my son had 1~3 chest x-rays a DAY for 3 months then one every other day for another 2 months afterward, I can`t see it causing any more risk than he already has.

(#755 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post surface temperature - 03-24-2011, 12:24 AM

Restoration at nuke plant disrupted, radiation fears spread to Tokyo

TOKYO, March 23, Kyodo

Work to restore power and key cooling functions was disrupted again Wednesday at the crisis-hit Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant as smoke caused workers to evacuate, while fear of radioactive pollution spread to Tokyo with an alert not to give tap water to infants.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano urged residents of areas under the wind from the plant to stay indoors and avoid exposure to air as much as possible as a precaution, while official advisories are for people within a 20-kilometer radius to evacuate and within 20 km to 30 km to stay indoors.

The plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. said it learned at around 4:20 p.m. that black smoke was seen rising at the No. 3 reactor building, leading to evacuation of workers from the four troubled reactors, but added about an hour later that it was receding.

The radiation level was unchanged shortly afterward, meaning the smoke caused no massive release of radioactive materials, the government's nuclear safety agency said. Smoke was also seen billowing from the No. 3 building on Monday.

It also turned out that the surface temperatures of the No. 1 and No. 3 reactor vessels have topped the maximum levels set by their designers. The rise of the temperatures came to light after data measuring instruments became available with the power restored Tuesday, the agency said.

In Tokyo, the metropolitan government said radioactive iodine exceeding the limit for infants' intake was detected in water at a purification plant, apparently due to the ongoing crisis at the power station crippled by the March 11 massive quake and tsunami.

At the plant run by the utility known as TEPCO, all six reactors were reconnected to external power as of Tuesday night and workers scrambled to check each piece of equipment, such as data measuring tools and feed-water pumps, before transmitting power to them.

As part of efforts to restore lost functions at the plant, TEPCO aimed to first revive a pump by Thursday to inject fresh water into the core of the No. 3 reactor, instead of seawater that has currently been poured using fire pumps, the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said.

While the maximum vessel temperature set by the reactors' designers is 302 C degrees, the surface temperature of the No. 1 reactor vessel briefly topped 400 C and dropped to about 350 C by noon, and that of the No. 3 reactor vessel stood at about 305 C, the agency said.

Although the facilities are not expected to start melting at those temperatures, according to agency spokesman Hidehiko Nishiyama, TEPCO increased the amount of seawater injected into the No. 1 reactor by nine times to help cool it down.

Nishiyama said TEPCO will carefully continue to inject massive amounts of water into the No. 1 reactor so as not to raise the pressure in the reactor.

Massive water injection could raise pressure in the reactor, which increases the risk of damage to the facility, and workers would be required to release radioactive steam from the reactor to lower the pressure.

At the No. 2 reactor, workers have been unable to replace a pump to help revive its internal cooling system since Friday as high-level radiation amounting to at least 500 millisieverts per hour was detected at its turbine building, the spokesman said.

Water-spraying operations, meanwhile, continued in the morning at the No. 4 reactor unit to help cool down its spent nuclear fuel pool, using trucks with a concrete squeeze pump and a 50-meter arm capable of pouring water from a higher point.

But similar operations for the No. 3 reactor were put off due to the smoke.

Also on Wednesday, a series of strong aftershocks jolted the coastal area of Fukushima Prefecture where the crippled plant is located, but they did not affect the restoration work, the nuclear agency said.

TEPCO said two workers who had been installing a makeshift power source from Tuesday night were injured and taken to hospital, but they were not exposed to radiation.

Lighting in a control room for the No. 3 and No. 4 reactors was partially restored Tuesday night, a key step toward regaining control of the situation as operators have been unable to remain in any control rooms for long hours due to high radiation levels and power outages.

After the March 11 earthquake and massive tsunami knocked out power at the plant, the cooling functions failed at the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 reactors, while the pools storing spent nuclear fuel at the No. 1, No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 units have also lost all their cooling functions.

In addition to efforts to douse the pools with water sprayed from outside, workers are also attempting to inject water by reviving internal cooling systems, according to the nuclear agency.

==Kyodo News
(#756 (permalink))
Old
kouichisan (Offline)
おす!

Japan Quake Map Now Available - 03-24-2011, 01:08 AM

Japan Quake Map
Japan Quake Map Link - Click This
Time-lapse visualisation of the March 11, 2011 earthquake off the coast of
Sendai, Japan and its aftershocks.
(#757 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-24-2011, 05:42 AM

Radioactive contamination of Water update:

Kanamachi Water filtering plant (Katsushika-ku) reported 79 becquerels per kilogram this morning, down from 210 yesterday. (the "safe" level for adults is 300, and 100 for infants) This plant services Saitama and Chiba, in Tokyo's north and east.

Chiba's Kikunosato water filtering plant was 220 becquerels per kilogram, Kuriyama water filtering plant 180 becquerels per kilogram on the 23rd.
Saitama's Singo water filtering plant 120 becquerels per kilogram on the 22nd, down to 46 becquerels per kilogram on the 24th.

(iodine 131 contamination)
(#758 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

03-24-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
the "safe" level for adults is 300, and 100 for infants
I have heard from multiple sources that the "safe" levels in Japan are considerably lower (sometimes less than 1/3rd) the "safe" levels in other locations... But of course now that there has been contamination found in Japanese water, I have to dredge through hundreds upon hundreds of pages of results about that to even find info on the "safe" levels set elsewhere.

I did find information in bq/kg for Europe, and apparently the "safe" levels there are 600bq/kg. References for Canada are saying 500bq/kg.

I`ll list anymore I find here.

ETA:

WHO has apparently said 1000bq/kg for adults, but "as little as possible" for infants.

Last edited by Nyororin : 03-24-2011 at 07:59 AM.
(#759 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-24-2011, 09:47 AM

But according to bluejeanslady we're all just sheep here because we believe the government is not trying to put us at risk! Supposedly in Germany they have the real figures of radiation here in Japan and it's looking grim for us all!!! Don't drink or eat anything and try not to breath as well. Failing that move to the moon!
(#760 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Hey, what is the current situation? I was trying to follow NHK life and TV Japan, but the coverage seems to be all over the place. CNN also discovered that they can no longer make a big deal out of this, so the there are minimal coverage

That said, base on the limited information, I am guessing everything is now under control at the reactor? The effort is now concentrating around search and rescue?