JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
AsianAtHeart (Offline)
Linguist in training

10-22-2008, 07:05 AM

My whole perspective VK has been slowly slipping away ever since the whole Western-Europe J-rock boom. Looks like actual Visual Kei doesn't really exist anymore to most overseasers, just....well, plain J-rock, which is slowly becoming unhealthily Americanized to me >.>'. *cough*Direngrey*cough*

Visual Kei was a breath of fresh air for me three years ago, now it's just....meh.
(#52 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

10-22-2008, 05:33 PM

Alright, now that I have more time to put my whole thoughts into this, allow me to comment everything I can.

Firstly, Dir en grey. I loved their old work, literally loved it. 'Gauze' and 'Macabre' were simply amazing. Well thought out, and beautifully amazing songs. I noticed Dir en grey changing as they started to bring out 'Kisou'. The songs were slowly getting much more harder than usually. When 'Vulgar' came out, I saw that my correlation was correct. I still liked their music, however. But when 'Withering to Death' came out, I realised that I only liked a few of their songs, and I despised 'The Marrow of a Bone', the songs were transformed form their old beauty, into some ... noise. Now, I don't know about you all, but I dislike non stop screaming songs.

However, listening to Glass Skin, I loved it. And I have new hope for it. I am hoping 'Uroboros' is less scream, and more melody.

Now, thinking back on it, I can imagine two reasons why they stopped their old music and old look. Or, no. Three reasons.

First: It's only usual, they were going to America and the west, and wanted to adapt their music to mostly what people over there listen to. And what's that? Metal. So, they decided to make more screamy songs.

Second: It happens to all bands. Metallica and X-Japan did it. They got bored or their old look. Metallica cut their hair, for example. X-Japan cut theirs, and went for a more 'tame' look. Dir en grey might of simply gotten bored of their look.

Third: Here's a deeper reason. Visual kei used to be a way to describe, and visually illustrate the emotions in their songs. Dir en grey, itself means "Written in grey". They used their clothes to show the songs emotions and 'dark' feelings. When they realised, like many of us, that "Visual Kei" has become something cute, and about pink dresses, maybe they decided to experiment with another way to show their song's emotions.

Now, secondly, The GazettE. Regardless of the fact that they are regarded as a "fangirl" band, I think they still are doing a well job with their music. Ruki's singing has improved VERY well. It's provided the band many many ways to experiment with their songs. And they're doing a good job. I think The GazettE should be praised, and should infact, not be blamed for the change in VK. Heard of ScReW? That's a GazettE wanna-be for sure.

Thirdly, I have no idea how anyone could call Malice Mizer, X-Japan or any of those old bands as "crap" or "okay". As far as I'm concerned, they are the very pinnacle of Visual Kei. The very PILLARS and foundation of VK. Malice Mizer for their looks, and X-Japan for their music. They were the last of their kind, and there are VERY few bands that have been able to keep the feeling of the genre moving, or the old bands amazing music. Do not take this offensively, for I always speak my mind, but a person who finds the old bands crap, has no say on how "bad" VK has become. I mean, how can you compare the present and the past, when you proclaim both as bad?

I disagree that VK is all about the 'looks', thats the thinking of a very deluded person, in my opinion. If you listen to VK, and let's say, western rock, you can clearly tell the difference in the music.

The day I heard An-Cafe was the day where I started to lose hope for the future of JRock. I have ScReW and Sadie on my iPod for example, but I use them a simple substitutes or GazettE and Dir en grey. They sound the same. There are few bands these days which try any experimenting, or try to sound different.

Naitomea and Versailles are a prime example of this. They manage to sound different, yet keep the feeling alive. abingdon school boys, are very great with their songs, I enjoy them alot.

Girugamesh is pretty well put together, although, I sense alot of western influence in their music. D'espairsRay's music is intriguing to say the least, although I dislike their latest album. Alot. Phantasmagoria were pretty amazing aswell. I enjoyed their music alot, albeit, I have to be in a particular mood to listen to them.

It's a shame Rentrer en Soi split, Protoplasm was a simply amazing piece of music. I couldn't get it out of my head.

As always, Miyavi has been progressing REALLY well music, I can never get enough of that guy. I listened to a few songs of a band called MONORAL, and seriously, only god knows what the fuck those are up to.

I find myself leaning towards Indie JRock mostly these days, like Asian Kung Fu Generation, and the like. Here's a band I recommend though, I just happened to find them. They are called Serial Number, and they are pretty good actually.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -

Last edited by Salvanas : 10-22-2008 at 06:31 PM.
(#53 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
10-22-2008, 06:12 PM

You made several good points there, Salvanas, but this one really struck a chord with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post
It's only usual, they were going to America and the west, and wanted to adapt their music to mostly what people over there listen to. And what's that? Metal. So, they decided to make more screamy songs.
Its seems strange for me to say the detraction for VK for me is that shift towards American styles because I was a sound tech for local heavy metal band a few years back.

