JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   What do you think you will find in japan (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/36935-what-do-you-think-you-will-find-japan.html)

dogsbody70 04-05-2011 08:51 AM

What do you think you will find in japan

For those who say they wish to go or live in japan, what do you think you will find there?

Some Utopia? Especially since the recent disaster.

RealJames 04-05-2011 08:52 AM

One of the places where being different is better than being the same despite most people thinking being different is bad, which makes it the unpopular choice and a greater minority and even more fun. :)

tokusatsufan 04-05-2011 09:42 AM

I agree. Of course I know it isn't perfect. I just don't agree with British pessimism. Maybe that's what's always seperated me from other people. I know bad stuff happens but I think it's better to ignore it.

BobbyCooper 04-05-2011 10:20 AM

Happiness first of all!

If you have ever met a real Asian person before, then you know what I am talking about.

I always describe it like this.. It's a different World up there and it's the by far furthest away from the Western society. Now you can say to me that I should incorporate myself into the Western society, because I happen to be born here.. but the thing is I don't want to!

Inside I am Asian, I am just looking for people who are like me :)

JamboP26 04-05-2011 11:40 AM

Have to agree with BobbyCooper. Happiness, and a chance to fulfil dreams. It will be a change, and perhaps a shock, but I'm prepared. Just need to fulfil my requirements first

godwine 04-05-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyCooper (Post 860286)
Happiness first of all!

If you have ever met a real Asian person before, then you know what I am talking about.

I always describe it like this.. It's a different World up there and it's the by far furthest away from the Western society. Now you can say to me that I should incorporate myself into the Western society, because I happen to be born here.. but the thing is I don't want to!

Not sure if I agree to that 100%, Japan is probably the most westernized place among Asian countries.... I mean, sure, China has a few cities thats pretty westernized, but its just a few out of a large country, while Japan is MOST cities out of a smaller country (Land mass)

But I agree, happiness is the main thing, I just think I will be happier if I am there, its all relative, not suggesting that I am not happy where I am, but if I get to go back, i will be happier... though i dropped the idea of moving and living there. The IT field there work you like a wh*re, I don't think I can ever adapt to that kind of working culture...

dogsbody70 04-05-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamboP26 (Post 860293)
Have to agree with BobbyCooper. Happiness, and a chance to fulfil dreams. It will be a change, and perhaps a shock, but I'm prepared. Just need to fulfil my requirements first

so what are your dreams?

tokusatsufan 04-05-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwine (Post 860294)
Not sure if I agree to that 100%, Japan is probably the most westernized place among Asian countries

They might like American films but the people are very different.

godwine 04-05-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokusatsufan (Post 860305)
They might like American films but the people are very different.

Maybe I should say, there are some form of similarities between most countries in Asia, except for Japan. At least thats how most other asian view it. Its just more influenced by western culture than the other asian countries

RickOShay 04-05-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyCooper (Post 860286)

I hate to burst your bubble already but Japanese people on the whole will never see you as one of them. I suggest you be happy with who you are and embrace the dynamics it will create for you if you live here. Otherwise I do not think you will be happy in Japan.

SHAD0W 04-05-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogsbody70 (Post 860277)
For those who say they wish to go or live in japan, what do you think you will find there?

The holy grail. The chicken that lays the golden eggs.

JamboP26 04-05-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogsbody70 (Post 860295)
so what are your dreams?

Basically, to live in Japan, start a family, and have an enjoyable life. Little dreams include going to a J.League football match, buying stuff out an official club shop, going to a SuperGT race and perhaps going to the Summer Sonic Music Festival

StonerPenguin 04-05-2011 02:48 PM

BobbyCooper's "I'm Asian inside" comment sounds like such a delusional weeaboo thing to say D: I'm not gonna say I'm African-American inside because I like b-girling :mtongue: Reading stories on 4chan about people going to Japan, I've seen that the people who believe they're "Japanese" inside or they're going to their "true home" were always the most devastated by going to Japan.

You should have low expectations, so you'll appreciate the good things more ;)
I have zero expectations of making friends in Japan if I go to there.

Also, I expect to find in Japan a general lack of Christians and rednecks (not too unrealistic of an expectation, methinks =D)

SHAD0W 04-05-2011 03:09 PM

JamboP26
BobbyCooper

You guys make me sick.. seriously. Get a life.

