JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Japanese Help Questions/Translations II (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/40084-japanese-help-questions-translations-ii.html)

Sumippi 10-28-2011 04:19 AM

>cpaoutsourcing
>I am a native English speaker with a high degree of expertise (former editor of the
>scholarly journal with a graduate degree-level humanities). I am fluent in Japanese, but
>not fluently. Take these factors into consideration when I give you good advice in both
>languages.

→ふいた!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyleGoetz (Post 884509)
Just so you know, I'm a lawyer. Want me to sue you for copyright infringement?

いけいけ~

Sumippi 10-28-2011 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hitotsz (Post 884442)
ネズミくんふいたww

「ふいた」=「笑った。」「ものすごくおもしろかった 。」

「ネズミくんふいた」='Nezumi-kun' was too funny lol!/What Nezumi-kun just said was so funny lol.

「ふく(吹く)」is a colloquial word used by young people, I think it's a shortened form for 「ふきだす(吹き出す)」, 'to laugh out/let go a suppressed laugh/burst into laughter.'

masaegu 10-28-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumippi (Post 884737)

ガ~ン、そんな意味あったんだあ。ネット用語なのかな 、それともただのジェネレーションギャップ?

Sumippi 10-29-2011 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masaegu (Post 884794)
ガ~ン、そんな意味あったんだあ。ネット用語なのかな 、それともただのジェネレーションギャップ?

ジェネレーションギャップだと思います!(^o^)/うふふ� ��

hitotsz 10-30-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumippi (Post 884737)

「ネズミくんふいた」='Nezumi-kun' was too funny lol!/What Nezumi-kun just said was so funny lol.

「ふく(吹く)」is a colloquial word used by young people, I think it's a shortened form for 「ふきだす(吹き出す)」, 'to laugh out/let go a suppressed laugh/burst into laughter.'

Thank you. Korean uses the same verb used by young people too, it's normally used for things like this:

뿜다
gush, belch, spout, spurt, fume

매연을 뿜다
emit[discharge] exhaust gas[fumes]

증기를 뿜다
give off steam

열기를 뿜다
radiate[give off] heat

물줄기를 뿜다
send up a column[jet] of water

-------
Korean-Japanese dictionary
뿜다
[타동사]

1.吹ふき出だす; 吹ふく; 噴ふく; 噴出ふんしゅつする; 吐はく。

2.吹ふきかける; 霧きりを吹ふく。

hitotsz 10-31-2011 01:42 AM

what does this mean?

自分の弱さ 知らないままに ただ"強さ"はきちがえてた

It's from the song "Sylvia" Janne Da Arc  シルビア - YouTube

Sumippi 10-31-2011 02:14 AM

自分の弱さ(を)知らないままに Without knowing my weakness
ただ、強さ(とは何かを)はきちがえてた I only misunderstood what it is to be strong

はきちがえる=履き違える、to misunderstand

hitotsz 10-31-2011 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumippi (Post 885048)
自分の弱さ(を)知らないままに Without knowing my weakness
ただ、強さ(とは何かを)はきちがえてた I only misunderstood what it is to be strong

はきちがえる=履き違える、to misunderstand

Thank you.

I have another question. Can 'kirei' be pronounced like 'kire-'? I'm confused which words ending in 'ei' is pronounced like 'e-' and 'ou', 'o-'.

KyleGoetz 10-31-2011 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hitotsz (Post 885056)
Thank you.

I have another question. Can 'kirei' be pronounced like 'kire-'? I'm confused which words ending in 'ei' is pronounced like 'e-' and 'ou', 'o-'.

Yes, it is. A good rule of thumb that will be accurate almost every time (there may be a few examples I can't think of offhand) is: (1) えい=ええ、おう=おお; unless (2) the え and い (or お/う) are conceptually "divided."

For example, imagine one kanji that ends with お and the next begins with う. This is the conceptual division I'm speaking of. In that case, it's pronounced おう, not おお. For example, in お歌, the お is the honorific prefix, and 歌 is a separate noun, so they are conceptually distinct things. Thus, they are pronounced おうた and not おおた.

Further, to quote Japanese Wikipedia:
Quote:

「えい」「おう」と書かれる文字は、発音上は「ええ」 「おお」と同じく長母音 [eː] [oː] として発音されることが一般的である(「けい」「こう 」など、頭子音が付いた場合も同様)。すなわち、「衛 星」「応答」は「エーセー」「オートー」のように発音 される。ただし、九州や四国南部・西部、紀伊半島南部 などでは「えい」を [ei] と発音する[32]。また軟骨魚のエイなど、語彙によって二重母音になる ことがあるが、これには個人差がある。一文字一文字丁 寧に発話する場合には「えい」を [ei] と発音する話者も多い。歌詞として2拍で歌う場合はた� �てい「い」をはっきり発音する (i.e. 「えーいーえーんにー」といった風)。

My rough translation:
In general, the written forms "ei" and "ou", when pronounced, are "ee" and "oo" with the same elongated vowel "e:" and "o:" ("kei" "kou" etc. with some consonant at the beginning [of the vowel pairs] is the same). That is, "eisei" and "outou" are pronounced "eesee" and "ootoo."

However, in Kyuushuu, the S. and W. parts of Shikoku, and the S. part of Kii peninsula "ei" is pronounced "ei." Also, there are diphthongs in the lexicon such as the chondrichthyes [a taxonomic class of sea animals] "rei" [in English, "ray" or "sting ray" or "manta ray"], but this is based on personal preference.

There are also many people who pronounce "ei" as "ei" to sound more polite. Also, when singing a song, the "e/i" distinction might be clearly sung. [The Japanese then illustrates by showing how 永遠(えいえん) may be sung えーいーえーん in a slow song).

RenanF0X 10-31-2011 01:45 PM

help plz >.<

Hello buddies!

Well, taking advantage of this topic, I'd like a little bit of help from you ^^
Here's the deal: I want to make a tatoo with a phrase written in japanese, it's a quotation from Zack Fair, a FFVII character. I've alrdy searched on the internet but couldn't find a reliable answer :(
The phrase in English is "Embrace your dreams."
Besides the translation (in japanese characteres preferably) I'd apreciate some advice about cool font styles ^^

Thank you!