But among other reasons for leaving was their continual shift into the "screaming" instead of singing that you referred to. No amount of good lyrics (since you couldn't understand half of them) or great guitar licks could overcome that aspect for me. Yes, vocalized passion is a signature of Metal, but somewhere along the way its been exchanged for just shouting at the top of ones lungs (not vocal range). I think this may be why I moved away from VK so quickly as it became more westernized.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
clairebear (Offline)

10-22-2008, 06:32 PM

ScReW are Gazette wannabes? D:
(#55 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

10-22-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
You made several good points there, Salvanas, but this one really struck a chord with me.

Its seems strange for me to say the detraction for VK for me is that shift towards American styles because I was a sound tech for local heavy metal band a few years back.

But among other reasons for leaving was their continual shift into the "screaming" instead of singing that you referred to. No amount of good lyrics (since you couldn't understand half of them) or great guitar licks could overcome that aspect for me. Yes, vocalized passion is a signature of Metal, but somewhere along the way its been exchanged for just shouting at the top of ones lungs (not vocal range). I think this may be why I moved away from VK so quickly as it became more westernized.
I agree here. It was only a possibility, like I was saying. I really dislike constant screaming in a song. Now and then adds something, but non stop is just noise.

Quote:
ScReW are Gazette wannabes? D:
They sound exactly the same. When I first heard Vegas, I was like " Shit, you sure it's not the GazettE?"

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#56 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
10-22-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touya View Post
Don't forget Rentrer En Soi and Kagerou as well.
Did they split up? D:

I was talking about disbanded... Bands.

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.
(#57 (permalink))
Old
lself (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-22-2008, 08:54 PM

@salvanas- I liked your points too. As much as i like An Cafe, i've gotta admit they are not jrock, so don't despair for jrock! Miyavi is awesome always, i agree! Also, if you like indie jrock type music, have you heard of Ogre You Asshole? They are freaking amazing! My sis says they are really great live too. Also i agree that Dir en Grey has got way too screamy, it's very unpleasant.
(#58 (permalink))
Old
Touya (Offline)
JRock Priest/BDay Guru

Send a message via AIM to Touya Send a message via Yahoo to Touya
10-22-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aota View Post
Did they split up? D:

I was talking about disbanded... Bands.
From what I was lead to understand they've been disbanded. Technically so has Phantasmagoria even though they're still doing live shows....

I think Salvanas made a good point about the copy cat bands. I think because of how popular some of the bands are it's setting an "I want to be just like them" trend instead of being original. I think when people figure out it's okay to be original instead of just like everyone else, we may get some decent bands created.
(#59 (permalink))
Old
clairebear (Offline)

10-22-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
They sound exactly the same. When I first heard Vegas, I was like " Shit, you sure it's not the GazettE?"
Oh well, you're not the first person to say that. [Although they've also been compared to DEG. Sigh.] But seriously, I'm sick of people comparing every band to Gazette...like they're idols to all Jrockers or something. But I dont listen to Gazette, so I wouldnt notice any similarities between them and ScReW's music.

People cant really expect all Jrock bands [especially who are on the same record label] to sound completely different though.
(#60 (permalink))
Old
TheCrimson (Offline)
Träumst du?

10-22-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:

Now, secondly, The GazettE. Regardless of the fact that they are regarded as a "fangirl" band, I think they still are doing a well job with their music. Ruki's singing has improved VERY well. It's provided the band many many ways to experiment with their songs. And they're doing a good job. I think The GazettE should be praised, and should infact, not be blamed for the change in VK. Heard of ScReW? That's a GazettE wanna-be for sure.

Thirdly, I have no idea how anyone could call Malice Mizer, X-Japan or any of those old bands as "crap" or "okay". As far as I'm concerned, they are the very pinnacle of Visual Kei. The very PILLARS and foundation of VK. Malice Mizer for their looks, and X-Japan for their music. They were the last of their kind, and there are VERY few bands that have been able to keep the feeling of the genre moving, or the old bands amazing music. Do not take this offensively, for I always speak my mind, but a person who finds the old bands crap, has no say on how "bad" VK has become. I mean, how can you compare the present and the past, when you proclaim both as bad?

I LOVE the GazettE. i honestly think they're a good bunch, and the music is probably the only thing from Japan at the moment that can make me go WOW, still.
and yeah, as much as i dont like to say it, they're a fangirl band. but i think the difference is, these guys can actually make music that's good to the ears. i do prefer them in their indies days though. much more odd and noisy =) noisy is good.

X Japan's not crap, i give them kudos for lasting as long as they have and they know their stuff. they're not just there to look pretty.
and Malice Mizer is definitely one of the first to put their fingers inside the whole looking like a tranny thing.
i dont know how some people view that as attractive tho...
but their music is just so hollow, there's no substance to it. Mana should never have been allowed to write music.
and their not the last of their kind.
check out Storm Rider. they have a similar sound to X, and they dont try to look pretty either. they're pretty fucking technical too, that guitarist sweeps like a nutbag.
and look at GPKISM. Ken is a carbon copy of Mana. Bad looks and bad music.
(sorry people who know about my problem, i couldnt find another example right now, i like just woke up)

and Claire, are you talking about PSC trying to make all their bands sound the same again? xDDDDDDDDDDDD