Lien 04-05-2011 03:13 PM

I want to move to Japan to become a famous ninja :smokingbear:

RobinMask 04-05-2011 03:28 PM

Comment deleted.

Ehayes 04-05-2011 03:43 PM

Thank you, I am traveling to Japan at the end of the month. Cancelling, not an option, my kid is there (even tho he's almost 30). Even with the earthquakes and the theat of radiation, I know he is there and how could I not go? My only concern is getting from Narita to Misawa. As has been posted, the area affected is only a small part of the country.

JamboP26 04-05-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHAD0W (Post 860330)
JamboP26
BobbyCooper

Fine. Be sick. It doesnt bother me. You have your reasons and they're obviously different from mine, and BobbyCooper's for that matter

evanny 04-05-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealJames (Post 860278)
One of the places where being different is better than being the same despite most people thinking being different is bad, which makes it the unpopular choice and a greater minority and even more fun. :)

in some cases being different works. however most people (specially these "weebos" thinking they'll be cool in Japan) should open their eyes and realize that.......

JamboP26 04-05-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwine (Post 860294)
Not sure if I agree to that 100%, Japan is probably the most westernized place among Asian countries.... I mean, sure, China has a few cities thats pretty westernized, but its just a few out of a large country, while Japan is MOST cities out of a smaller country (Land mass)

But I agree, happiness is the main thing, I just think I will be happier if I am there, its all relative, not suggesting that I am not happy where I am, but if I get to go back, i will be happier... though i dropped the idea of moving and living there. The IT field there work you like a wh*re, I don't think I can ever adapt to that kind of working culture...

I just read your comments on the IT field, and (being an IT student) was interested to hear they work you hard. How so? As I dont have much in the way of information about IT in Japan. Could prove useful as I hope to go into the IT industry there....eventually :)

JohnBraden 04-05-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ehayes (Post 860339)
Thank you, I am traveling to Japan at the end of the month. Cancelling, not an option, my kid is there (even tho he's almost 30). Even with the earthquakes and the theat of radiation, I know he is there and how could I not go? My only concern is getting from Narita to Misawa. As has been posted, the area affected is only a small part of the country.

I flew out of Misawa on JAS to Haneda.... I'm sure that JAL still has flights there. Misawa has a small airport, but it should have daily flights to Tokyo's Haneda. They use the same runway as the military base. JAL flight 1225 flies in the morning at the cost of 29,670 yen....

As far as I know, the Tohoku Shinkansen isn't operating on all of its track to this day.

tokusatsufan 04-05-2011 05:38 PM

Why is it Japanese people can be weaboos the other way then? Or to rephrase that,what have weaboos ever done to you? Are you gonna be white trash?

Quote:

JamboP26
BobbyCooper

You guys make me sick.. seriously.

Yeah,that's not happening.

People go "OHMAGOD YOU AREN'T GONNA GO OVAH THERE BE SOME KIND OF GOD OR SOMETHING". As if we don't know that. Not being Japanese won't make you cool? Should we just top ourselves then? Do we have no hope of being the least bit cool in Japan in any way,shape or form ever?

godwine 04-05-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamboP26 (Post 860353)
I just read your comments on the IT field, and (being an IT student) was interested to hear they work you hard. How so? As I dont have much in the way of information about IT in Japan. Could prove useful as I hope to go into the IT industry there....eventually :)

Depending on what you specialized in, anything related to software development may mean that your bed will be the little space under your desk.

When I was working in semiconductor, we have Japanese clients. And occasionally I will need to send people there to work with the client. All my staff sound so excited when they find out they are going to Japan, and most of them want to come back after working there for 2 days. The expectation are very different, some of them had to work well over 16 hours a day.....

JamboP26 04-05-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwine (Post 860356)
Depending on what you specialized in, anything related to software development may mean that your bed will be the little space under your desk.

When I was working in semiconductor, we have Japanese clients. And occasionally I will need to send people there to work with the client. All my staff sound so excited when they find out they are going to Japan, and most of them want to come back after working there for 2 days. The expectation are very different, some of them had to work well over 16 hours a day.....

Ah, right. Thanks. Software dev. isn't my strongest area, and I was perhaps looking at more the support/techie side of things. Although, any area I'm qualified in I'll settle for. 16 hours? Thats extreme. I presume theres a lunch break or two in there, or is it a case of 20 mins to get food, then eat while you work?

tokusatsufan 04-05-2011 08:52 PM

Do you know, I hardly ever seem to get on with people on forums for some reason.

kenmei 04-05-2011 09:02 PM

...japanese people?

SHAD0W 04-05-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokusatsufan (Post 860370)
Do you know, I hardly ever seem to get on with people on forums for some reason.

No friends in real life or online eh? Sucks for you dude. But I would think that, being white trash and all.

tokusatsufan 04-05-2011 09:45 PM

No,my real life is much more important than a forum.

I am a British person that isn't pessimistic. That's why I don't get on with people on forums. What I will not tolerate is people trying to pretend that Japan also has that outlook on life.

Aniki 04-05-2011 11:29 PM

Another thread where weaboos can share their dreams and visions of a fantasy land called Japan.

Dejavu all over again.

BobbyCooper 04-06-2011 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StonerPenguin (Post 860324)
BobbyCooper's "I'm Asian inside" comment sounds like such a delusional weeaboo thing to say D: I'm not gonna say I'm African-American inside because I like b-girling :mtongue: Reading stories on 4chan about people going to Japan, I've seen that the people who believe they're "Japanese" inside or they're going to their "true home" were always the most devastated by going to Japan.

You should have low expectations, so you'll appreciate the good things more ;)
I have zero expectations of making friends in Japan if I go to there.

Also, I expect to find in Japan a general lack of Christians and rednecks (not too unrealistic of an expectation, methinks =D)

Quote:

JamboP26
BobbyCooper

So you're saying Asians are weeaboos I get it.. lol^^

You guys make ME Sick!

You know, I will tell you a little story on how I found out that I am Asian inside.
I went to Australia, NewZealand and South East Asia with the Working Holiday Programm in 2007.

I've met my first real Asian's on this trip and it changed my perspective of life and how I would like to live my life when I get back to Germany.

I've went to so many Hostels and so many Bar's and Nightclubs, Events in all of Australia and I had the pleasure to meet so many lovely Asian people as well.
Everytime when I visited a new Hostel, Asians were looked down on just like you said, weeaboos or something which isn't cool... yeah right..

Asian's were alone most of the time, spending there times with fellow Koreans/Japanese.. they just couldn't find a way to get into the Western people group or feel that they would belong there. Western people, especially dummys like you guys, looked down at them for being something which people like you call weird all the time. It's sickened me so much, that I wanted to experince how it would be like to travel with 2 or 3 Korean's/Japanese alone. After this experience I wanted ZERO part of morons like you two anymore.

It was the by far most heartwarming and loving experince I had in my short lifetime so far. I discovered something so beautiful which I still can't describe to other people. I've made and have since then built up a friendship with these Asians that I do not want to live without such poeple anymore. I know my life is great, I happen to be born in Germany.. which is just an outstanding country after all. However nobody understands my desire to meet these people again and to spend time maybe even my life with them. Most of my friends (the ones I traveled with in OZ and NZ) couldn't understand my love for Asian people. Just like the Western group in the so called Hostels all around Australia, New Zealand and so on which I mentioned.. hell even Sweden..

Both of you.. you guys are the reason why I hate the western society. You are the reason why I can not go out without ending up in a bar fight and you are the reason why this place is cold. I want to be the furthest away from you people and also why are you in a Japan Forum anyway. These weeaboos right..you guys are the reason why I do not want any part of your culture anymore. Maybe when you guys change someday.. you guys are the reason for my dislike towards the Western society.

But you guys won't ever get that either.. because yea weeaboos right, dummys

tenmins 04-06-2011 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyCooper (Post 860388)
Everytime when I visited a new Hostel, Asians were looked down on just like you said, weeaboos or something which isn't cool... yeah right..

Asian's were alone most of the time, spending there times with fellow Koreans/Japanese.. they just couldn't find a way to get into the Western people group or feel that they would belong there. Western people, ... , looked down at them ... It's sickened me so much,

Whenever I see this treatment of asians by caucasians as second class human beings in Australia (which unfortunately is all too often) it makes me sigh and think "What small people living in their small little world". They never stop to think that when you compare even just one asian country such as Japan to Australia on population, economy, depth of culture and history and general influence in what goes on in the world it is like comparing lions to stink beetles.

BobbyCooper 04-06-2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenmins (Post 860391)
Whenever I see this treatment of asians by caucasians as second class human beings in Australia (which unfortunately is all too often) it makes me sigh and think "What small people living in their small little world". They never stop to think that when you compare even just one asian country such as Japan to Australia on population, economy, depth of culture and history and general influence in what goes on in the world it is like comparing lions to stink beetles.

It was one of the most depressing things I have learned in life. People just can't and probably won't ever see in the next upcoming century's how lovely, how funny and just how wonderful these people are. I lost almost all my desire and Respect to life in the Western Society after I had to witness this incredible disrespectful beahviour in every god damn Hostel..

only a small group of Western people will appreciate the love and kindness of Asian people. I am very happy that you are one of them tenmins.

I thought I would find like-minded persons in a Japan Forum, even if you have to sieve.

mousee09 04-06-2011 01:44 AM

Quote:

Asian's were alone most of the time, spending there times with fellow Koreans/Japanese.. they just couldn't find a way to get into the Western people group or feel that they would belong there. Western people, especially dummys like you guys, looked down at them for being something which people like you call weird all the time. It's sickened me so much, that I wanted to experince how it would be like to travel with 2 or 3 Korean's/Japanese alone. After this experience I wanted ZERO part of morons like you two anymore.

How do you know this type of attitude isnt just because they want to be around people who are similiar to them? I see this in the states people mostly hang out with their own ethnicity and i see that here in Japan as well. It not that we dont want to hang out with Japanese people BECAUSE WE DO, but it is extremely difficult with the culture here.

Difficult as in western culture when you may meet someone the first time and hit it off well and go and hang out with them next day, but here in japan that doesnt happen "very" often. it a different culture and it takes time. Most people are busy and if you dont see that person everyday or a couple times a week, then it even harder!

But im not complaining, i am starting to form relationship with people but it has taken 8 months and im only going to be here for 11 months, i may be extending this year. I like japan but it like a rollercoaster ride, one minute I am high and happy and the next I want to run for the hills.

But i think what help me was to not have so high expectation like some of you here who thinks like in japan is just AMAZING! Well it is sometimes and it not others times. Do more research too! that awesome helps :mtongue:

manganimefan227 04-06-2011 02:09 AM

You will find all sorts of people in all races. There are many heart warming white/black/mideast/hispanc people and there are mean Aisans. So ;look for kind people in al races

Ehayes 04-06-2011 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBraden (Post 860354)
I flew out of Misawa on JAS to Haneda.... I'm sure that JAL still has flights there. Misawa has a small airport, but it should have daily flights to Tokyo's Haneda. They use the same runway as the military base. JAL flight 1225 flies in the morning at the cost of 29,670 yen....

As far as I know, the Tohoku Shinkansen isn't operating on all of its track to this day.

So since last I knew, NEX was still out of operation, how do I get to Haneda? Thanks Oh yeah, my flight does not get in until 3pm

JohnBraden 04-06-2011 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ehayes (Post 860401)
So since last I knew, NEX was still out of operation, how do I get to Haneda? Thanks Oh yeah, my flight does not get in until 3pm

Friendly Airport Limousine Airport Limousine Bus-Airport Transport Service Co., Ltd has an interairport service.

Japan Airlines flight JL1229 leaves Haneda (HND) at 1720 and lands at Misawa (MSJ) at 1835.... The return flights leave at 0955, 1555 and 1915, arriving HND at 1115, 1715 and 2035. You can book it on Travelocity for $726 round trip....

Now, even though 2hrs 20min may seem a tad close between connections, there have been discussions here about this and most people here thought it is doable....

StonerPenguin 04-06-2011 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aniki (Post 860386)
Another thread where weaboos can share their dreams and visions of a fantasy land called Japan.

Dejavu all over again.

Yeah, dogsbody had the same thing happen in a similar thread. Whacha gonna do?

Quote:

So you're saying Asians are weeaboos I get it.. lol^^

Haha. No, you don't get it LOL. Seriously, one google could've told you what a weeaboo was. A weeaboo is
Quote:

A non-Japanese person who basically denounces their own culture and calls themselves Japanese.
Further reading --> Wapanese/Weeaboo - Encyclopedia Dramatica

I wasn't making fun of Asian people, I just think stupid western people who believe they're Asian/Japanese are hilarious. So you COMPLETELY misinterpreted what I said, thought I was racist against Asian people (I guess) and made a bunch of generalizations about me and what a horrible 'dummy' westerner I was even though all you've seen from me was a small blurb of text.

I love the Japanese culture, I wouldn't have studied Japanese for 8 years and become a freelance translator if I hated Japanese people. I have no idea why you assume I look down on people of other races. If anyone does this it's you.

My comment wasn't even that mean. I said your comment 'sounded like such a delusional weeaboo thing to say' which is true (considering what weeaboo actually means). I didn't directly call you a weeaboo. Moreover, you insulted me a lot for no particular reason. Your post was incredibly childish. You could've shared your differing opinion without being a crybaby about it the way JamboP26 did. He's the same age as I am (younger than you) and he was much more mature about this than you were. Just because somebody has a different opinion doesn't make them 'HOMG cold horrible racist westerners' who personally seek opportunities to make you feel sad :mtongue:

Good lord dude, get a grip!
"Hey Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his butthurt level!?"
You guys know the answer ;)

GoNative 04-06-2011 05:44 AM

Well I found pretty much exactly what I was looking for when I moved to Japan. I wanted to live in a place that had snow to sea level. Hokkaido has snow to sea level for almost 5 months. I wanted to live and work at a ski resort, in the ski industry. I've done that for almost 8 years. I wanted to live a simpler, less consumeristic lifestyle. Rural Hokkaido is a great place for that. I wanted to live close to the outdoors with easy access to mountains, rivers, lakes and beaches. Within an hour of my house I have an abundance of all of those (many within 10mins of my house). I wanted to live in a close community, the sort of place where when you drive to work you know half the people in the cars you pass. Where the community does a lot of events and things together, where you know nearly everyone by name. I got that here as well.
Nothing in the above had anything really to do with Japanese culture. I knew almost nothing about Japan before coming here and had little interest in it at all beyond the fact that Japan had areas to live that fit the criteria above that I was looking for. I've come to love many aspects of the culture and am also incredibly frustrated by many aspects of it. I've lived in a community though that is not what you could call typical Japan. It is a mixed foreign/Japanese community where most people speak english and have travelled a lot. Many are here for similar reasons aas myself, getting away from the ratrace in the west or other parts of Japan to live a lifestyle centred around the outdoors and in particular winter sports. Instead of a lifestyle centred around materialism and making lots of money. Most people here earn very little money but they have lives full of adventure and great experiences. Living in this community has been one of the best experiences of my life that's for sure.

RealJames 04-06-2011 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoNative (Post 860419)
Well I found pretty much exactly what I was looking for when I moved to Japan. I wanted to live in a place that had snow to sea level. Hokkaido has snow to sea level for almost 5 months. I wanted to live and work at a ski resort, in the ski industry. I've done that for almost 8 years. I wanted to live a simpler, less consumeristic lifestyle. Rural Hokkaido is a great place for that. I wanted to live close to the outdoors with easy access to mountains, rivers, lakes and beaches. Within an hour of my house I have an abundance of all of those (many within 10mins of my house). I wanted to live in a close community, the sort of place where when you drive to work you know half the people in the cars you pass. Where the community does a lot of events and things together, where you know nearly everyone by name. I got that here as well.
Nothing in the above had anything really to do with Japanese culture.

That's funny, a lot of those things you mentioned are very similar to parts of Canada I've been in.

I thought you had to go back to Aus? Did you bail on that to stay in Japan?

GoNative 04-06-2011 05:55 AM

No still leaving unfortunately. Wife's decision, not mine! :mad:

I looked at living in Canada. I have spent a whole winter in BC before working for a heli-ski company and loved the place. It was just easier to get a sponsored work visa to Japan than to Canada otherwise I may well have ended up there.